What's with re-registering telephone numbers again! | ExpatWoman.com

What's with re-registering telephone numbers again!

Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 14:27

Just got a sms telling me my registration has expired and I need to reregister. This is so annoying. When we registered a few years ago, I had no idea it was going to be a regular thing.

Latest post on 01 August 2015 - 16:47
Has anyone considered this is a security issue? With the use of technology so prevalent and the mobility of the population, perhaps the authorities have required all the various ways of "tracking" residents are being updated?
Latest post on 01 August 2015 - 10:42
I re-registered at the Etisalat desk in Times Square Mall last night. Even though it was a weekend there was no line and the whole thing took less than 10 minutes.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 16:53
It's simply sheer laziness on etisalat and du's part! They can't be bothered (or don't have the means) to check whose ID documents are expiring so they just send everyone "blanket" sms with random deadlines. I have spoken to several people in the long queues and none of them had ID's that had expired or were expiring imminently, yet they all had to re-register by July 31. To top it off, they pick a date in the middle of summer when many people are away and unaware and then they put on a third of the staff to handle this "quick" process, which takes at least 5 minutes per person. The service centre I went to had spaces for four staff and only one was there handling a queue of at least 20 people at all times. It took forever! They also "blame" the TRA which has made the ID registration compulsory. The Central Bank also made it compulsory for all bank accounts, but you don't see banks sending everyone an sms at the same time telling them to bring in their IDs for scanning! In fact, you can just send the bank a scanned copy of your ID to a dedicated e-mail address when they remind you it has expired. Why etisalat and du can't do the same is beyond me!
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 13:20
This article in Gulf News may explain it: http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/society/why-you-need-to-re-register-your-sim-card-1.1558309
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 12:42
That's why it doesn't make sense for me as my Visa was renewed 2014?
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 12:05
My visa was renewed in May and I haven't had to re-register my number, touch wood. I've probably tempted fate now!
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 11:59
Your phone is linked to your visa, so every time you renew your visa, you have to renew your phone registration. People without visas can still keep their numbers - my mother did this when she came for a visit recently - she's on DU, just had to pay a small reregistration fee to activate the number again. My Visa doesn't need renewing til next March :confused:
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 11:50
Your phone is linked to your visa, so every time you renew your visa, you have to renew your phone registration. People without visas can still keep their numbers - my mother did this when she came for a visit recently - she's on DU, just had to pay a small reregistration fee to activate the number again. Oh, just another fee ;)
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 11:38
Your phone is linked to your visa, so every time you renew your visa, you have to renew your phone registration. People without visas can still keep their numbers - my mother did this when she came for a visit recently - she's on DU, just had to pay a small reregistration fee to activate the number again.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 11:35
It's rediculous! I have not had to register mine before, but have been asked to do so before the end of this Month. The annoying thing is, I only recently had to give them my valid I.D to get a nano SIM for new phone, and Visa/I.D are still valid until 2017.....?!?! You would think they would manage to link it all to the account. I have had the same number for over 7 years and pay Monthly online.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 10:01
So what happens to your phone number if your visa runs out and you have to do visa runs? An article in the paper today said that if you do not renew the number, the number and phone service will be suspended and you have up to three (3) months (I think) to turn in the appropriate paperwork. If you fail to do that, then the number will be lost and go back into circulation. So those whose visa runs out and they revert back to their tourist visa and do visa runs will they have their telephone disconnected within 3 months?. We did visa runs for around 6 months a while back.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 08:58
1 hour waiting time at etisalat Mcc yesterday - just get a ticket and keep popping back we did this - waited abt 10mins in total
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 01:57
So what happens to your phone number if your visa runs out and you have to do visa runs? An article in the paper today said that if you do not renew the number, the number and phone service will be suspended and you have up to three (3) months (I think) to turn in the appropriate paperwork. If you fail to do that, then the number will be lost and go back into circulation.
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 14:26
So what happens to your phone number if your visa runs out and you have to do visa runs?
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 13:04
I thought so too, cowboy, but the online registration is a complete joke! You enter your details into an online form which you then print and take to an etisalat service centre to present with your original ID!!! So what is the point, exactly? All you do online is type your details instead of filling in the form in person. I did the online registartion and then asked the person at the counter if I still had to queue up or could I just drop off the form with a copy of my ID attached. He said that I had to line up and then present the original ID so they could scan it. It's totally ridiculous! And to top it off, you get told a week beforehand that this needs to be done so if you work, you turn up at MOE or some other mall after work to do this, only to wait in line for almost 2 hours. Seriously, the way some things are done leaves me completely speechless.
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 11:54
You can re-register your mobile online, it's perfect if you are away for the summer or can't be bothered to wait in line for an hour to get it done.
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 10:02
So I too can confirm this is going to be an ongoing thing, linked to ID/VISA renewal... at least there is no charge related but hanging around at Etisalat is such a pain. We have a "guest" phone for family to bring when they travel from England which therefore only gets used intermittently. Had it for years but waiting to see whether the next travellers will have a working sim or not! Oh, the joys!!
Latest post on 24 July 2015 - 19:19
I have just renewed my childrens phones again !! Children - the youngest is 18 !! I am double annoyed because my daughter has had her number cancelled as she hasn't used it for 3 months! No she hasn't, but it is /was a Wasel phone, topped up etc, and used when she came back on holiday from University ! What does it matter if she only uses it every 4 months - it is already paid for and was in credit, So now when she comes back she has no phone!
Latest post on 24 July 2015 - 09:30
Norak I had the same message recently and it came when my visa/ID had expired. They wanted my new visa and ID card details. I understood what and why when I got the sms, but we were never told at the time the registering of the telephone numbers a few years ago that there was going to be a regular renewals -- just like your visas, ID cards, etc. Now, obviously, it's going to be another thing you "must" do on top of everything else. The sad part is that I have had this number for over 20 years, and I will probably lose it.
Latest post on 23 July 2015 - 23:14
Norak I had the same message recently and it came when my visa/ID had expired. They wanted my new visa and ID card details.
Latest post on 23 July 2015 - 18:34
Thanks norak!
Latest post on 23 July 2015 - 17:42
Believe it only applies to mobiles---pre-paid and post paid both as my daughter also got the same message and she has had her phone number for a number of years as well.
Latest post on 23 July 2015 - 16:58
Does this matter about re registering for a phone apply to everyone? Does it apply to the fixed line phones or just mobiles? Not in Dubai at present so don't know about it apart from this thread.
Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 16:40
Have also just had a text from Etisalat about this... I too thought I was registered for ever but have spent 8 weeks abroad and I wonder whether that has affected my information with them. I am pay-as-you-go and therefore won't use it abroad for calls unless I have to and also only a few texts. We shall see but they have given me until Friday next week to attend a customer service centre with ID etc before they cut me off (and we are only flying back from Egypt this evening, as if there isn't enough to do on arrival back from vacation!!!) :angry::thinking:
Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 14:40
I got texts from Du about this every day while I was abroad on holiday last month. Miffed is an understatement, especially when I had to do it last year. Of course, when I went, the sales bloke tried to sell me a contract. Pain in the..... that's what they are :angry:
Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 14:38
Are you sure its not spam? Try calling etisalat and find out what this is all about.
Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 14:35
Lucky you. I've had this number for 20 years and, at the moment, don't have a emirates ID, so I am sunk. Needless to say, this number is used for everything. I can say that in all the year I have had this number, I don't believe I have ever been late in settling my bill in full each month. It says I have until the end of July or I could lost it. So frustrating.
Latest post on 22 July 2015 - 14:28
I didnt get one. Im registered until 2025 according to etisalat. LoL!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY