Replacing ceramic floor tiles - apartment | ExpatWoman.com

Replacing ceramic floor tiles - apartment

Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 09:25

Good morning

Has anyone replaced the ceramic floor times in their home. The pattern on ours is really not to our taste and dictates a layout that doesn't work for us.

We had thought about laying wooden/vinyl flooring on top of them, but we've recently had a significant water leak and it's been a relief to have ceramic.

Taking up the existing and replacing them seems like it would be a significant, messy and disruptive job. Can anyone offer any advice or personal experience?

Many thanks
FFx

Latest post on 09 July 2015 - 16:40
Thank you both for your responses!
Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 11:38
Agree with Cowboy! If its possible, have the new tiles placed on top the old ones. Removing tiles is a horrible, noisy, dusty process and your neighbours won't be very happy while the work is being done, if you're in an apartment. You probably won't be either because of the constant banging! You can then have your doors cut/sanded so that they are the right height for the new floor. If you're looking for a place to buy ceramic tiles from, I can definitely recommend Ceramic City opposite Deira City Centre. They have a really good collection, the prices are reasonable and they're professional.
Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 11:22
I had marble installed on top of the ceramic tiles in my living room. I was given the option to remove the existing tiles and have the marble then installed so the floor level doesn't rise too much. However I decided not to do that, extra cost and extra time and extra mess that I wasn't up for. It worked out better for me as the house floor level is a tiny step up now, so when it rains the water no longer enters the house from under the front door. On the downside a carpenter had to adjust my front door to open with the new floor level. In the past I also had my bathroom tiles all removed for remodelling, and it was a loud long process. Probably best done if you are not living in the house at the time.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY