Letting people take photos of your kids? | ExpatWoman.com

Letting people take photos of your kids?

Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 17:51

We just had a couple of the facility maintenance guys for our estate come around today to fix a few things. Just me at home and I'm pregnant, one of the guys (he's from Pakistan he told me) stayed downstairs whilst the others were upstairs working and was very talkative, asking about the baby and then started showing me pictures/videos on his phone of kids in other villas he has been to, one of which was a screensaver on his phone. He ended up making me feel quite uncomfortable as I couldn't understand him properly but he seemed to be wanting to come back after the baby is born or something. Anyway I was surprised that these mums had let him photograph/video their kids - is that just me being overly sensitive being pregnant? I wouldn't be happy having photos of my baby being shown around with the added info of which villa we live in....

Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 23:00
at the risk of sounding crazy, Ive spent many years all over the world. Yes, if someone did that in Australia, I'd freak. In countries like India, pakistan, Thailand, Indonesia etc it's quite normal for people to pat a strange child's head or shake their hand or ask to hold them etc. I used to freak out when they did that, it took me a while to learn that different cultures have different ways of doing things. It's mostly of good nature. But in the crazy world we live in today, it's hard to trsut. Having said that, I'd still be super careful and keep an eye out of course, but just giving my 2c about what I know :)
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 10:48
By law it's forbidden to take pictures of anyone without their consent. As simple as that, child or adult. I have seen western kids posing for a bunch of Japanese tourists here, parents were fine with it. I find the fact that parents are ok with it creepier than the tourists who were snapping away.
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 00:05
Completely wrong. No one should even attempt to kiss your child, and as for taking pictures, that's just creepy....
Latest post on 26 July 2015 - 16:04
Watch your kids, be with your kids ALWAYS and be aware of what's going on around you, if someone is taking photos tell them to stop immediately or call security, end of story. Please don't beat this thread up as if Dubai is the only city with creepy weirdo's in it. You are in a different country with a different culture, large variety of other nationalities and things will be different. To sisterscott, Americans are usually good tippers, maybe they were going all out with your kids for that reason, it happens. I would be very upfront and tell people not to touch my kids. The silent weirdos - the ones that don't blatantly ask to take pics of my kids are the ones I worry about...but I don't get creepy vibes from these people. I think they are genuinely enthralled by my kids being different than what they're used to...but we're totally not used to people going this far on and on...it's flattering but it took my aback. I've got major anxiety right now and my first thought was that they'd end up on some website where someone could see their photo and snatch them up if I wasn't paying close enough attention. Totally extreme and irrational thought - I've watched Taken too many times ;) but still my first thought!
Latest post on 26 July 2015 - 12:34
Watch your kids, be with your kids ALWAYS and be aware of what's going on around you, if someone is taking photos tell them to stop immediately or call security, end of story. Please don't beat this thread up as if Dubai is the only city with creepy weirdo's in it. You are in a different country with a different culture, large variety of other nationalities and things will be different. To sisterscott, Americans are usually good tippers, maybe they were going all out with your kids for that reason, it happens. I would be very upfront and tell people not to touch my kids.
Latest post on 26 July 2015 - 12:17
without their consent It is illegal to photograph anyone here. You can report them
Latest post on 26 July 2015 - 10:19
Ok I've been wanting to ask this but have been afraid to. We arrived on Tuesday from the US. People have been asking to take photos of my kids, and I've even caught some doing it discreetly sitting behind us at our hotel restaurant. One man even kissed one of my sons on the cheek! We asked our friend who my husband is working for and he said that totally wasn't normal (he's an Emirati). We have no idea what the deal is. We thought maybe it was because we have blonde haired blue eyed babies but our friend says there are lots of "white" people here and to tell people not to take photos of our kids. It seems that the general culture here doesn't believe in personal space like we do in the US - which I think will take some getting used to for us...but for now - I'm constantly worried about people touching my baby and taking photos of my kids. I have a 6 month old and that's pretty normal for people to do [touch your baby'> in the US (even though I hate it) but not a toddler and almost 7 year old!
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 22:37
Not comfortable with that at all! Once on a flight a man started taking pictures of my baby right in front of me! Needless to say I was infuriated and demanded he deleted them at once, I actually took his phone and deleted them myself. Felt a bit stupid afterwards but the mama bear turned into a grizzly bear within seconds. I could tell the man didn't have milcious intent, he just found kids adorable but didn't understand that its not okay to photograph other peoples kids. Its lack of manners/awareness that people do mind. He was not very educated.
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 20:37
It's not just because you are pregnant, it's alarming and creepy. Why would you even want to take photos of somebody else's children, I know I wouldn't and its not like he works in childcare?.. It's inappropriate and I can't answer why other people let him take photo, but I would not. Some people have no boundaries and while he might not have any malicious intent, it just takes one share and it's not safe. If he comes back and starts asking more questions maybe just tell him come back and ask your husband. I think if you firmly say no, he should back off.
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 18:03
I wouldn't be comfortable with that either.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY