Maid missed flight back | ExpatWoman.com

Maid missed flight back

Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 09:53

Duh, looks like our maid didn't check her flight date/time and hasn't turned up this morning. I have spoken to her in Sri Lanka where she is getting ready for her flight tonight - the flight was this morning!!!

I bought the cheapest ticket possible and doubt you can change a flight time after you have missed it anyway, which she is not understanding (she keeps saying 30 days..)
I think the cost of a new ticket should definitely come out of her salary.
Agree?

Latest post on 28 June 2015 - 08:43
Great idea Mrsmoo! She has brought us presents from Sri Lanka, so I would feel even more guilty! I woke up this morning ready to drop it again, but this way she won't lose out but at the same time I've made my point, as you say. I really don't think she is taking the micky. Another maid in our compound told me she had told them how kind and generous we had been to her recently. So I think (hope) she appreciates it.
Latest post on 28 June 2015 - 08:39
The news is she is back! I haven't actually seen her as we've been away, but I have spoken to her and either she is back or we have a mysterious ghost that does the washing (I like!). Came back quite happy to forget the whole thing - water under the bridge, it is the month for acts of kindness etc, but You are probably right that it is worth deducting the extra flight cost purely to make a point and take a stand. She is not going to starve as a result, and she does need to stop causing stress and additional cost to her employer. I've no idea either if she's taking us for a ride or not. She always seems genuine and very grateful. I think she is a warm hearted woman who just doesn't think things through properly or think of the consequences, nor does she know what she wants all the time. Her plans are always changing, ehoch makes life quite tricky sometimes. But compared to some of the stories I hear regularly of maids stealing and lying we probably have it easy! I'm really pleased to hear this :) For the little it's worth from an anonymous forum type, you always come across as a decent person and I really hoped that your kindness wouldn't be taken for a ride. It is hard not to become cynical and hardhearted as we get older and I'm really pleased for you. Oddly touched by this mini-story and really think you did the right thing, but I do understand the thought process!
Latest post on 28 June 2015 - 08:29
Why not deduct the money from her salary to make your point, and then give it back to her for "working so hard this month" or extra baby sitting she did or something? Or if she could use some new clothes, buy her some with that money? That way, you make your point but she benefits from the money and you dont have to feel bad about it
Latest post on 27 June 2015 - 21:24
The news is she is back! I haven't actually seen her as we've been away, but I have spoken to her and either she is back or we have a mysterious ghost that does the washing (I like!). Came back quite happy to forget the whole thing - water under the bridge, it is the month for acts of kindness etc, but You are probably right that it is worth deducting the extra flight cost purely to make a point and take a stand. She is not going to starve as a result, and she does need to stop causing stress and additional cost to her employer. I've no idea either if she's taking us for a ride or not. She always seems genuine and very grateful. I think she is a warm hearted woman who just doesn't think things through properly or think of the consequences, nor does she know what she wants all the time. Her plans are always changing, ehoch makes life quite tricky sometimes. But compared to some of the stories I hear regularly of maids stealing and lying we probably have it easy!
Latest post on 27 June 2015 - 18:30
What's the update VM???? Is she back? [strike'>with the cat stuffed in her handbag[/strike'>
Latest post on 27 June 2015 - 11:38
I reckon she isn't coming back.
Latest post on 27 June 2015 - 11:11
I would probably make her pay if it hurt enough to make a point without putting her in debt. Because, it may teach her to be more careful and judicious with her employer's money; this is not a charity. What is the incentive to not cost the employer money if you are never responsible for it? Judging by previous posts, I don't know if she is taking VicM for a ride or just doesn't give a rip either way. In the labor law (not applicable to domestic workers) I believe you can actually terminate someone's contract early if they cost the company an egregious amount of money. We have dealt with this twice last week in my office. Spent a lot of money and time building a customer relationship, and a blatant error from an individual another department may cost us this business. If there is a direct relationship between the error and loss of the customer, do we terminate the employee? Another example, someone in logistics has been behind the ball, as we have had to expedite things for no good reason in order to make deadlines which costs about 500-1000 AED a pop this past month. Do we penalize the employee financially for being careless so they quit making these errors? I think it is not a matter of who has more wealth, the point is to stop the money wasting and carelessness.
Latest post on 27 June 2015 - 07:19
Is she back, VM?
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 17:12
I'm sorry, VictoriaM, but I think your maid sees you as a soft touch and is taking you for a ride. From your previous posts (about the cat etc) it seems to me that everything in your relationship with your maid goes in one direction only and that she thinks she's got you exactly where she wants you ?
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 13:32
I think it's genuine - she sounded very laid back on the phone, like she's in Sri Lanka mode! We wouldn't normally pass on the cost. As you say, it's little to us. But I think we need to make a stand as we've paid out such a lot for her recently (we shipped her cat out to Sri Lanka with her at great expense) and need to make her see it's not a bottomless pit! Oh well, we'll see, maybe we'll back down if you really think it's mean!
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 11:53
If the charge is small why bother passing it on? Mistakes happen, you have more wealth than the maid. I agree. If you or your husband was made to bear the cost of every error at your work you would be outraged. It's a tiny amount to you but likely a huge amount to her. I have to disagree, if my husband missed a flight his work had paid for, he would be expected to make his own arrangements to get on the next available flight. At his own cost. Why should an employer have to pay for carelessness of their staff and a totally avoidable expense? If it had been unavoidable then that is a different matter. Who doesn't check their ticket if they really want to get on a flight? I am hopefully just a cynical old woman but I just hope that this wasn't a deliberate act by the maid to avoid returning. :thinking:
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 11:39
If the charge is small why bother passing it on? Mistakes happen, you have more wealth than the maid. I agree. If you or your husband was made to bear the cost of every error at your work you would be outraged. It's a tiny amount to you but likely a huge amount to her.
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 10:57
If the charge is small why bother passing it on? Mistakes happen, you have more wealth than the maid.
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 10:37
Make sure that she knows now!
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 10:31
We have and they have rescheduled for tomorrow morning at a small charge, that we will be passing on to maid! Just one drama after another. She clearly didn't check the ticket, just THOUGHT it was x day at x o'clock. Oh dear!
Latest post on 26 June 2015 - 10:04
Yes, I agree. But you should still try to call the airline and see if they can reschedule. You never know!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY