Winter wear for vacation in New Zealand in July. | ExpatWoman.com

Winter wear for vacation in New Zealand in July.

Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 10:01

My family and I are visiting New Zealand in July and I am trying to decide what all we would need to be warm. We are visiting Auckland & Queenstown, and would be spending time at a Snow Park at Queenstown as well.

Since the coldest we have experienced is the Abu Dhabi winters here, could really use some pointers in the right direction.
What do we need and where could we buy from here in Dubai, thats reasonably priced?

We have the following:
- Below knee length (warmth rate 4) thick hooded jacket for DS.
(inner lining thick wool like, outer waterproof material)
- Below knee length (polyester in & out) hooded jacket.
- Knee length (felt/velvet exterior & polyester lining) ladies hooded jacket.
- Hooded sweaters (typically worn in UAE winter)

I am thinking we would need these:
- thick wool gloves
- waterproof boots for snow?
- thick socks
- thermal innerwear
- warm woollen cap? for DS (he's 7 and very skinny.. so would need all the layers he can get I assume?)

Have I missed anything or included too much? Any idea where I can find these in dubai now as its middle of peak summer :( ? Outlet mall?

thanks ladies :)

Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 19:20
Thank you Cherpie, we are coming to Dubai this weekend and will surely drop in at Tchibo. Hopefully the sale is still happening this weekend as well. Daza, I guess what we have now, might be adequate if it gets cold in Auckland. So will get more appropriate wear for Queenstown. The snow park does have clothing rental, so will keep that as an option incase what we get from here proves to be inadequate once we are actually there. Mumto2, thanks for the tip about fleece sweater. I was under the impression it wasn’t warm enough, but will keep a look out for that as well, especially for DS. Mannikat & Mommypie2015, Will check out sun & sands at Outlet mall. We do hope to visit the Outlet mall and Tchibo so hopefully will find what we need at good prices.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 12:15
marks and spencer has fairly reasonably priced winter undergear with wool and polyester make. Don't go for cotton please. It will not help you at all battling the coldness. Try to visit the outlet mall of Sun and Sand Sports at the back of Gold and Diamond Park in Barsha. Or visit the Dubai Outlet mall for winter sale gear. They have all brands there like North Face, Columbia, etc...
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 11:26
Sun and sands behind mall of the emirates usually has a good range of winter gear with good discounts.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 11:13
Make sure to buy a fleece sweater/shirt. No matter how thin, fleece insulates and will help keep you warm. Make sure to cover up ears and neck. Definitely snow/waterproof boots. Wool socks. We usually wear usual clothes, then a fleece shirt/thin sweater and then our coats. Thermal pants, then pants, wool socks and snow boots. Fleece hat, ear muffs or a fleece band over the ears. I've put open face balaclavas (I've heard them called monkey hats here) on my kids as that would keep the ears and neck warm.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 10:12
There is a ski wear shop in Mall of the Emirates by Ski Dubai. I'd go with layering up long sleeve tops, jumpers etc however much you need with warm ski type jackets/trousers over the top when you are in Queenstown. It might be worth checking if you can hire snow boots for the snow park. There is a big temperature difference from Auckland to Queenstown, Auckland never gets freezing, Queenstown does.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 10:07
Hopefully someone can respond with more experience regarding NZ, but I can tell you for sure Tchibo has all of the above, they sell all the European ski type stuff as well. Their socks are very thick, like 4 layers cotton. They have hats, scarves, boots, everything. I was just there yesterday and they still had 30% off as well.