Where to feed baby in ramadan | ExpatWoman.com

Where to feed baby in ramadan

Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 11:10

I went out to the mall yesterday and my baby got hungry, so I took her to a discreet location at the back of the fast food court. It was the only place I could find to sit and no one else was sitting there. I began preparing a bottle when I was approached by security informing me that I'm not allowed to feed the baby in the fast food court. I asked him to direct me to a suitable location to feed my crying baby and he told me to use to bathrooms. I then took my baby out to the parking lot, I left the pram on the pavement and I began to feed the baby in the backseat. A lady then knocked at my window (I thought to remind me that my pram is outside) she then informed me that I'm not allowed to eat in the car, I told her that I was sorry to offend her however my baby is hungry and can't wait till we get home, she seemed very understanding however she warned me to be careful not to get caught. Where is the appropriate place to feed a baby, I don't like the idea of using the bathrooms.

Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 11:09
Another option at dubai mall is baker and spice in souk al bahar. They are open for dine in. Dont go early to the dubai mall, it is only after 12 noon that the food court is open. MoE and MCC have no time restrictions. HTH
Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 09:34
Dubai malls open food courts for non-fasters during Ramadan http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=data/ramadannews/2015/July/ramadannews_July20.xml&section=ramadannews
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 09:30
Some people lose humanity in the month that we are supposed to show humanity. I would have ignored the guard, there was not much he could have done. And there is a good chance the guard was not someone fasting himself, and just thought he was being loyal to his duty by implementing what he thought was "Ramadan rules".
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 09:00
the food court in MCC (cinema end) is also open and screened off for eating in just not many outlets open. I believe that MOE upstairs foodcourt is open as well.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 18:10
It would be great if there was a standard thing across all malls
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 18:00
Alismum, Dubai Mall Food Court is fully open for [i'>dine-in[/i'> not just takeaway and not just for children! Yes you said in your previous post. I have been avoiding the malls during Ramadan daytime because my little boy is always hungry or thirsty when walking around them but I will definitely head over to Dubai Mall next week now I know :)
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 16:31
Alismum, Dubai Mall Food Court is fully open for [i'>dine-in[/i'> not just takeaway and not just for children!
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 12:44
[b'>chezmoi wrote: "I absolutely agree Alismum, its quite incredible to me that no provisions are made for children and babies to be fed in malls, how can anyone possibly think it appropriate for them to have to eat in a toilet."[/b'> If the powers that be are watching this forum, I hope they make it happen, it's also good for the mall businesses to have mums able to feed their kids during the day in the food court area while shopping and not avoid the malls in the daytime during Ramadan. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if next year there are curtained areas for little children in all the food courts.;) They are soon going to open toilets for children in malls so that mums need not worry about having to take their boys to the ladies loos, there are plenty of compassionate people here. I have met a lot in my years being here. Thank you to the guy in the mall who found a place to eat for my hungry son yesterday....
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 10:37
I was really starting to think that my husband told me to feed the baby in the prayer room or food court so he could have a laugh about it later. The food court is really is the most logical place to go as fasting people wouldn't really go there. It seems dubai mall is the most child friendly mall during the day now.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 06:58
I don't think ANYone could/would ever be offended at a baby or child eating. By the way, this year the food court in Dubai Mall is fully open (behind screens).
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 01:00
I absolutely agree Alismum, its quite incredible to me that no provisions are made for children and babies to be fed in malls, how can anyone possibly think it appropriate for them to have to eat in a toilet. It was fortunate you found a helpful security guard but unfortunately many of them are not, I once needed to feed a diabetic child who was having a hypo and although I tried to feed him discreetly behind the screen at the food hall in MOE I was abruptly told by the security he could not eat anywhere except in the toilets. It was difficult to drag a child with extremely low blood sugar to a the nearest toilet which was quite a distance from the food outlet. Then when I got there I was reprimanded by a woman for taking a little boy into the ladies even though he was obviously under an age where it would have been inappropriate and clearly on the point of passing out. I hope things will improve and better training given to security staff in malls particularly, there really is no need for all this unnecessary distress.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 00:04
I went to the food court today as well with my son (as we were out and about on an errand and he was really hungry) and I asked in McDonalds if children could eat in the food court and they said yes, so I pulled out a chair from the pile and a security guard came to me and said that no-one could eat in there, so I told him I didn't want to have my son eat in the toilets. He was actually very kind and he rang his boss and they gave us a little table and chair in the workers area to eat away from the public. I think next time you are out and about with your child go up to the security guard in the food court and ask him to find you a place to feed your baby that is not the toilets, or ask to speak to the person in charge.. It would be nice if they had a little area curtained off in all of the large food courts just for children during Ramadan.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 19:43
Cowboy this is absolute madness what they told you. You should be able to feed your baby or small child at any time and place in Ramadan. I think some staff in malls, and then especially the non-Muslim ones who have obviously not been briefed properly, are a bit over zealous in stopping people eating. You have nothing to apologize for and you have not offended anyone so never ever apologize for feeding your baby in public in Ramadan.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 17:24
Both DS and DD have been 'openly' eating in the malls, and no one has said a word to me. What you experienced, Cowboy, is ridiculous and utter nonsense. Sorry you had to go through this. It's certainly not in the spirit of Ramadan! I also used to BF my kids in the malls during Ramadan - just parked myself in a closed coffee shop and put on my BF cover.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 14:26
Wow, babies and kids can eat and pregnant woman. Discreetly. Go to Dubai Mall the food court is open and lots of people eating inside. Stay away from places that make your baby un welcome. Really sorry that you had such a bad experience in a blessed time.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 14:23
My 2 year old daughter was eating in Dubai Mall and had her bottle of milk - I just made sure she was in the pushchair and I put the hood down. I'm sure babies and small children can eat in public, though I cant find anything online that states this clearly.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 14:15
In Dubai mall there is a baby feeding room in the bathroom in fashion avenue. Try there? If not just tell people to ****** off! Babies have a right to eat!
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 13:27
I am really surprised at this, I'm wondering if it was in a more conservative area. Never once happened to me, I see babies and toddlers eating all the time and mine do as well. Dubai Mall is really nice this year in my opinion, it's confined to the food court. I saw a few ladies feeding in MOE last Friday. I didn't see security berating them though.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 13:16
I am really surprised at this, I'm wondering if it was in a more conservative area. Never once happened to me, I see babies and toddlers eating all the time and mine do as well. Dubai Mall is really nice this year in my opinion, it's confined to the food court.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:50
Feed your baby where and when you feel the need to, a baby needs to be fed. I am gobsmacked people even approached you for this! In MOE on Sunday, me and my daughter saw a family, 2 adults and 2 teenagers happily munching a packet of biscuits strolling in and out of shops , no mall security said anything! And as for the amount of people walking around in skimpy shorts and hardly there tops....... I need to shut up now.:evil:
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:49
Since you were feeding the baby discreetly you were not doing anything that could have been considered wrong. The Foreign Office advisory advises "Pregnant, nursing women, and young children are exempt from the provisions, but discretion should be exercised." The key word is "discretion". The people who attacked you while you were discretly feeding your baby in your car or behind the food court were in the wrong and all I can say is if they don't have any humanity towards the needs of a baby I wonder what they understand from the meaning of Ramadan at all. [url=http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jul/31/dubai-tourists-must-respect-ramadan'>link[/url'>
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:18
That is so strange. I don't know what to tell you. I am pretty shocked as well I will not comment on the food court regulations, because I have no idea have it works there, but I am more than sure that children can eat and drink as much as they need... How can you explain to a baby or toddler that he has to eat discreetly?! :thinking: How can be a mature woman offended by seeing another mother giving a bottle to her hungry baby?!! And what`s more, IN THE CAR?!! It`s an absolute nonsense. I fed my babygirl in the restaurant about half an hour before Azaan and there were many muslim families sitting around us and I really don`t think they were offended as many people were very friendly, smiling at her and even asking about her name, age, sending their blessings etc... There must be something wrong with people who get offended by innocent baby who can not control his appetite and hunger!
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 11:56
The ignorant people who stopped you have no idea what they're talking about. Children (and babies in particular) are not expected to fast during Ramadan. I've never heard anything so ridiculous!!
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 11:42
Feed your baby where ever you happen to be. Babies are allowed to eat and if they give you trouble, ask to speak to a supervisor. Seriously, some people miss the entire idea of Ramadan!
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 11:13
That is so strange. I don't know what to tell you.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY