Bringing a houseplant from Europe | ExpatWoman.com

Bringing a houseplant from Europe

Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 22:51

I have a house plant at home which I am quite attached to, and I would like to take it with me to Dubai. Anyone knows whether it is possible at all and what are the regulations on it?

Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 12:06
Now my conclusion is- when in doubt about any official procedures, ask the officials directly and in writing so that you have a written official reply from them.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 12:02
Thanks everyone for contributing. Just wanted to say that I emailed directly to the Dubai customs office and got a reply from them that it is ok to bring my plant to here. I printed their response and now my plant is happily living in my living room. That's useful to know. Thanks
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 12:02
My plant is quite small and I wrapped it nicely in a few layers of paper and plastic with extra hydration and put in my suitcase. It survived it alright.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 12:01
Did you take your plant as carry on? I know of someone who did this but the plant was large so they had to buy an extra seat. :lol:
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 11:58
Did you take your plant as carry on? I know of someone who did this but the plant was large so they had to buy an extra seat.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 11:19
Thanks everyone for contributing. Just wanted to say that I emailed directly to the Dubai customs office and got a reply from them that it is ok to bring my plant to here. I printed their response and now my plant is happily living in my living room.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 12:38
I don't think it would survive a month to 6 weeks in the container, the temperatures go up to 70c inside of them. You can buy plants here, I suggest you leave it with a green fingered friend!!
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 11:03
You would probably need to check with a shipping company if you can get a permit for it so it doesn't get confiscated
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 10:10
According to the Customs section of the Dubai Airports website, no. http://www.dubaiairports.ae/before-you-fly/procedures/security-customs This is in line with most countries' regulations, I think. [i'>Items you cannot bring into the UAE All narcotic drugs. Gambling tools, machines. Ivory and rhinoceros horn. Trammel (fishing net with three layers). Forged or duplicate currency. Any printed material that contradicts Islamic teachings and/or decency, or that deliberately implies immorality or turmoil. Cooked and homemade foods. Radios, self-defence equipment, sharp-edged knives and swords. Pets and skins of endangered animals subject to CITES convention. Weapons, ammunition and military equipment. Fireworks and explosives. Trees, plants and soil. Requirements are subject to change. Please consult Dubai Customs for additional details on entry requirements. [/i'>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY