Sad, lonely and depressed | ExpatWoman.com

Sad, lonely and depressed

Latest post on 11 July 2015 - 16:29

I've been contemplating posting this for a while, but it's really got to me this weekend. I moved back to dubai about a year ago after splitting with my husband. We used to live here for a couple of years until 2013 that and then moved away for a year until we split up. Since I've been back I've been so alone. I was working in a company and made a couple of good friends there and we used to have fun, but one of them got married earlier this year and we don't meet anymore as he's always busy and the other - well it's complicated! I've moved company about 6 weeks ago so haven't been out with anyone at the new place. I have about 3 ex colleagues (women), who I knew from when I was here before, who I do meet up with and we've become good friends but other than meeting for dinner they're never really interested in doing anything. I made my mistake before when I was here as I didn't make any friends as I had my husband but now I want to go out and enjoy myself and go to events etc and no one of these people is up for going out. I spend my weekends at home watching TV. I guess I don't know how to make friends, and sometimes I think maybe I am the problem and no one really likes me. I always feel like it's me making the effort to arrange to meet up with people and then they cancel or they're all busy with other things. I know I sound self pitying but I don't know what to do. I feel like life is passing me by and everyone is enjoying themselves and I'm just working and coming home and watching TV. How do you make new friends? I do go to a couple of exercise classes, but again, I'm on my own - I go in, exercise and come out again.

Latest post on 02 March 2016 - 10:11
why did Admin remove my post when I just recommended a google search yet there are posts here actually naming other groups and clubs ?
Latest post on 01 March 2016 - 07:28
Where are you ladies living? I am a working mum as well living in the Marina end. I would like to meet other working ladies, just for a casual meal with some Entertainer vouchers or something similar. Hi Vera, I am also living in the marina area - not working. Would love to meet up casually for lunch / coffee dates.
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 15:49
Hello Bob, It can't be that baaaad! Cheer up. I was in a similar situation also. All the good friends i Knew that lived in Dubai left-as in relocated or got married and moved out. I was thinking about how difficult it was going to get to make new friends. I found a group on Facebook called Expat Connect. I clicked on their website, signed up and since then, my life hasn't been the same. I met some really good amazing people from different works of life and nationalities; when i started attending their monthly networking events. Maybe you should try doing the same. Now I feel like I've met an amazing family ...because we are all one happy big family. Hope this helps you meet the right people, make friends and network as well....Cheers
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 14:45
Hey Bob2015, we can meet for coffee, I'm a 23 year old girl, I have a corporate job. I'm used to making guy friends, and since all my male friends aren't in Dubai anymore, I miss having that even more. But it's always nice to meet new people, so we can chill some day after work :)
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 12:53
Ladies, we'd love it if you could arrange to meet at our next Evening with ExpatWoman which is on Wednesday March 2nd at Emirates Golf Club from 6pm - 8pm... It will be a great opportunity for you all to meet and then exchange numbers and take it from there :) As per our forum guidelines members are unable to share email IDs and personal contact details on our forum. EW Admin would love to come! have tried a site for expats, went to a ladies meet up at a gym and a light lunch but it was a fail as everyone came with a friend and not much mingling. i felt a bit self conscious & overwhelmed. been here for 7 months, am left alone for 12 hours daily after husband leaves work. i don't work. my only company is a rescued cat we adopted last Sept. Some days are good some days are just lonely. its not been easy. i think i'm starting to have anxiety issues. I'm thinking of going to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque day trip & hoping to meet & make new friends if you leave your email id ..i'' ll be in touch
Latest post on 28 February 2016 - 09:15
Hi Ladies, I'm new and also haven't met anyone. I am going to go to tomorrow's coffee meet up at the marina - hopefully some other newbies come along so I'm not the odd one out! Would love to meet you all. My husband is also working 12 hours a day so it's getting pretty lonely.
Latest post on 27 February 2016 - 07:07
Ladies, we'd love it if you could arrange to meet at our next Evening with ExpatWoman which is on Wednesday March 2nd at Emirates Golf Club from 6pm - 8pm... It will be a great opportunity for you all to meet and then exchange numbers and take it from there :) As per our forum guidelines members are unable to share email IDs and personal contact details on our forum. EW Admin would love to come! have tried a site for expats, went to a ladies meet up at a gym and a light lunch but it was a fail as everyone came with a friend and not much mingling. i felt a bit self conscious & overwhelmed. been here for 7 months, am left alone for 12 hours daily after husband leaves work. i don't work. my only company is a rescued cat we adopted last Sept. Some days are good some days are just lonely. its not been easy. i think i'm starting to have anxiety issues. I'm thinking of going to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque day trip & hoping to meet & make new friends
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 14:23
would love to meet up ..i run my own business from home with most clients abroad in a male dominated environment so i dont have any female friends !! i am even embarrassed to admit to my husband who suggested that i go for ladies night with a bunch of female friends ..
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 11:41
Ladies, we'd love it if you could arrange to meet at our next Evening with ExpatWoman which is on Wednesday March 2nd at Emirates Golf Club from 6pm - 8pm... It will be a great opportunity for you all to meet and then exchange numbers and take it from there :) As per our forum guidelines members are unable to share email IDs and personal contact details on our forum. EW Admin
Latest post on 22 February 2016 - 00:43
Its very sad.... I know from experience. A sad shame I'm in AD and not Dubai, we used to have a met up group each month. Im quite sure its not you, and you find it hard to meet friends, just think its where we live...
Latest post on 21 February 2016 - 20:48
Ladies, I would love to meet u...any e mail to send u??
Latest post on 21 February 2016 - 20:13
Hi BoB, I have joined this amazing community for expats, it's InterNations, where you could meet like minded people, meet new friends, and enjoy altogether! The last meet up I've been to was at the Cavalli Club, and it was great! They also have different groups that you could join aside from the regular meetings, from volunteering, sports, music, coffee lovers, and dancing! Try it and hope you'll feel better and no longer alone.
Latest post on 21 February 2016 - 09:19
Hi m1987 and Lau10oana I am definitely still up for making friends :) It's a Friday night and I'm working so I definitely need a life :) - just not sure how we can message off this forum. Well I am gonna post my email address and if you guys get to it before the admin does then that would be a miracle :D lol Hi, I have sent you an email more than a week ago and was wondering if you have received it as never got a reply back.
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 09:34
Was just thinking about this thread the other day and it's really nice to see some meet up invitations. I also wondered if getting out there and doing some voluntary work might be a nice way to meet some other people for a chat at well as doing something useful.
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 08:41
Where are you ladies living? I am a working mum as well living in the Marina end. I would like to meet other working ladies, just for a casual meal with some Entertainer vouchers or something similar. I live in Sports city but happy to drive :)
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 08:25
Where are you ladies living? I am a working mum as well living in the Marina end. I would like to meet other working ladies, just for a casual meal with some Entertainer vouchers or something similar.
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 06:47
If one of you leaves your email address you can delete it when the other users have confirmed they've received it. And if one of you don't want to go to a function on your own, I'll go with you! ? That's so nice of you :)
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 06:46
Dubai is not an easy place to make friends, I have been here a while now and the first year it was like freshers week at college! Was pregnant so made lots of bump friends and when the kids were at nursery lots of play dates and meetups. Kids now settled for a few years in school - I actually find it really hard to make friends - work full time and every thing in between is housework and kids. The class mums seem to be overly concerned about who you are and what use are you to their child - do you meet their social requirements etc etc etc. I have gone the other way now and feel that I'm better off not relying on people and don't expect anything from them. I guess it's not too wise as it then leads to loneliness. I am not exactly in the same boat as have a lovely partner but he has to have his own interests and friends and me too. Maybe it's adulthood? I don't know, maybe social media makes us all feel inadequate and leads to social anxiety. might be a good idea to start up a meet up for working women that's a bit more casual than a golf club just need a cafe Nero or something? I totally agree with you. I do have a lovely husband too and a little girl, and work full time but I miss just doing girly things and have some time for myself. I am up for a casual meet up :)
Latest post on 07 February 2016 - 22:13
Oh man, do I know this feeling! I'm actually thinking of joining this week's Coffee Morning at MOE. It's at 8:30AM at Costa. I figured it'd be nice to meet some new people even though I'm not always active on here. Do any of you know if you have to reserve a spot or do you just show up?
Latest post on 07 February 2016 - 00:48
Hi m1987 and Lau10oana I am definitely still up for making friends :) It's a Friday night and I'm working so I definitely need a life :) - just not sure how we can message off this forum. Well I am gonna post my email address and if you guys get to it before the admin does then that would be a miracle :D lol
Latest post on 06 February 2016 - 12:12
Lazypop, I could have written your post myself! But there are some good people out there so don't give up. Would you be interested if we all met up, even if we go to an arranged coffee morning or something?
Latest post on 06 February 2016 - 09:44
Dubai is not an easy place to make friends, I have been here a while now and the first year it was like freshers week at college! Was pregnant so made lots of bump friends and when the kids were at nursery lots of play dates and meetups. Kids now settled for a few years in school - I actually find it really hard to make friends - work full time and every thing in between is housework and kids. The class mums seem to be overly concerned about who you are and what use are you to their child - do you meet their social requirements etc etc etc. I have gone the other way now and feel that I'm better off not relying on people and don't expect anything from them. I guess it's not too wise as it then leads to loneliness. I am not exactly in the same boat as have a lovely partner but he has to have his own interests and friends and me too. Maybe it's adulthood? I don't know, maybe social media makes us all feel inadequate and leads to social anxiety. might be a good idea to start up a meet up for working women that's a bit more casual than a golf club just need a cafe Nero or something?
Latest post on 06 February 2016 - 09:44
Dubai is not an easy place to make friends, I have been here a while now and the first year it was like freshers week at college! Was pregnant so made lots of bump friends and when the kids were at nursery lots of play dates and meetups. Kids now settled for a few years in school - I actually find it really hard to make friends - work full time and every thing in between is housework and kids. The class mums seem to be overly concerned about who you are and what use are you to their child - do you meet their social requirements etc etc etc. I have gone the other way now and feel that I'm better off not relying on people and don't expect anything from them. I guess it's not too wise as it then leads to loneliness. I am not exactly in the same boat as have a lovely partner but he has to have his own interests and friends and me too. Maybe it's adulthood? I don't know, maybe social media makes us all feel inadequate and leads to social anxiety. might be a good idea to start up a meet up for working women that's a bit more casual than a golf club just need a cafe Nero or something?
Latest post on 06 February 2016 - 00:35
If one of you leaves your email address you can delete it when the other users have confirmed they've received it. And if one of you don't want to go to a function on your own, I'll go with you! ?
Latest post on 05 February 2016 - 18:54
Hi m1987 and Lau10oana I am definitely still up for making friends :) It's a Friday night and I'm working so I definitely need a life :) - just not sure how we can message off this forum.
Latest post on 05 February 2016 - 18:10
Hey Bob, I'll be relocating to dubai in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna feel exactly the same. I'm a bit shy and an introvert so connecting with people and making friends isn't exactly something I'm good at. If you'd like to meet up some time or have a chat and get to know each other , pm me :) Hiya Bob 2015 and m1987, I would like to meet up if you are still interested in making friends. ☺
Latest post on 28 January 2016 - 15:36
Hey Bob, I'll be relocating to dubai in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna feel exactly the same. I'm a bit shy and an introvert so connecting with people and making friends isn't exactly something I'm good at. If you'd like to meet up some time or have a chat and get to know each other , pm me :)
Latest post on 15 July 2015 - 21:05
It sounds as though you need to get some new interests to pursue and meet people that way. The gym is very much something you do on your own, but a group activity like a choir, theatre group, book club, cookery or pottery classes are more interactive and social. Ductac at MOE has loads of classes starting in September and there are lots of other places you could look at as well, and various listings in Time Out for all sorts of interest groups and volunteering opportunities. You're more likely to meet like-minded people and have something in common to talk about with them that way and learning a new skill will help build your confidence and give you something to look forward to outside work. Good luck!
Latest post on 15 July 2015 - 11:44
Don't forget, everyone is in the same boat. We have all been new and arrived without friends, don't be afraid to go to meet ups on your own, it is highly likely that others will be there on their own too.
Latest post on 14 July 2015 - 16:48
Dear OP, I know it seems difficult at first and realistically speaking, it gets better for some but worse for others especially when they can't seem to find people to be friends with or refuse to put themselves out there. To be an expat, you need to go out of your comfort zone, meet people and be open-minded. I know people who are introverts and have social anxiety, thus they stay home and avoid people as much as they can. But they are only making things worse for them because they get lonely at times too and end up hating Dubai, for that matter. I hope you do get yourself out there. I was shy too, at first. But then I started talking to people more because if I was going to stay in my shell and be antisocial nothing's going to change about my situation. Good luck! You can always join ExpatWoman get-togethers so you can meet fellow women who are adjusting to the city and women who have been here for ages.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY