what is the average weekly grocery cost per week? is it just me who feels its getting expensive | ExpatWoman.com

what is the average weekly grocery cost per week? is it just me who feels its getting expensive

Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 15:06

what is a average weekly grocery bill for a small family- couple, 18 month old baby and maid - we eat out at least 2-3 times a week and still i feel our grocery bills have increased a lot.

Latest post on 03 August 2015 - 06:32
I try to be a smart shopper. I don't wait to buy cleaning products when they run out, instead I buy them when they are on offer, the same goes for staples. Fruit and vegetables are cheap in Hyper Panda. They even sell organic for less than any other shop I have seen. Spinneys is good on Market days, their produce is of good quality, but too expensive for buying everything. I don't find Coop that cheap, I think Carrefour got better offers. The fish market in Umm Suqeim harbour is good.
Latest post on 03 August 2015 - 01:57
we shop our meat from a local butchery shop , fish from the local fish market , or sometimes Union Cop. groceries always from Union Cop , and we rarely go to C4 , spinneys. Veggis and fruits are also from Union
Latest post on 01 August 2015 - 22:26
I love and use Spinney for the meat, veg and Pork section, everything else I would normally go to carrefour. Only just moved back to the UAE, so we have to restock the cupboards with everything, so yes I have noticed we have spent a fortune the last week.
Latest post on 31 July 2015 - 19:02
Strangely, our grocery bill seems to have dropped.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 18:37
Whew I was worried for a bit! I aim for 800 but it's more like 1200 a week too, although I have three kids, no pets. I don't eat meat personally but fish 1-2x per week, and they don't usually eat red meat. I don't try to spend a lot but I have to get what we need... I try to do one big shop per week also, usually c4 as they have a better cereals, cheese and bread selection than co op in my opinion. I try not to go to park n rob anymore unless it's an absolute craving like bubblegum soda or something specific. However, I do prefer spinneys for bread and it won't add up if I go in, get breads, and leave.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:50
No its not just you - it is getting much more expensive. I do my big weekly shop - fruit and veg, cleaning products, toiletries, dry foods some fresh food from Union coop once a week and usually spend around AED600. (If I go to Spinneys or Park n Shop when I feel lazy I can add an extra 200 to the bill for the same stuff!) On top of that 3 or 4 times a week I am passing by the local Spinneys for bread, milk, fish, meat and on average spend around 150 dhs a time. So I reckon I am spending around AED1200 a week minimum before the pet food etc. We buy a lot of fresh chicken, steak, fish fruit and veg which bumps up the bill but I think it is pretty normal stuff. We are 2 adults and 1 child. My cat food supplies I buy separately from dubaipetfood. The prices have gone up a lot for sure! We eat out for lunch or dinner 2 times at weekend. We prepare packed lunches for school and work from above budget every day.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:06
Whilst for the most part I agree that C4 and Union Co-op are cheaper, you have to be careful as sometimes they slip in some high prices. I nearly always get my fruit and veg in UC but last week, the stuff i normally get was more expensive than Spinneys!! (I know, I couldn't believe it either) I get dog food in Spinneys, Pork and kids food in the Organic shop on the 3rd weekend (20% off), Staples in C4 and Union Co-op for fresh stuff. We are 3 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs and i think I spend about 2500 a month including 2 lots of nappies and dog food etc - we eat in 5 nights a week Do you include cleaning products and items like shampoos/toothpastes/etc. in here as well? My family of two spends about the same monthly and now I am thinking what I've been doing wrong. Yes, that includes everything You are 2 adults and you spend the same? seems a bit much - have a look at what is costing you so much - perhaps you buy all imported goods which can add up a lot. I tend to buy things that are on offer and if there is a good buy on washing powder, for example, then i will buy a few at once My husband works from home half of the time so we eat in three times a day on those days. Maybe that's the reason?
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:03
Whilst for the most part I agree that C4 and Union Co-op are cheaper, you have to be careful as sometimes they slip in some high prices. I nearly always get my fruit and veg in UC but last week, the stuff i normally get was more expensive than Spinneys!! (I know, I couldn't believe it either) I get dog food in Spinneys, Pork and kids food in the Organic shop on the 3rd weekend (20% off), Staples in C4 and Union Co-op for fresh stuff. We are 3 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs and i think I spend about 2500 a month including 2 lots of nappies and dog food etc - we eat in 5 nights a week Do you include cleaning products and items like shampoos/toothpastes/etc. in here as well? My family of two spends about the same monthly and now I am thinking what I've been doing wrong. Yes, that includes everything You are 2 adults and you spend the same? seems a bit much - have a look at what is costing you so much - perhaps you buy all imported goods which can add up a lot. I tend to buy things that are on offer and if there is a good buy on washing powder, for example, then i will buy a few at once
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:30
Whilst for the most part I agree that C4 and Union Co-op are cheaper, you have to be careful as sometimes they slip in some high prices. I nearly always get my fruit and veg in UC but last week, the stuff i normally get was more expensive than Spinneys!! (I know, I couldn't believe it either) I get dog food in Spinneys, Pork and kids food in the Organic shop on the 3rd weekend (20% off), Staples in C4 and Union Co-op for fresh stuff. We are 3 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs and i think I spend about 2500 a month including 2 lots of nappies and dog food etc - we eat in 5 nights a week Do you include cleaning products and items like shampoos/toothpastes/etc. in here as well? My family of two spends about the same monthly and now I am thinking what I've been doing wrong.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 11:10
I find it cheaper to order food from Cook A Box as they provide three meals for the week - this way I don't go to the supermarket so often. Everytime I 'pop' into a supermarket for one or two items I end up spending at least 300 AED so now I try not to go in. Might be cheaper because you avoid spontaneous purchases but at AED 100 or more for a meal for 4 people, I think that's a lot and you still have to have bits in your house for the recipes. I had a terrible experience with them also but even the other companies offering the same service....
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 11:08
Whilst for the most part I agree that C4 and Union Co-op are cheaper, you have to be careful as sometimes they slip in some high prices. I nearly always get my fruit and veg in UC but last week, the stuff i normally get was more expensive than Spinneys!! (I know, I couldn't believe it either) I get dog food in Spinneys, Pork and kids food in the Organic shop on the 3rd weekend (20% off), Staples in C4 and Union Co-op for fresh stuff. We are 3 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs and i think I spend about 2500 a month including 2 lots of nappies and dog food etc - we eat in 5 nights a week
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 10:17
I find it cheaper to order food from Cook A Box as they provide three meals for the week - this way I don't go to the supermarket so often. Everytime I 'pop' into a supermarket for one or two items I end up spending at least 300 AED so now I try not to go in.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 09:46
Hey, I would suggest shopping grocers at Carrefour & Lulu. Its cheap & fresh. I cook both meals at home for 2 people. I have a routine where every Friday morning i go buy all grocery's for a week. It has dropped my expenses to half. once i shopped at Spinneys & Geant & i realized all vegetables are 2- 3 times the price. Hope i have been of help.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 17:38
It also depends on the location of the supermarket. My small Carrefour close by is more expensive. And I guess when you have a family your bills might increase as kids get bigger and eat more? Or perhaps people 's taste change and can become more expensive. I shop mostly in Carrefou ( for points) and when it comes to fruit and veg I stick to the home brand ( which is local produce here) avoid French/Dutch organic stuff as well as the Greek and Rachel's yoghurts. I did notice that the prices for dairy have gone up, at least when you look at the long life milk. All in all I try to stick to local and regional stuff and look out for meat deals to buy in bulk and freeze. It's obviously pricier as it's imported but I find the Pakistani and South African meat quite good, apart from when I want a steak. Then I'll get NZ meat.
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 16:04
it has become more but there is also a HUGE price difference in Spinneys vs. Carrefour/Coop. For instance, I buy those small red circle Babybel cheeses at Careefour for about 9dhs for a pack, the SAME pack at Spinneys is for about 18dhs! Not everything has such a difference in price but it gives you an idea of how expensive Spinneys/Waitrose can get! Al Maya downstairs is the same!!! hence I try not to shop there even though it is convenient Once I did a shop and compared the receipt with Tescos ( Where I shop at home) some items were slightly more expensive ( A dirham or so) and some items were cheaper. which surprised me There isn't a lot of cheap own brand choice here which I miss
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 15:58
it has become more but there is also a HUGE price difference in Spinneys vs. Carrefour/Coop. For instance, I buy those small red circle Babybel cheeses at Careefour for about 9dhs for a pack, the SAME pack at Spinneys is for about 18dhs! Not everything has such a difference in price but it gives you an idea of how expensive Spinneys/Waitrose can get!
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 15:54
I haven't seen a huge change but then i don't shop in Spinneys or Waitrose I tend to avail the offers and buy in bulk for cleaning stuff/dry/canned goods and cook from scratch and freeze meals For veg and fruit I go to Co-op. I now avoid branded stuff as the company's own brand is just the same I only use Spinneys for bread and pork products. My colleague has a Husband and a child and she says her shopping bill is around 400 per week which is the same as what she spent at home ( 2 years ago)
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 15:34
My DH has been whinging about how much I spend on groceries for a while, and I will concede that I go to the most expensive place but its my choice and its convenient. So I made him do the groceries last week and he was horrified, he couldnt believe that our weekly shop has doubled in the last 7 years.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY