Where to live in Dubai in the first year... | ExpatWoman.com

Where to live in Dubai in the first year...

Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:07

Hello ladies, we are moving in about 1 month and I am struggling to decide where to live for our first year. I am currently considering JLT, Arabian ranches, motor city or Mudon. Kids school will be in Motor city, hubby works in DIFC and I will be at Internet city. While we get to know the town better, access to easy transportation will be very important as well as living in a very serene environment (kids friendly), without having to spend so much money.

Will like to hear how you guys managed in your first year in Dubai.

Latest post on 12 July 2015 - 13:16
If the kids get the school bus then JLT would be suitable for you and hubby to get to work. The only downside is that apartment living can be a bore to kids, but at least JLT has some great outdoor space and park.
Latest post on 09 July 2015 - 22:24
I guess, I would have to add a car then.. I have looked at the different areas, I love Arabian Ranches the most. But its looked like getting out and about in the first couple of months might be a bit tough, when we don't have a car. I would check motor city though, still trying to get used to the idea of living in an apartment. The only advantage I considered for JLT is access to the metro, that way we don't have to drive to work all the time. I guess I needs tips on the easiest way to settle in within the first year, before I find a rhythm that suits my family and I. I live in Arabian Ranches and love it, I lasted two days here without a car though. Motor City isn't all apartments, there are also townhouses and stand alone villas in the Green Community Motor City. There may also be townhouses in the development behind the big Spinneys but I'm not certain. Will your children be going to Gems Metropole? If so there are some houses close enough that they could walk to school, even in the hotter months. Yes Daza, my children will be attending Gems Metropole. I will explore motor city more. Thanks a lot ladies for your comments and insights, You have all been very helpful.
Latest post on 09 July 2015 - 11:46
We live in an apartment in the Views, and have survived perfectly fine without any car for two months. It's very close to the metro while being in a serene green area and there are regular buses that go to the Mall of the Emirates and the Internet City metro. There are lots of children playgrounds and a good feel of community.
Latest post on 09 July 2015 - 10:34
I guess, I would have to add a car then.. I have looked at the different areas, I love Arabian Ranches the most. But its looked like getting out and about in the first couple of months might be a bit tough, when we don't have a car. I would check motor city though, still trying to get used to the idea of living in an apartment. The only advantage I considered for JLT is access to the metro, that way we don't have to drive to work all the time. I guess I needs tips on the easiest way to settle in within the first year, before I find a rhythm that suits my family and I. I live in Arabian Ranches and love it, I lasted two days here without a car though. Motor City isn't all apartments, there are also townhouses and stand alone villas in the Green Community Motor City. There may also be townhouses in the development behind the big Spinneys but I'm not certain. Will your children be going to Gems Metropole? If so there are some houses close enough that they could walk to school, even in the hotter months.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 20:43
I agree with Geordie Expat... somewhere established where you don't have to fend for yourself too much. After your first year or so you'll be prepared to go off piste. This is what we did, Arabian Ranches for two years then ventured up to the very under populated The Villa, some 5 years ago when it was totally off the map! I felt better equipped with the Dubai vagaries after my first two years! Good luck with your move
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 13:04
Another vote for Motor City.... there are also villas and townhouses- not just apartments- have a look at The Green Community Motor City. You can walk around and there's loads of shops and restaurants and more on the way.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 11:35
Don't forget even using the Metro for work, you may still need taxis at both ends, especially during the summer months. There's a couple of people I know, who don't have children who started out like this, living near the Metro without a car and it didn't last long. The Metro is ok, but it's not exactly the quickest form of transport, especially after a long day at work, when all you want to do is crash at home.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 11:30
I guess, I would have to add a car then.. I have looked at the different areas, I love Arabian Ranches the most. But its looked like getting out and about in the first couple of months might be a bit tough, when we don't have a car. I would check motor city though, still trying to get used to the idea of living in an apartment. The only advantage I considered for JLT is access to the metro, that way we don't have to drive to work all the time. I guess I needs tips on the easiest way to settle in within the first year, before I find a rhythm that suits my family and I.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:34
Sorry, but I would add a car to your list of pressing needs. You honestly can't get around Dubai without one. Yes taxis are cheap, but if you're going looking for furniture etc, you really do need one.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:30
Thanks ladies, I would most likely signing up for school bus services for the kids.. so as long as there wont be much traffic on their route to school I am fine. Not knowing how to get around is my major concern now. Do buses get to Arabian Ranches at all? We plan to get a car, but in order of priority not immediately. There are other pressing needs like housing, furnishing and school fees.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:29
Hi, I live in Motor City and just love it. It is a great community with kids, dogs, grass, pools, grocery stores and cafes/restaurants. It is easy accessibility from/to DIFC and Internet City. It is not congested and we have easy access to 3 major highways that will get you easy to Marina, Downtown, Airport in a timely manner. The rent is very affordable and the apartments are very spacious. If you're looking for serenity and away from the madness of traffic, this is the place. Arabian Ranches is next door to Motor City. It is also a nice neighborhood with villas. Some of the villas are a little older and doesn't come with a stove or refrigerator so you have to buy them yourself. But do go look at them and compare them to Motor City. You really just have to get out and look at everything here. But it is a big advantage that you atleast have your neighborhood narrowed down. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:16
If you are looking for a "very serene environment" I would not think JLT would give you a great feeling of tranquility, the Ranches would provide that better but you say you need access to transportation, if you mean you need to be near the Metro then JLT would be convenient but not what you would enjoy in terms of a quiet place to live. Your best bet would be to live near your workplace and schools if you are doing the school runs yourself because the traffic is anything but serene in rush hours!
Latest post on 08 July 2015 - 10:12
Only thing I can say to this, is rent somewhere established for at least your first year, so you don't have to deal with all the snagging issues that come with a new build. I would in all honesty rule Mudon out. Travelling times to DIFC from AR and Motor City aren't too bad, sorry can't help with JLT.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY