What if I bring my daughter to Dubai? So worried... | ExpatWoman.com

What if I bring my daughter to Dubai? So worried...

Latest post on 06 July 2015 - 14:19
Sooo sorry to hear of your family's trials but so happy to hear that your precious daughter is almost in the clear!!! I recently posted here enquiring about the smog we'd experienced since arriving last week. I've since done some googling and came across this site which is interesting http://aqicn.org/city/uae/dubai/mushrif-park/ At times it looks alarming but seems to vary greatly. The heat, winds and humidity definitely compound the issue. I wish I'd come across this whilst we were making our decision, not sure whether it would have changed our minds or not, it's just good to make a fully-informed decision. There are so many factors that contribute to making a happy, healthy family... Best of luck!!!!
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 11:57
I would do a recky first. The air quality here is not great (not sure how it compares with Beijing though), and a lot of kids get sick more often when coming over to Dubai. If your daughter needs a toxin free environment, a place where you live in a/c a good portion of the year is not the best. Just consider it carefully.
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 11:48
there seems to be mixed messages in the news on Air Quality, yesterday Dubai Eye indeed reported that air quality seems to be worse than Bejing. Now I read this though: http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/environment/uae-air-quality-meets-global-standards-1.1542667 So not sure what is true. However, what I would definitely do if you would move here is buy an air purifier/humidifier for your house/apt. I just bought one from LG because I got worried too after the news on poor air quality outdoors as well as indoors.
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 04:43
It really is a difficult decision and I wish your daughter well. However, putting the air pollution aside the air quality in Dubai normally dips in summer due to the heat and humidity. I would suggest staying in France over the summer months and make the most of the sunshine and fresh air and plan a move here towards the end of September or October when the heat starts to drop and the air quality improves. If your husband needs to relocate could you make regular short visits so you get the best of both worlds, time in France and time in Dubai with her father? Then look at moving permanently later in the year? I wish I could do that... but she has school starting in Sep... that's why we thought of moving mid Aug in order to get the house etc to be ready for the school!! I never thought the air is that bad in Dubai! have been always thinking there is just sand in the air and that's why the sky is not clear!!
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 11:07
It really is a difficult decision and I wish your daughter well. However, putting the air pollution aside the air quality in Dubai normally dips in summer due to the heat and humidity. I would suggest staying in France over the summer months and make the most of the sunshine and fresh air and plan a move here towards the end of September or October when the heat starts to drop and the air quality improves. If your husband needs to relocate could you make regular short visits so you get the best of both worlds, time in France and time in Dubai with her father? Then look at moving permanently later in the year?
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 05:11
Thanks a lot to everyone for the advises. There is no worry on the pre existing condition and the medical coverage (checked it out few months ago). She will need to do a monthly doctor check up and a blood test. Her doctor in France introduced dr. Nidal in american hospital for the visits. Getting her separated from her dad is not really ideal as I did it for a while in the past. We are a small family of 3! Nobody could ever told me why she fell sick with Lukemia at the 1st place ? so when I flash back to the past, remember she was not very confortable with overal sinusitis/tonsils prior to her sickness and was catching cold almost every two month each time for 10 days! When in Iran, doctors were giving anti biotics each time she fell sick! And all of sudden, Lukemia! Dont know there could be a link! On top, in Iran looks like pollution gets directly in blood and can give cancer (w/o going through details) Apart from these two elements (which always make my mind busy on the cause), she has been taking a pill which is against pneumocystis infection for the past 3 years as part of treatment and will need to continue with it another 3 months even after stopping all medications next week! Meaning she is supposed to be in Dubai when all medications will be stopped and with her medical history before Lukemia, during and after, I dont know what could happen?! I will talk to her doctor again, but not sure if she will have anything useful to tell me considering the cause of her desease not yet revealed + everyone to see Dubai as paradise to live in...
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 23:25
Perhaps its best to stay a bit longer in France. The medical care,food,water,air quality is a lot better in France than here. All those things help keep your body healthy. Best of luck.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 21:20
Hi Wife777, Sorry to read that about your daughter. Please check with your doctor if the pollution can worsen your daughter's health condition. Do you have to move to the UAE? If not necessary, I would advise that you stay in France as you have probably more experienced doctors there than here. Otherwise, it's not that far from here, and you can plan a trip there every holiday to check your daughter's health with her current doctors. You can also check with your doctors if they know any good doctor here they can recommend. Just a positive note: A cousin of mine had the same issue as your daughter at the same age, now almost 30 years later he is perfectly fine. Usually, the group insurance we have here through our employers cover pre-existing conditions; however you would need to check this with your employer. Also, you would need to check the total coverage as well as if there is any specific coverage for cancer treatments.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 09:22
I would ask your doctor in France for advise. it is the first time i hear that air is so polluted here, it is obviously healthier living in a country that has more nature. You can buy Air Purifiers for the house, we are also considering buying since you can't open windows for fresh air during the hot months. There are great doctors here in Dubai so do not worry about that, but as countess mentions, do check about insurance. Good luck, this is not an easy decision for you.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 06:43
Could you stay in France and your husband work here or ask to stay in France? Will your medical insurance continue cover in Dubai for a pre-existing condition and is the expertise that your DD is receiving in France available in Dubai?
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 04:39
I lived in Iran from 2010 to 2012, where my daughter fell sick with Lukemia at the age of 5 :( I moved back immediately to France at the time to start the heavy treatment. What a pain we all went through... my poor little girl :( She will finish her treatment next week (after 3 years) but will be announced fully recovered only after another 2 years time. We are supposed to be in Dubai in a month time as my husband got transfered there! and I just saw a post on how Dubai air is polluted ? I am so concerned for her health, will she be fine? Is it polluted there? Am I doing a crime bringing her to that part of the world again? God I don't know what to do...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY