Lamb Shoulder Question | ExpatWoman.com

Lamb Shoulder Question

Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 00:01

Should I braise a lamb shoulder whole or cut into bits and make stew style?
Have never prepared this cut of lamb whole (just shanks and leg) so not really sure what to do.
Have a lamb shank recipe that I was prepared to braise but was brought a shoulder instead of the shanks.
Can I prepare it the same way with decent results?

Latest post on 30 October 2015 - 21:31
My DH makes the whole shoulder on a grill, however it takes time. Bon appetit!
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 20:51
i love slow cooking lamb shoulder - perfect comfort food with potatoes and gravy and/or mint sauce
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 20:09
We had it today yum! I add spices to 2 spoons of plain yoghurt then brush the whole shoulder with the yoghurt, then wrap it 3-4 times with foil then into the oven in an oven tray. After 30 mins I add water to the tray, it takes 3-3.5 hrs to cook. Serve with rice. I use lamb shoulder for stews, I cook it in the pressure cooker & use the broth & meat in stews It's the best part of a lamb, tender & soft
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 18:31
Thanks very much for the tips ladies!
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 11:56
Good luck cooking your lamb shank. It sounds delicious. When you get the eating it part, you should definitely reach for a bottle of Syrah to pair with it. I recommend something from New Zealand or a California Syrah. Enjoy :)
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 11:12
I would definitely cook it whole, at a low temperature, for a long time. However, to make carving/slicing it easier, take out the shoulder blade first. You just need to use a very sharp knife and sort of scrape/cut the meat away from the blade and give it a good sharp twist to pull it free. Then if you want you can stuff the pocket which is left.
Latest post on 01 July 2015 - 08:04
DH's favorite cut of meat :) He claims it's the most delicious. I always braise it whole (or in big chunks if it doesn't fit) or roast it in an oven bag with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, etc. It would probably do OK in a stew as well, but haven't tried that. Bon appetit!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY