Appalling treatment at hair salon | ExpatWoman.com

Appalling treatment at hair salon

Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 15:59

Not going to name names, but just had an awful experience at my usual hair salon. This was with a relatively new stylist (my previous new one having gone home suddenly- boy do stylists come and go quickly here!).
I have to say I am perfectly happy with the cut and colour, no problems there.

However, a salon visit should be a pleasant, relaxing time and you should walk out feeling great, not fuming a heated debate with the stylist!!

The incident revolved around what seemed to be a difference in the appointment time I made and had confirmed to me by email and the appointment time in the stylist's schedule, which seemed to be half an hour earlier. If there is a problem with the systems, resulting in a stressed out stylist with insufficient time, please do not take it out on the client with complaints about tight scheduling, other clients to attend to, what I need to do.....I even showed her the email wi my appointment time. Still she complained. I asked to see the manager and even threatened to walk out at one point! Only then did she drop the subject. I have since tried to get to the bottom of what went wrong with reception twice, but the matter is still unclear.

I've sent an email asking for someone to look into it and get back to me, as I feel that not only was the stylist's conduct unacceptable, but that the salon did nothing to address the disagreement at the time.

Am I being unreasonable to ask that a hairdresser does not pass on to their clients the stresses of their work and does not blame a client for something they did not do and was due instead to an internal problem? What happened to the customer is king??? Ah I forgot, this is Dubai!

Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 16:08
Update: the lovely owner got back to me with an apology and a free full body massage. Oh go on then!
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 08:32
The stylist totally calmed down after passing all her stress on to me! So it felt safe for her to go ahead. She really did focus whilst I sat there seething! The salon was also very quiet, despite what the stylist was saying, so i didn't get the feeling she was going to rush through. The salon owner is usually very present and I would say it is well managed, from what I've seen and heard. But I didn't see her yesterday so maybe she is absent and hence the problem. The only other time I've made a tiny comment on their comment form I got an immediate and very concerned call from the owner. Not yesterday! I think she'd be mortified if she knew. Anyway, let's see if they get in contact today. If not I'll be calling them later. Do hope they get their act together - I've got a lot of loyalty points to spend there and don't really want to lose them (but will if I have to - without some proper action to remedy I am still not inclined to go back).
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 06:49
It takes considerably longer to gain a customer than it does to lose one, but in these cases, a savvy salon manager or owner can turn an unhappy customer into a customer for life depending on how they handle the situation. Sometimes I wonder if business owners or managers here get frustrated with a transient client base, and have the attitude that people will just leave and move on anyway regardless. It's a tough and unique market. As for the stylist, really wouldn't want someone cutting or coloring my hair if they are having a bad day! I'd have left and gone elsewhere--or if she is a really good stylist, come back another time. It is hard to find the right one. Last time I was in the US I drove 6 hours to see mine. My friends (and my stylist) thought I was bat **** crazy but I've had too many atrocious cuts here and was disinclined to continue experimenting.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 21:16
It's a shame as she is a good stylist. New to Dubai and perhaps finding it a little challenging. Much like my last stylist who went home suddenly after only a short while here. It's a salon that has a reputation for treating it's staff well though, so I am surprised at the moaning. It is indeed totally unprofessional.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 20:02
Sarah Lou I was! I don't think she'd brought her stress into work - her stress was work related. She said she needed a holiday blah, blah, stress, hours...not something to discuss with your clients or take out on them. So far I've heard nothing back from the salon. Will send another asking them to at least confirm receipt. We all get stressed but don't rant to customers etc about it. She needs to be careful as many salons rely on word of mouth here and I certainly wouldn't go to her or recommend anyone else too
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 19:28
Totally unprofessional
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 19:14
Sarah Lou I was! I don't think she'd brought her stress into work - her stress was work related. She said she needed a holiday blah, blah, stress, hours...not something to discuss with your clients or take out on them. So far I've heard nothing back from the salon. Will send another asking them to at least confirm receipt.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 18:34
I'd be raging. She shouldn't bring her stresses into work and take them out on you. The Manager of owner should send you a grovelling apology and give you a freebie.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 16:30
And yes I agree that a free haircut would be a great gesture.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 16:29
Thanks Daza, and apologies for the rant!
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 16:21
You are not being unreasonable at all. You should leave a salon feeling good, not stressed. Even if it had been your error (which in your case it totally wasn't) if the stylist is able to accommodate you they should suck it up and be professional, not spend the time moaning. I hope they give you a free haircut with a good stylist :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY