Contraceptive Implant Removal | ExpatWoman.com

Contraceptive Implant Removal

Latest post on 13 June 2015 - 19:34

Hi! I just wanted to start this thread, because I was recently trying to find info on getting the contraceptive implant in my left arm removed somewhere here in Dubai, and struggled to find any up-to-date details. Just thought other ladies might find it helpful!
All my friends who had found themselves in the same boat of having to have their implants removed chose to do so back in the UK, but sadly that wasn't an option for me. I have to say though, that it is the ONLY way to go if you want another one fitted - it's not something that's available here in Dubai.
I just wanted mine out - it had served its 3 years, and I had decided that I wanted to give myself a break from hormonal contraceptives for a bit, having basically been on them - in one form or another - for about 20 years (my GP originally put me on the pill when I was 13, under my mom's supervision, to regulate my unruly periods and help with my acne). I have to say though - despite all the things I've read online about people struggling with the implant, I found it wonderful! No periods for 3 years - yay!! Possibly some weight gain (although it's hard to say what was the implant, what was the injection before that, and what was just down to the Dubai lifestyle!!). On the whole I was really happy with it! :)
Anyway, after some faffing about and some very awkward conversations with clinic receptionist, I found a General Surgeon called Dr J. C. Mathais. He works across 2 clinics, and I originally saw him at the Mediclinic in Knowledge Village. He would have happily taken the thing out for me there and then, but - because it wasn't a procedure that was actually included on the clinic's price list, they would have charged me 2500dhs for it - which is just their lowest price for any generic procedure. Dr M kindly informed me that he could do the needful at the Dubai London Clinic Speciality Hospital instead, where it is included on the price list and costs only 1500dhs. I had an appointment with him there, 2 days later, and all went swimmingly - no pain, only a fairly righteous bruise, which makes my DH extra sympathetic but TBH doesn't hurt at all! And one tiny little stitch. In and out in under 20 mins. Can't say fairer than that! :)
The lovely Dr M. also shared with me some horror stories of botched jobs he's had to repair after gynecologists at various clinics had had a stab at removing implants themselves. Urgh! :( So glad I found Dr Mathias instead!
Anyway, hope some of this might be useful info for other lovely ladies out there. Honestly - the things we girlies have to go through! ;)

Latest post on 17 May 2017 - 14:38
I had my implanon removal done with Dr Amal at Al Mousa clinic on Al Wasl Road. AED500 (my implant was near the surface). Included local anesthetic and 1 stitch. She's lovely and I highly recommend her.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 10:10
I just wante to add to this thread and say thank you so much for this information!! - you have given me a solution to my problem!! I have only been living in Dubai for just over two months and prior to moving here I had the implant fitted. Previous to this I had taken the pill and then for the last year had the injection which I got on great with. Since moving to Dubai with my boyfriend (we are not married) I have been suffering headaches, which I blamed on dehydration, depressive mood swings, which I blamed on not starting work yet and severe hair loss, which like most people I blamed on the water system here. It wasn't until my hairdresser pointed more towards the implant that I had fitted only 5 days prior to arriving here! I was then panicked that I would have to lft back to the UK to have it removed and my job is due to start on Sunday! But thanks to this post I have been able to book into the Dubai London Specialty Clinic with an appointment for Saturday to have Dr Mathais remove it - I am so relieved! It is a pain that I have to pay the 1500dhs but I know this is the right decision for me. My second fear was "what will I do after?!" Having done some research it appeared that you can simply walk into a pharmacy and buy the daily pill over the counter...? And to my surprise this is correct! The cost varies on the pack but the pill I know my body accepts is 17.50dhs per month so I am so glad I have a solution! I hope this post is able to help other people as much as the information helped me!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY