Can my fiance go on my visa | ExpatWoman.com

Can my fiance go on my visa

Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 14:08
Yes, once you are married, and provided you meet certain conditions (salary etc). Getting back to the original post, it's not really so easy for a woman to sponsor her husband on a regular three year visa. The authorities may allow this for 1 year (on 'humanitarian grounds') while he looks for his own job/ sponsor, but he would have to reapply every year to remain on your visa. I tried to do this a couple of months ago, and while sponsoring my children was fine, it was strongly recommended that my DH find his own sponsor.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 12:04
Can someone explain to me how a person has an impending move to another country yet does not know the fundamental basics of that country? Please explain to me how you can move to the Middle East in this day and age of technology not know that a country is an Islamic one. Then, in this day and age where the media is full of information about different religions and cultures not have a basic grasp of the values of that religion? Then having grasped the basic values and understood how to use Google not be able to find all the information required on the sponsorship process and laws of that country pertaining to sponsoring a spouse? Recently a poster asked what would be the consequences of getting caught shipping her food and wine, really? Not even arrived and are trying to buck the system and insult the host country by breaking its laws. Then there was a poster wanting to bring a houseplant with her because she is attached to it? Then we had another poster asking where she could find somewhere that served booze during the day in Ramadan? Talk about bizarre posts recently. I was the person with a bizarre question about a plant, and guess what- I asked directly Dubai customs and yes, they are fine with me bringing it in on the plane without any paperwork. While google the almighty said the opposite. This is the reason why we have this forum, to share personal experience. If I want to be lectured, I will try some other places, and not the forum. So if you don't have to say anything constructive, why bother writing at all? Sometime's too much conflicting information is so confusing. I found that before I moved out here. Plus I always think its better to ask than assume! Indeed, that's why I asked at the forum, but after not getting a very clear reply, I emailed directly their officials. They tool quite a bit of time but their answer was precise and up to the point.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 11:56
Can someone explain to me how a person has an impending move to another country yet does not know the fundamental basics of that country? Please explain to me how you can move to the Middle East in this day and age of technology not know that a country is an Islamic one. Then, in this day and age where the media is full of information about different religions and cultures not have a basic grasp of the values of that religion? Then having grasped the basic values and understood how to use Google not be able to find all the information required on the sponsorship process and laws of that country pertaining to sponsoring a spouse? Recently a poster asked what would be the consequences of getting caught shipping her food and wine, really? Not even arrived and are trying to buck the system and insult the host country by breaking its laws. Then there was a poster wanting to bring a houseplant with her because she is attached to it? Then we had another poster asking where she could find somewhere that served booze during the day in Ramadan? Talk about bizarre posts recently. I was the person with a bizarre question about a plant, and guess what- I asked directly Dubai customs and yes, they are fine with me bringing it in on the plane without any paperwork. While google the almighty said the opposite. This is the reason why we have this forum, to share personal experience. If I want to be lectured, I will try some other places, and not the forum. So if you don't have to say anything constructive, why bother writing at all? Sometime's too much conflicting information is so confusing. I found that before I moved out here. Plus I always think its better to ask than assume!
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 11:25
Can someone explain to me how a person has an impending move to another country yet does not know the fundamental basics of that country? Please explain to me how you can move to the Middle East in this day and age of technology not know that a country is an Islamic one. Then, in this day and age where the media is full of information about different religions and cultures not have a basic grasp of the values of that religion? Then having grasped the basic values and understood how to use Google not be able to find all the information required on the sponsorship process and laws of that country pertaining to sponsoring a spouse? Recently a poster asked what would be the consequences of getting caught shipping her food and wine, really? Not even arrived and are trying to buck the system and insult the host country by breaking its laws. Then there was a poster wanting to bring a houseplant with her because she is attached to it? Then we had another poster asking where she could find somewhere that served booze during the day in Ramadan? Talk about bizarre posts recently. I was the person with a bizarre question about a plant, and guess what- I asked directly Dubai customs and yes, they are fine with me bringing it in on the plane without any paperwork. While google the almighty said the opposite. This is the reason why we have this forum, to share personal experience. If I want to be lectured, I will try some other places, and not the forum. So if you don't have to say anything constructive, why bother writing at all?
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 09:51
Anyway, back to the house plant - isn't this how the UAE got red back spiders <glancing sideways at the Ozzies> Ahem. 'Aussies'. Eyethangyew. ;)
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 09:50
There are red back spiders in dubai? :confused: Yep...found loads while gardening, always wear good sturdy gloves.;) Which area are you talking about? I am in gardens and there are always spiders lurking around but never paid any attention to them . Now l am worried! We had them in JVT Arabian Ranches too!
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 09:23
There are red back spiders in dubai? :confused: Yep...found loads while gardening, always wear good sturdy gloves.;) Which area are you talking about? I am in gardens and there are always spiders lurking around but never paid any attention to them . Now l am worried! We had them in JVT
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 09:21
There are red back spiders in dubai? :confused: Yep...found loads while gardening, always wear good sturdy gloves.;) Which area are you talking about? I am in gardens and there are always spiders lurking around but never paid any attention to them . Now l am worried!
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 07:10
Oh come ON LC - you very well know, that although there are many 'rules', they are bent and overlooked much of the time - they have to, otherwise no one would come here!!! And the reason people come to forums to ask questions, is because there is so much conflicting advice on the internet and people like to get honest opinions of people who live somewhere. We all know very well that the UAE and Dubai in particular is a land of total hypocrisy - so don't sit there in your high and mighty chair and speak down to others. As I said, there are ways and means of saying something to someone. And yes, THIS might seem harsh, but sometimes people need a reality check.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 04:57
There are red back spiders in dubai? :confused: Yep...found loads while gardening, always wear good sturdy gloves.;)
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 21:27
There are red back spiders in dubai? :confused:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 20:00
We have lost another EWer :( She has deleted her post and probably won't come back here again, which is a shame because there are so many ladies on here with experience and great advice, not to mention that Clo95 herself probably had a lot to contribute too. Presumably, having been offered a job here, she has done her research and she does say that she has already read the rules. She asked a simple question, to clarify things, and got the replies she needed from CP and GE. Why do we need to then give her a lecture about something that as an adult who is about to embark on a major move and change, she has surely looked into herself? She's not a child. The responses she got from CP and GE already highlighted the issues she needs to consider. Don't give up on EW just yet, Clo95 :) Sometimes we may seem a bit harsh in our approach, but we mean well! Good luck with your move to Dubai! A good rule of thumb on ANY forum is to talk to people the same way you would if they sitting across from you. To come onto the forum and be down right rude because you don't like an answer ( which was to the point and in no way rude ) would not go down well if you were facing that person. The way I read the response was " well I am taking my ball and going home " . If nothing else she has been given the info , what she does with it is her business .The good ladies of EW once again shared info when asked, some with bells and whistles and others to the point, no one was rude except the OP. The houseplant issue.......don't even get me started :angry:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 19:11
Yes, lol but not sure it was an individual. But hence all across the world in nearly every country there are very strict regulations about importing of Flora and Fauna and what they may be carrying.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 19:02
Anyway, back to the house plant - isn't this how the UAE got red back spiders <glancing sideways at the Ozzies>
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 19:00
Just trying to butter you up. Having been on the receiving end on many occasions. :biggrin: :angel:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:56
Just trying to butter you up. Having been on the receiving end on many occasions. :biggrin:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:44
In Lolacat's defence, she has been around for many[strike'> (many, many, many) [/strike'> years and she is really what would be described as a 'salt of the earth' kind of person. She says it how it is, doesn't mince her words, and you know where you are with her. This is not always appreciated in text form and her posts can ocassionally be perceived as quite abrasive, however underneath it all she is a caring poster who cares about the wellbeing of her fellow EWers. She is really quite a good egg. :angel: CP are you not well? That's a bit soft and mushy! (cheque's in the post) lol
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:42
I find this thread very interesting. Some people find everything so weird and bizzare but not their ignorant rude statements towards others. Such a self centered world this is. May be they need to realize that world doesn't revolve around them, and other "bizzare" and less intelligent people may not think or understand things their way. Why don't these "intelligent" , well read people leave this forum for stupid and dumb people like us, who ask so many questions? Self-centred is seeing if you can stretch the rules to fit your own agenda and not respect a country’s or religions laws and values. If some posters crime is to be guilty of being intelligent, well so be it. Should EW just keep to posts about beauty products, hairdressers and blowouts? :\:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:37
Today I am badly missing "thumbs down" However i think you will find that the thumbs up has affirmed certain posters posts. :cool:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:30
Today I am badly missing "thumbs down"
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 18:22
If anyone was rude, it was OP's response to Lolacat's post.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 17:42
In Lolacat's defence, she has been around for many[strike'> (many, many, many) [/strike'> years and she is really what would be described as a 'salt of the earth' kind of person. She says it how it is, doesn't mince her words, and you know where you are with her. This is not always appreciated in text form and her posts can ocassionally be perceived as quite abrasive, however underneath it all she is a caring poster who cares about the wellbeing of her fellow EWers. She is really quite a good egg. :angel:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 17:36
I find this thread very interesting. Some people find everything so weird and bizzare but not their ignorant rude statements towards others. Such a self centered world this is. May be they need to realize that world doesn't revolve around them, and other "bizzare" and less intelligent people may not think or understand things their way. Why don't these "intelligent" , well read people leave this forum for stupid and dumb people like us, who ask so many questions?
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 17:12
Isn't this how we got red back spiders! :evil:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 17:09
Can someone please direct me to the "attached to house plant" thread as that does sound [strike'>quite bonkers [/strike'> interesting If you're serious, here you go ;) http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic236331-bringing-a-houseplant-from-europe.aspx Short and sweet :)
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 17:00
Can someone please direct me to the "attached to house plant" thread as that does sound [strike'>quite bonkers [/strike'> interesting
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 16:41
We don't have to be "warm, cuddly and welcoming", but we also don't have to put people off! As FairyDust said, there are ways and means of saying something. I doubt very much that Clo95 will recommend this forum to anyone after her experience :( And most of the women on here are actually warm and supportive! Oh please, A little more research and respect for a country's values would go a long way. Expats used to relocate all over the world without the use of Google and manage perfectly alright, now there is Mr Google and a wealth of information available it appears more and more need to ask questions which are easily answered online. Are they asking in the thought they can buck the system and find a way around or are they really that uninformed? I have my doubts. The reason forums like this have reduced traffic is due to many other reasons, not because someone suggested to a poster they research the country they are moving to and the FCO advice for the country! And being attached to a houseplant enough to need it to relocate with you is weird, asking on a public forum where you can get a specific drink so blatantly during Ramadan during daylight hours is disrespectful.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 16:24
We don't have to be "warm, cuddly and welcoming", but we also don't have to put people off! As FairyDust said, there are ways and means of saying something. I doubt very much that Clo95 will recommend this forum to anyone after her experience :( And most of the women on here are actually warm and supportive!
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 16:06
True, but do you not think some people come on here to get a better idea of life out here. Yes there are lots of rules and regulations we should all follow living out here, and no doubt most of us do. But to the outside world Dubai is advertised as a fabulous all year round holiday destination and from some of the adverts I've seen, it appears that anything goes. And yes the odd bizarre posts are better than nothing. I can't remember a time when I could log off in the evening and when I come back in the morning all I need to do is click on recent posts to catch up :confused: I do think people come on here to get a better idea of life out here, I know I did before coming. If everyone on here was warm, cuddly and welcoming it would be quite a shock arriving and discovering what it's really like :biggrin:
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 15:57
Lolacat, if everyone just looked things up via Google, there would be no need for forums like this, which would be a huge loss. The collective posts on this forum contain some very valuable information and advice that people can turn to and search for when looking for answers. The best part is that the posts are made by people based on real experiences (except for the blatant advertisers that admin usually nips in the bud!). There is nothing wrong with asking questions. It's far better to ask than to assume. What may seem obvious to us because we live here and take it for granted, might not be so clear to outsiders. Yes, this is a Muslim country but a very tolerant and welcoming one. Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country too, but very different to the UAE. So is Malaysia, and also different to the Gulf countries, etc. I heard from someone yesterday that food outlets are not closed in Kuwait during the fasting hours, for example. If this is true, it comes as a big surprise to me because I ASSUMED that all Gulf countries followed the same rules during Ramadan. It seems my assumption is wrong and I shouldn't take things for granted. BTW I don't see why someone asking about bringing a houseplant with them is a bizarre question! We get attached to different things and there's nothing wrong with that. The houseplant may be very special to the OP for a good reason. As for booze during the day in Ramadan, someone already replied to say it's available in RAK, which is correct. So if the OP is willing to drive to RAK to have a drink with her lunch, that's for her to decide, but at least she got an answer to her question.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY