Obviously raising fuel prices is not enough | ExpatWoman.com

Obviously raising fuel prices is not enough

Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 10:51
It might be classified as a luxury tax, but for some of us it will not be sustainable to live here anymore. For me personally it gets frustrating every time I walk out the door it costs money. There are no or very few free activities that I know of....it gets really difficult at times, especially with children. school fees are very high and workers do start to feel used and tossed. Most people I know who are able to save money, do so to invest in another country where things are different.
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 03:25
Yes, as Oopsie says, when Value Added Tax was introduced to the UK it was billed as a "luxury tax" - added to just about everything except things like children's clothes, safety equipment, most food, books etc...In the UK, citizens get nothing from the tax raised, it's purely a purchase tax. I believe the model for VAT has been in place for several years and is ready to go as soon as someone rubber stamps it but the levels won't be as high as the UK...
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 03:25
Yes, as Oopsie says, when Value Added Tax was introduced to the UK it was billed as a "luxury tax" - added to just about everything except things like children's clothes, safety equipment, most food, books etc...In the UK, citizens get nothing from the tax raised, it's purely a purchase tax. I believe the model for VAT has been in place for several years and is ready to go as soon as someone rubber stamps it but the levels won't be as high as the UK...
Latest post on 01 August 2015 - 23:26
If expats have to pay a VAT then expats need more of a position in this country (passport after a certain amount of time here, free/cheaper schooling, etc). Countries that have VAT also give their citizens and expats rights and a chance to make something of themselves in the country long-term. Not a visa thats finished as soon as your job is and you get booted out of the country. Actually, VAT is a "spending" tax. It is affecting tourists just as much as it's affecting residents, maybe even more so, as lots of tourists come here mainly to shop. VAT has nothing to do with the rights you're mentioning. Most of them are covered by income tax, pension premiums etc.
Latest post on 01 August 2015 - 23:19
If expats have to pay a VAT then expats need more of a position in this country (passport after a certain amount of time here, free/cheaper schooling, etc). Countries that have VAT also give their citizens and expats rights and a chance to make something of themselves in the country long-term. Not a visa thats finished as soon as your job is and you get booted out of the country.
Latest post on 31 July 2015 - 11:49
Recent articles are saying that they are ready to roll out the new VAT scheme and could be in place before the end of the year. With the inevitable increase following the fuel increments, this could be a real double whammy. Cost of flights is sure to be impacted big time and it scares me how much Emirates flights will cost once they pass on these additional taxes!
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 12:05
we already pay it, they just dont tell we do. there is so much hidden tax here Indeed we do. I believe the only tax we don't have is income tax. All the other taxes we pay one way or another.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 11:59
we already pay it, they just dont tell we do. there is so much hidden tax here
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 11:18
Yes, they have been talking about this for well over 7 years and this article is from February. I did read an article somewhere that it is likely to be introduced throughout the the region and its likely to happen sooner rather than later.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 11:03
They have been talking about this for a long time, before i got married so at least 7 years!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY