Tips on reducing a fever | ExpatWoman.com

Tips on reducing a fever

Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 20:23

My 3 year old has had a fever of 39.5 & white spots on his throat since this afternoon. We took him straight to the Dr after school who said he had a viral infection so didn't give antibiotics just recommended Adol & rehydration sachets. I have given both and followed with ibuprofen, Vicks on his feet, lukewarm bath, light pjs and a cool room, his temp is stil 39. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm due to travel for work tomorrow ? TIA

Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 00:33
My son had a fever of 41 for 4 days, doctor said it was viral, he slept a lot and came out fine on the other side. There are some children who are likely to have febrile convulsions if their temperature goes above 40 but it is the minority. As stated by previous posters fever is there for a number of reasons, to weaken viruses and bacteria so the body can deal with it, and also to move the blood around the body faster. There are homeopathic remedies you can use for fever but would need to be prescribed by homeopath as they are prescribed on collections of symptoms not just fever, e.g. fever where baby wants to be carried all the time, weeps piteously - pulsatilla. Fever with delirium, eyes red and glistening with skin hot and burning, fever worse at night and no thirst - belladonna. If you need a homeopath Dr Javed at Dubai Homeopathy Health Centre has a lot of experience with babies and children. The clinic number is 043953333 Often babies and children have middle ear infections that cause fever, it is a well known fact that antibiotics have hardly any effect on middle ear infections but they still get prescribed a lot. Homeopathy can be very effective in that case. It is difficult when you have to travel and leave your child, hope he gets better soon.
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 00:33
My son had a fever of 41 for 4 days, doctor said it was viral, he slept a lot and came out fine on the other side. There are some children who are likely to have febrile convulsions if their temperature goes above 40 but it is the minority. As stated by previous posters fever is there for a number of reasons, to weaken viruses and bacteria so the body can deal with it, and also to move the blood around the body faster. There are homeopathic remedies you can use for fever but would need to be prescribed by homeopath as they are prescribed on collections of symptoms not just fever, e.g. fever where baby wants to be carried all the time, weeps piteously - pulsatilla. Fever with delirium, eyes red and glistening with skin hot and burning, fever worse at night and no thirst - belladonna. If you need a homeopath Dr Javed at Dubai Homeopathy Health Centre has a lot of experience with babies and children. The clinic number is 043953333 Often babies and children have middle ear infections that cause fever, it is a well known fact that antibiotics have hardly any effect on middle ear infections but they still get prescribed a lot. Homeopathy can be very effective in that case. It is difficult when you have to travel and leave your child, hope he gets better soon.
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 06:48
Thanks everyone for replying ?
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 17:30
I'm sorry gryffindornerd6 but unless you are talking about a baby of under three months old (which the OP is not) then your first statement is complete rubbish. Your opinion is invalid. I wasn't talking to you anyway. Please speak to a Pediatrician about fever guidelines in children. If you are still working as a nurse and have anything to do with children it's actually quite worrying that you believe parents should never let a fever reach beyond 38.
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 16:21
I'm sorry gryffindornerd6 but unless you are talking about a baby of under three months old (which the OP is not) then your first statement is complete rubbish. Your opinion is invalid. I wasn't talking to you anyway.
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 16:15
I'm sorry gryffindornerd6 but unless you are talking about a baby of under three months old (which the OP is not) then your first statement is complete rubbish.
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 16:04
My 3 year old has had a fever of 39.5 & white spots on his throat since this afternoon. We took him straight to the Dr after school who said he had a viral infection so didn't give antibiotics just recommended Adol & rehydration sachets. I have given both and followed with ibuprofen, Vicks on his feet, lukewarm bath, light pjs and a cool room, his temp is stil 39. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I'm due to travel for work tomorrow ? TIA Hi! Here's what you need to know. NEVER LET A FEVER REACH BEYOND 38! 39.5-40 degrees is near convulsive state. You don't want that for kids! I trained as a nurse and here's what we do in hospitals: 1. Tepid Sponge Bath-- Every 15 minutes soak a bath towel and squeeze out excess water in a basin/bowl. Then wipe the forehead, nape, folds of elbow and knees and all the crevices where it is most hot in a child's body. Leave the towel on the forehead so the heat will be released from the body. Do this every 15 minutes and you'll notice the temperature will lower right away. 2. Even if the child is feeling cold and shivering, DO NOT WRAP IN THICK BLANKET OR SWEATERS. This will only trap in the heat and the temperature won't go down. Instead, dress in loose breathable clothing where heat can escape. 3. Check temperature every 30 minutes and make sure it doesn't climb! 4. If your child has chills, see a doctor right away. 5. If the child suffers from a convulsion, bring to emergency department ASAP. 6. Hydrate with lots and lots of water or juice. Feed with soup and some protein (like chicken noodle soup!). Good luck!!
Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 15:54
You don't actually need to reduce it - treat the associated pain and discomfort, obviously, but the fever is the body's way of killing the bugs, unless you have a child particularly susceptible to febrile convulsions, it won't hurt them to be at 39 for a bit. Exactly, the fever has a job to do, let it do it. I only ever give my children drugs for a fever if they are miserable. If they are just a bit lethargic and irritable I just let it run it's course.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 20:54
You don't actually need to reduce it - treat the associated pain and discomfort, obviously, but the fever is the body's way of killing the bugs, unless you have a child particularly susceptible to febrile convulsions, it won't hurt them to be at 39 for a bit.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 17:21
We went through a period when only Voltaren suppositories would bring down high fevers but check with a Dr first as its a stronger medicine.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 10:28
Poor little one, my 20 month old had a virus this week with 39 temperature, volteran supposatory ( for kids) brings it down right away or Motrin from USA.( always in the medicine cabinet) Of course all the cold cloth, take the feet out of any socks or pjamas, cool room etc. and drink water has always worked for me. There is a nasty virus going around I got it and am suffering big time...throat, ears, cough. The emergency rooms and clinics have children and adults both. I have been to 3 different clinics/ emergency in the last 5 days! Get well
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 04:39
Nurofen is more effective for fevers above 38.5. Adol is more for lower fevers, or to control fever in between. Also add some white vinegar to the cool water before you wet the towels.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 03:16
Voltaren suppository for kids, can buy them over the counter - brings fever down within 30 mins.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 22:16
Ice lollies. They love it and it cools them down and hydrates them. The extra sugar gives them energy too.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 21:41
I wonder how can a Doctor decide whether it is viral or not? I had the same symptoms a few weeks ago, and was given an antibiotic injection, and 7 days of antibiotic tabs and mouthwash.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 21:36
Cool drinks, maybe easier through a straw. Pure cotton bed linen love and attention
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 21:18
Poor little mite! I second cool wet towels on forehead and soles of the feet. Or even a cool shower/ bath. Just keep him cool - don't be tempted to cover him up too much.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 20:24
Cool wet flannels? If you get worried Latifa Hospital have paediatricians 24 hours a day.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY