petrol price increase? | ExpatWoman.com

petrol price increase?

Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 03:36
In Saudi it's less than 50 fils a litre - I don't know why they bother charging at all !! lol
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:53
If you compare petrol to prices in Europe might as well compare education costs and rentals and any imported food items and internet costs..... In most cases, it is higher here. People on all inclusive packages really have no idea how in so many companies, mid level workers get less than 15k/20k, and anyone wanting to live decently has to shell out 25-50% of their income on housing The actual cost of filling up a car will increase slightly, but what about the knock on effects on everything else from school transport to food to taxis? True, but where I'm from I pay a progressive income tax of 30 to 60% on every penny I earn. That more than covers the (semi) public costs you're mentioning. Everyone who thinks they're better of in their home country can pack up and leave. As an expat you have that option.
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:28
Things getting more expensive at a "normal" pace is to be expected because it's simply inflation that every generation faces. A "overnight" 20% increase in rent or a 10% increase in school fees or a 20% increase in petrol prices is not normal inflation, which should hover around the 2-5% range (with 5% considered quite high). The key here is that salaries are not keeping up with these increases. That's the bottom line. Companies are always citing higher costs as an excuse for increasing their prices/fees, but not many of these costs are human resources related because most people (employees) don't have salary increases every year. And then we see reports in the newspapers about millions and billions made in profit, so that tells us where these higher fees are landing!
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:22
. The only reason is seems to be going faster here is that the country has been living in a bubble since the start, and is now slowly integrating. Were you here in 2005-2007, when rents doubled in most parts in less than 3 years? How many parts of the western world has had rent rise in that manner ?
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:18
If you compare petrol to prices in Europe might as well compare education costs and rentals and any imported food items and internet costs..... In most cases, it is higher here. People on all inclusive packages really have no idea how in so many companies, mid level workers get less than 15k/20k, and anyone wanting to live decently has to shell out 25-50% of their income on housing The actual cost of filling up a car will increase slightly, but what about the knock on effects on everything else from school transport to food to taxis?
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:13
That's a fair point as well Rawla. However we seem to forget that prices are on the rise in most parts of the western world. It's something that has always been going on, everywhere. My grandparents complained life was getting more expensive, my parents did and so do I. It's a fact of life. The only reason is seems to be going faster here is that the country has been living in a bubble since the start, and is now slowly integrating. My monthly DEWA bill for a five bed villa+ pool is lower than the electricity bill for my four bed apartment in Europe. The housing fee equals the tax I pay on my house there. Petrol is still a lot cheaper, as are cars. Some things are cheaper, other things are not. For us it works out in our favour, but we don't have school fees to deal with. Jobs her are still pretty secure, whereas in Europe unemployment continues to be on the rise. That's a pressure that far outweighs rising costs here. Many of us say we don't live the Dubai lifestyle. We may not, but if I read the travel posts I never seize to be amazed about the trips people here make, Maldives, Mauritius, Thailand, Sri Lanka etc. Mind you, not backpacking, mostly in fancy resorts. So each and every one of us has to decide for themselves wether or not it's still worth staying. We have an option. Our friends in Europe who've lost their jobs don't.
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:12
its ridiculous, they not doing it to be environmentally friendly or encourage people to use public transport. they know they running out of oil so they trying to make as much money as they can.... come on, where are our battery cars...? Sorry but no. Petrol prices here have been unreasonably low due to government subsidy. Especially when the oil prices were $100 and above, the prices here were unsustainably low. People had no idea as to fair petrol prices. By removing the subsidy now, while oil prices are low, they are softening the blow. When oil prices go up, so will our petrol prices. Not saying I like it, but let's face it, 2.07AED a litre vs 1.50€ is still cheap. Its true! People here are greedy. Its cheap cause we in the middle east...and it will be changed every month. If it stays at 2.07aed a litre its cheap but it wont....
Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 08:03
Fair point, Oopsiedaisy, but we're now being hit from all sides - high rents, high school fees, increasing petrol prices (will soon be on par with Europe if the price of oil goes up), high DEWA bills, high Internet bills, high medical costs and insurance, expensive groceries, etc. For most people, this is not sustainable. To compound the problem, we have no options - no public schools for expats, limited public transport, no real choice when it comes to energy and telecoms providers, limited access to public hospitals, limited range of local products/groceries, etc. I know we don't pay income tax so we aren't entitled to most of the above, but TBH the cost of living has gone up so much that we may as well pay tax and get some of the above in return. People are feeling the pressure from all sides and salaries are simply not keeping up with expenses. Personally, I don't subscribe to the 'people in Dubai live beyond their means/overspend on luxury items' theory. My lifestyle and spending habits haven't changed in many years, but the cost of doing and buying the same things has doubled during that time, while my salary has stayed the same. I agree, I feel there is going to be another recession v soon....people already are starting to panic and when people panic people stop spending....very worrying...
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 22:57
Fair point, Oopsiedaisy, but we're now being hit from all sides - high rents, high school fees, increasing petrol prices (will soon be on par with Europe if the price of oil goes up), high DEWA bills, high Internet bills, high medical costs and insurance, expensive groceries, etc. For most people, this is not sustainable. To compound the problem, we have no options - no public schools for expats, limited public transport, no real choice when it comes to energy and telecoms providers, limited access to public hospitals, limited range of local products/groceries, etc. I know we don't pay income tax so we aren't entitled to most of the above, but TBH the cost of living has gone up so much that we may as well pay tax and get some of the above in return. People are feeling the pressure from all sides and salaries are simply not keeping up with expenses. Personally, I don't subscribe to the 'people in Dubai live beyond their means/overspend on luxury items' theory. My lifestyle and spending habits haven't changed in many years, but the cost of doing and buying the same things has doubled during that time, while my salary has stayed the same.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:56
its ridiculous, they not doing it to be environmentally friendly or encourage people to use public transport. they know they running out of oil so they trying to make as much money as they can.... come on, where are our battery cars...? Sorry but no. Petrol prices here have been unreasonably low due to government subsidy. Especially when the oil prices were $100 and above, the prices here were unsustainably low. People had no idea as to fair petrol prices. By removing the subsidy now, while oil prices are low, they are softening the blow. When oil prices go up, so will our petrol prices. Not saying I like it, but let's face it, 2.07AED a litre vs 1.50€ is still cheap.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:50
Now that's interesting how much goods and services will go up... I wonder when the taxi fares will rise, as I would imagine that they will be the first to go up. Just done an interesting !!! calculation re petrol here and back in the UK Typical UK supermarket unleaded 95 price including retailer mark-up but excluding duty and VAT: £0.39.6 per litre. New UAE unleaded 95 price: £0.37.4 per litre.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:42
Now that's interesting how much goods and services will go up...
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:30
Mine will be an extra AED30 a week...I only in a small car but spend 120 a week on fuel as drive miles on school runs and work.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:29
About a 60dhs increase per tank for me :( I think some people will be moving to Abu Dhabi who are currently commuting!
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 16:05
That means an extra AED25 per 2 weeks for me And I still say you must not drive very much! work and back every day and then locally ( when too hot) or to the mall That's it :-) Recalculated mine now the prices are out and I'm just under 30AED for our car
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:34
That means an extra AED25 per 2 weeks for me And I still say you must not drive very much! work and back every day and then locally ( when too hot) or to the mall That's it :-)
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:32
That means an extra AED25 per 2 weeks for me And I still say you must not drive very much!
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:29
That means an extra AED25 per 2 weeks for me
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:18
its ridiculous, they not doing it to be environmentally friendly or encourage people to use public transport. they know they running out of oil so they trying to make as much money as they can.... come on, where are our battery cars...?
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:16
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank 25 aed a month? you must not drive very much! My maths is rubbish :cry: I now pay around AED1500 a year, if it is USD per year that works out at an extra 61AED per month basing that on their USD387 per head I think there is something wrong with the National article - they are saying that the subsidy that the government pays is USD 387 per head - but is that assuming that every single person in the UAE drives? Moreover, that is the savings to the government based on the current level of oil prices which has very little to do with the actual cost to households. I think you are better off calculating the amount of fuel your car consumes multiplied by the amount of times you visit the gas station a week. So if you drive a Toyota Yaris (fuel tank approximately 40 liters) and fill it up twice a week - your increased costs would be 134.40 dirhams per month. (Assuming my maths are correct!)
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:09
Accidentally deleted that post, no idea how. Anyhow, I've just seen that, thank goodness. Perhaps they were being informed of longer term, but again, sincerely hope not.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 15:07
Just had a meeting about this as I work in the auto industry and our finance teams have been advised that it is likely to increase to 4.4 per litre in the coming days. I'm hoping they have been misinformed....... It shouldn't do as this is the price set for the whole of August.
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:51
U.A.E. SETS 98 OCTANE GASOLINE AT 2.25 DIRHAMS/LITER U.A.E. Sets Unleaded Gasoline 95 Price 2.14 Dirhams/Liter U.A.E. SETS 91 OCTANE GASOLINE AT 2.07 DIRHAMS/LITER U.A.E. SETS DIESEL PRICES AT 2.05 DIRHAMS/LITER
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:28
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank 25 aed a month? you must not drive very much! My maths is rubbish :cry: I now pay around AED1500 a year, if it is USD per year that works out at an extra 61AED per month basing that on their USD387 per head
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:26
24.4% increase - thats pretty huge!
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 14:22
It's 2.14 now. For some reason, diesel prices went down. http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/uae-s-new-petrol-price-announced-dh2-14-per-litre-for-special-super-2015-07-28-1.598336
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 13:44
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank Well we're either both working it out right or wrong as I get approximately the same figure :) How are you coming to that figure?
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 13:35
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank Well we're either both working it out right or wrong as I get approximately the same figure :)
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 13:23
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank 25 aed a month? you must not drive very much!
Latest post on 28 July 2015 - 12:38
From Moodys http://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/uae-fuel-price-change-would-cost-about-387-per-head-this-year This isn't the actual cost yet just an idea If I worked it out correctly it will cost me an extra 25aed a month to fill my tank

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY