Banned / Restricted Prescriptions | ExpatWoman.com

Banned / Restricted Prescriptions

Latest post on 31 July 2015 - 08:01
Get a doctor's letter as well. Prescription + drugs is okay (and should be fine) but best get a letter giving approval for her to be taking these drugs so it can be shown to officials if requested. Best cover all your bases. It's absolutely fine to bring in prescription drugs which are on the 'banned' list JUST SO LONG as you have permission from your home country doctor to do so, and it's only in an amount which is for the duration of the visit/trip (ie not a traffickable amount, if that makes sense). I was on a Ministry-approved prescription for Tramadol a few years back and made sure that I had my orthopod's letter AND prescription when leaving the country, just so I could be sure I could bring the leftovers back. As it was, no one checked, but I felt better for having the back-up letter. .
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 07:31
All she has to do is put the medication in her purse together with the written prescription and she'll be fine. Unless she keeps a 60+ day supply they won't even say a word about it when she comes through customs. My husband takes vicodin daily and always brings it with him here and has never had an issue. Just keep the written prescription with her at all times.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:42
That medication you will not get over the counter it is government controlled here.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:41
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping to seek some sort of answer or advice! My sister is preparing her trip from the US to Dubai early next month and we’re super excited to be reunited! The only worry is that she takes two prescription medications (Abilfy & Clonazepam) and from what i’ve read online these medications are banned in the UAE, but are available in pharmacies here. Unfortunately these are medications she cannot just stop taking for the sake of the trip, so she will need these for the duration of her stay. I have reached out to my doctor for advice and he said that she should be fine to travel with them with her doctors prescription and only the amount of tablets she needs since they are medications available in Dubai. But after reading more and more online I’m not convinced that it will be safe for her to travel without getting into some sort of trouble with the law. I have heard about her getting this (i'm copying and pasting from their website): Patients or travelers carrying prescribed prescription medications must have their prescriptions issued by licensed U.S. doctors, attested by a notary public, and duly authenticated by both the secretary of state of one’s U.S. state, and finally also authenticated by the Secretary of State of the U.S. Government in Washington, D.C. But this sound like a lengthy process, one that we won't have time for. :( Does anyone have any experience with this or know what would be the best route for us to take? Thank you for taking the time to read this! xx I traveled with Valium in my luggage but had a doctors letter saying I needed it. No one checked my bags, had no issue. Came from Australia.
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 18:36
Have you spoken to anyone at a pharmacy here to see if you can buy said meds over the counter perhaps? That way you could keep a stock to cover her visit, so she doesn't need to bring anything with her. We brought restricted meds from the UK, along with a copy of the prescription and a letter from the consultant, in hand luggage - no one even bothered to check.
Latest post on 27 July 2015 - 17:48
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping to seek some sort of answer or advice! My sister is preparing her trip from the US to Dubai early next month and we’re super excited to be reunited! The only worry is that she takes two prescription medications (Abilfy & Clonazepam) and from what i’ve read online these medications are banned in the UAE, but are available in pharmacies here. Unfortunately these are medications she cannot just stop taking for the sake of the trip, so she will need these for the duration of her stay. I have reached out to my doctor for advice and he said that she should be fine to travel with them with her doctors prescription and only the amount of tablets she needs since they are medications available in Dubai. But after reading more and more online I’m not convinced that it will be safe for her to travel without getting into some sort of trouble with the law. I have heard about her getting this (i'm copying and pasting from their website): Patients or travelers carrying prescribed prescription medications must have their prescriptions issued by licensed U.S. doctors, attested by a notary public, and duly authenticated by both the secretary of state of one’s U.S. state, and finally also authenticated by the Secretary of State of the U.S. Government in Washington, D.C. But this sound like a lengthy process, one that we won't have time for. :( Does anyone have any experience with this or know what would be the best route for us to take? Thank you for taking the time to read this! xx

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY