Coming in August | ExpatWoman.com

Coming in August

Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 01:32

Hello, I have a few question if you could please help me. I'm coming there soon from America with the USAF with my 3 children (2 girls & 1 boy) going into grades 5th, 3rd & kindergarten. Can you please tell me which are the best schools there and why you feel that way and how hard is it to get them in. The other questions is do you feel it is better to rent/lease a car while you are there then to bring your own. We will be there for two years. We are bringing our two cats has anyone had any issues with that? Also is there anything you wish you would have known in hindsight to bring or not to bring or do that you can tell me.

Thank you for your time and information.

Latest post on 14 July 2015 - 12:12
Hi Wiggie, We live in Y Village and we really like it. I have a daughter who is also going into 3rd grade and a son going into 2nd and they have lots of friends around the compound and the facilities are not bad compared to many of the other compounds in Doha. A lot of people think its a bit far but compared to the amount of driving we used to do in the US everything here is pretty close. Our kids go to GEMS American Academy at the moment and are on the waiting list at ASD (and they have been for the past year). We've had a decent experience at GEMS so far but will switch to ASD if a spot becomes available because I feel its a better fit for our kids. Happy to answer any further questions you may have in more detail about schools, the compound, and the move to Doha....
Latest post on 14 July 2015 - 11:26
Hi - Y Village is not in a bad location. If your kids do get in ASD, it is not far. I just saw people talking about this compound on another forum and everyone had nice things to say. Leasing a car is a lot more expensive than buying. Even if only for two years. Kid's books and toys can be pricey. I would bring those. We have IKEA here so decent furniture isn't really an issue. Your place may come furnished anyway. One small thing - if your kids play sports, especially baseball, bring their gear. No new baseball stuff here but you can get some used things from the League. Other sporting stuff is pricey. You really can find just about everything here or suitable substitutes.
Latest post on 14 July 2015 - 05:27
We are only allowed to ship 2,500 pounds for our stuff, the rest of our stuff in our home will be packed and put in storage. That's why I was asking if there were certain items. I was told that we might be living in y-village, does anyone have thoughts about that location? The good and bad. Do any of you lease a car if so how much is it costing you and do you recommend a place. I think we are going to need 2 cars.
Latest post on 12 July 2015 - 23:45
Wiggie, it's far easier to give you an answer to your last question if you take a few moments and decide what you or the children couldn't live without (or without a lot of tears and frustration). Favourite cereal or skin cream for example. A lot are available here but others aren't. Also remember that certain items that contain pork in any way shape or form (instant pudding for example, contains pork gelatin as the setting agent) are NOT available here. Real vanilla extract isn't either because it is packed in alcohol. Take a look through your cupboards and review your kids' favourites and come back. If we've seen it, we'll be able to let you know.
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 16:50
Hi Tulip, Just seen your post &realised that two of your children are probably similar ages to mine. We're also coming in August & my boys are due to go into Year 5 & Year 3 (British /International curriculum). Would be interested to hear your school place experiences, as I've been told by hubby's company that the children can't even apply for school places until they have their residence visas.... I don't know how true this is?? Have you been advised differently? Good luck with the move :)
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 16:22
I think your children should be fine with a different curriculum. There will be some differences, but they will adjust. We had a bad impression of ACS. Disorganized and unprofessional. Coupled with their lease issues, I wouldn't want to send my kids there. Compass International School seems to be ok. But I think they have a waitlist as well... for both campuses. One thing to think about... I don't know if the Air Force helps with your residence permits and RPs for the kids, or if you're exempt in some way because you're with the military... but the kids will have to have their residence permit in place before they can start school :-( You might want to check with whomever is coordinating your move to see how that is going to work. I also feel the same way about home schooling. I can totally relate to you not really wanting to do it. One thing to consider is, maybe staying behind until your kids get a place at school. I know it's not ideal, but maybe it's easier? Have you given GEMS a call? I think it's probably the best school at this point that might still have available spots for your kids...
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 15:08
Hi - I know several AF families that do home schooling even if it is only until they get a spot. I would definitely put them on the wait list at ASD and hope for the best. I know one lady had her kids in two different schools because she couldn't get them all in ASD. Her other kids went to Compass and she was happy with them there as well. You should check out Doha Home Educators on Facebook and you can get some more info about home schooling. They also have a forum you can join if you intend to home school. There are a lot of us that get together for the co-op as well. Home schooling, even for a little bit, will probably be much cheaper than registering them in a school you have no desire to keep them in for the long run. Good luck with the move!
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 12:55
As far as I know , ACS do not have a school uniform . My advice would be to apply to as many schools as you can . School places here are a BIG problem .
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 08:05
Apply anyway as soon as you can at all three, I would say. I would call as many schools as you can this week, while some of them are still in session. Sadly, some of the biggest companies in the country are laying off a lot of people at the moment. But on the positive side - this will probably result in more open spaces in schools. I think waiting lists will move much more quickly this summer than in the past years. For me, almost any school would be better than a homeschool option, but that's me. I would definitely look at another curriculum before going with homeschool. I don't know how well it works moving between curricula, maybe someone else has experience with that.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 22:07
Hi Wiggie, I agree with everything JillMV has written. I've been to the GEMS American Academy, and it's quite nice. I think parents are generally happy sending their kids there. They just got a new Principal and there's a lot of enthusiasm there. Does the USAF hold seats at any school for their transfers? ASD is very very hard to get into. My kids go there, it's a great school, but it took about 1.5 years on a wait list to get them there. I wouldn't bother with ACS. From what I've heard, GEMS will have bus service from certain pick up points around Doha, so driving all the way out to Al Wakra, won't be necessary. Unfortunately, most schools have uniforms here. I think ASD is one of the only ones who doesn't require students to wear one. There's a lot of British influence here.. and they like their school uniforms! But it can be quite handy, I think. No worries about what to wear to school in the mornings! At this point in time, it could be difficult to find a school that still has spaces for September. GEMS might have some left and there's another school -- the Qatar Finland International School - which might still have places. You can home school, but being new to the country for both you and your children, school is a good way to meet people - and friends for your kids. It is indeed a daunting experience - filling out school applications, getting all the necessary paperwork and documents together, etc. Good luck with everything! Thanks for the responding tulip327. No I wish the AF had some type of deal with someone but they don't. OMG it took you that long to get into ASD, I was so hoping to have a chance even being on a waiting list. I guess not. We can only be there for 2 years. I'm not even sure where they will be putting us yet for housing. Why would you not look at ACS? As far as the British schools do you think it would be hard for them to transition back to American schooling afterwards or are they kind of close? (spelling/writing/reading & meaning or math). I'm so nervous about home schooling, I'm just not sure I would do well with teaching them myself and I fell like they would suffer and they are at the time they need to learn from a good teacher (5th, 3rd & kindergarten) So much to figure out and do before 31 August is our report date (to be there by)
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:34
Hi Wiggie, I agree with everything JillMV has written. I've been to the GEMS American Academy, and it's quite nice. I think parents are generally happy sending their kids there. They just got a new Principal and there's a lot of enthusiasm there. Does the USAF hold seats at any school for their transfers? ASD is very very hard to get into. My kids go there, it's a great school, but it took about 1.5 years on a wait list to get them there. I wouldn't bother with ACS. From what I've heard, GEMS will have bus service from certain pick up points around Doha, so driving all the way out to Al Wakra, won't be necessary. Unfortunately, most schools have uniforms here. I think ASD is one of the only ones who doesn't require students to wear one. There's a lot of British influence here.. and they like their school uniforms! But it can be quite handy, I think. No worries about what to wear to school in the mornings! At this point in time, it could be difficult to find a school that still has spaces for September. GEMS might have some left and there's another school -- the Qatar Finland International School - which might still have places. You can home school, but being new to the country for both you and your children, school is a good way to meet people - and friends for your kids. It is indeed a daunting experience - filling out school applications, getting all the necessary paperwork and documents together, etc. Good luck with everything!
Latest post on 22 June 2015 - 23:53
Thanks for responding to me JillMV. Yes we will only be able to be there for 2 years. I sent ASD and email last week and they told me they were full for this coming school year...that was the one I really wanted that I had found online so far. I looked at ACS but I'm not a big fan of school uniforms because my kids are so hard to fit it seems. Are there any other school you would recommend looking at? Or if I'm not able to get them in a school I was told I would have to home school them are there any private teachers that would be able to help with that or I could pay to teach at home? It seems like there is a lot of paper work to be done for each school just to get on the waiting list or am I'm doing something wrong? Again thank you so much for your responds and time and information Wiggie
Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 10:36
Hi Wiggie, Assuming you want to stick with the American curriculum, your options are American School of Doha (ASD), GEMS American Academy and the American Community School (ACS). ASD is probably considered the most desired American school. It's been here the longest, has the best facilities and reputation. Everyone I know who has kids there is happy. It's located in Al Waab. It is one of the hardest schools to get into in Doha, and the hardest to get in of American curriculum. The good thing is that if one of your kids gets in, then the others move up the waitlist as there is sibling priority. GEMS looked very good to me when I looked at it. It has only been in Qatar one year, but is a chain school or sorts that is very popular in Dubai and other parts of the world. It's located in Wakra, which is a little south of Doha. If you're trying to live near the base, it may actually be fairly convenient, but if you're on the north side of town, it would be far. I think GEMS may be accepting more students than other schools because it is still fairly new and for many people, the location is not convenient. ACS is on the northern end of town and has an IB and American-based curriculum. It has been around 4-5 year, I think. It had a threat of closure this year after a lease issue - I think they have a plan for the next few years, but I'm not sure what the longterm plan is for the school. As for lease or buy -- if you're sure it's just two years that you're here, leasing could make sense. It's easier because they take care of maintenance and insurance, etc, but you pay a lot to lease here. The only thing is that everyone I know comes thinking they'll be here for two years and stays for many more! With the USAF that two years may be a little more set.