Anyone with kids at Nord Anglia/Kings Barsha/Repton/Foremarke? | ExpatWoman.com

Anyone with kids at Nord Anglia/Kings Barsha/Repton/Foremarke?

Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 16:10

Hi all,
Hoping you can help
Looking into schools for my son for 2016 FS1 and came across the above schools. Do any of you have children at any of the schools above (Repton/Kings Barsha/Foremarke/Nord Anglia) if so can you give me an honest opinion both good and bad and if you had ever considered any of the other ones instead before making your decision? Unfortunately my gut isn't helping me. Obviously cost is ridiculous at some of them and location of some are a bit further out but taking that out of my thought process at the moment. Thanks everyone appreciate it in advance!!!

Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 10:45
We did a lot of research on schools but did go with NAS in the end and one year on we can definitely say that we've made the right choice.
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 17:48
Debz31 there are lots of posts about all these schools in previous threads if you do a search. We are a Kings Al Barsha family. In a nutshell: The staff are excellent. VERY high quality staff are obviously employed by the school. Excellent staff lead to excellent attainment.:) Management are superb. There are layers and layers of great, professional people in charge. The primary sections of the school where my children are, are complete and everything needed is available. Im very surprised to hear you saw a wire hanging down.......In 8 months in the school there has not been one time that I saw anything that remotely resembled 'unsafe' despite a lot of work going on. No other parent has ever mentioned anything of this calibre either. My children have excelled this last year. I'm astounded by the progress they have made under their excellent teachers. I am a teacher but ( sorry to the previous misguided poster) I do not work in Kings. I have though worked in many schools in Dubai and what we have experienced in Kings, academically and staff wise, so far, have hands down been the best. Rather than being too caught up in how glitzy a school is, ask about the staff. What are their qualifications? BEd or Degree in candle making, one year PGCE and boom they're in the classroom ? Ask from what schools here or in the UK have the staff come from. How many years experience, on average, do the teachers have? The vast majority (if not all) staff in Kings come from outstanding schools. Good luck with your search, its such a relief when you find the right school for your family :)
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 16:17
Hi all, Hoping you can help Looking into schools for my son for 2016 FS1 and came across the above schools. Do any of you have children at any of the schools above (Repton/Kings Barsha/Foremarke/Nord Anglia) if so can you give me an honest opinion both good and bad and if you had ever considered any of the other ones instead before making your decision? Unfortunately my gut isn't helping me. Obviously cost is ridiculous at some of them and location of some are a bit further out but taking that out of my thought process at the moment. Thanks everyone appreciate it in advance!!! My daughter currently goes to one of the French schools, but as a "Plan B" we had her down for a couple of British schools. I did a fair bit of research and was most impressed with Nord Anglia - we would have sent her there without a qualm had she not got into the French school. Incidentally, even if your son does not speak French, they are thinking of having an "English Stream", so it might be worth contacting them (I.C.E., Meydan). Good luck!
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 12:16
I will give you the same advice I give everyone...get a school close to your accommodations. Do not drive from one side of town to the other for a school (even if it is 'doable'). Your children and you will become miserable spending half your day stuck in traffic and basically living in a car. Good luck with your decision! :)
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 12:13
We're also happy Repton parents. yes the theatre is not completed but to be honest, it hasn't been an issue for us. One of my children have performed in many events (music, dance and class performances). I have an older child who is very academic and sporty and she loves it, and my other child, neither and she loves it. The school has met both of their needs in different ways. Yes, the school is much much bigger than one they would go to at home but its had a positive effect in that they have gained a substantial amount of confidence and is certainly not intimidated by peers of all ages.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 22:48
Hi there Debz31, We left from one of the Gems school. My kids were just not very happy, not doing well academically, lacking confidence and location :) Also many of there friends left and went back to there home countries, so we just needed a change! I can honestly not put my finger on a specific reason, the school did just not work for them. When will the theatre be finished, that's a good question! I don't know, and i don't think Repton know either!! Again this is not a huge concern for me at the moment, maybe in a few more years. When i was a child at school we used sports halls and classrooms, and really did not make a difference to my up bringing! I believe all the schools you have brought up are good in there own ways. I also have a child with some mild learning disabilities, and Repton are really making an effort with the extra support, which i do know is not available at some of the school you have listed above and throughout Dubai in general. As everyone says, best to view and go with what you feel, and how your kids feel. We live in motor city, takes approx 25 mins to Repton, if you leave around 7am. Otherwise you will meet traffic, with lots of mum's / dad's / drivers all pushing and shoving to gain that extra car space :)
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 19:12
:) thanks so much!!!
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 17:02
We decided on NAS because...... They had places for both our children It is British curriculum The school isn't huge The facilities are very good (and were finished!) The lady who showed us around was lovely My children are very happy there despite the early starts and long days! Admittedly we only saw 4 other schools- one GEMS one was too big, Kings that wasn't finished, one that could take my son but not my daughter and a very scruffy, cramped one! So not much competition really.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 16:27
Thanks bLUE413 that is a shame but like you said there isn't much they can do if you have to include 3 hours of Arabic. Definitely liked NAS alot as the school looked great, facilities and teachers were really helpful. Most importantly children looked happy! Why did you go with that school out of all the others available?
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 16:15
Hi If you forced me to say something that was not as positive about NAS then..... I would say that the time spent teaching Geography and History in the secondary school is too little (1lesson for each per week). This won't affect your child for a while yet obviously! And I know that the timetable is limited because 3 hours a week is spent teaching compulsive Arabic so there is little they can do.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 15:53
Thanks all - Dubai eye1 - I am planning on going to see Repton next week. In regard to the theatre when is this going to be finished? where were your children before and why did you decide to leave (if you dont mind me asking)? -lovingthesun & blue413 - I liked NAS it seemed like they were not all talk. They had proven schools globally, great facilities and the staff seemed lovely. If you had to say anything negatively (or not as positively about NAS) what would you say? I went to see Kings Al Barsha last week and being honest was a bit disappointed. The site on the outside looked promising and obviously the reputation of the original Kings school. But within the school it seemed half finished with the foundation classes very plain, wires hanging not secure, empty spaces with no excitement to it. Maybe this will all change when it is completed and/or maybe my expectation was a little too high - obviously this is only basing a school on the superficial element, so would be interested to hear from Kings al Barsha parents to hear if learning standards are met. Might also take a look at hartland as well but obviously its a bit harder to judge as the school wont be open until September but have heard the teaching team they have got together is really good.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 08:32
I agree, go and have a look around the schools. This forum will not give you an unbiased point of view because parents will almost always favour the school that their children go to. For me one of the most important things was the size of the school and the number of classes per yer group. My son is 8 and had spent his time at school up to coming here at a very small village school in England. I didn't want him to feel completely overwhelmed by the number of other kids- some of the schools have 10 classes per year and over 3000 in total! Another consideration is where you plan to live.......and how your child is going to get to school. Ideally you would actually get the school place first and then get accommodation. My children go to Nord Anglia and I would recommend it to anyone. When I was deciding we went to see Kings Al Barsha and the secondary school hadn't been completed and there were rumours that they were having cash flow issues........but as previously said, don't just take my (or anyone else's) word for it! Good luck x
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 05:54
Take a look at whichschooladvisor.com Mine are at Nord Anglia which is a great school but also most likely doesn't have places (though maybe for 2016 FS1 you might be lucky). This site is often a remarkably bad place for schools info I have decided as many people on here must work for the schools (I realise this is an ironic comment given what I'm writing now!) as some things which are indefensible are defended with no sense of shame. You need to look elsewhere for honest opinion and then go and visit. Sure do your research here but don't use it as your only source of information.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 23:12
My kids are at Repton, very happy with the School. We left from another school to go to Repton, apart from the theater not being completed, all other facilities are very good, glad we made the move.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY