Lovebird -- anyone lost one? | ExpatWoman.com

Lovebird -- anyone lost one?

Latest post on 29 July 2015 - 18:30

There was a gorgeous little lovebird in my M9 garden this am (never seen him/her before); just wondered if anyone nearby has lost their pet?

I feed sparrows/natives every morning, so he/she was perhaps attracted to the food source. If I see the bird tomorrow, will take a picture and post it to admin in the hopes it will find its way back to its owner. Such a dear little thing, but totally out of its comfort zone, it seemed to me.

Latest post on 16 August 2015 - 17:18
Oh LadyBee I love your updates........I though I was the only do lally who named and chatted to the birds. When I walk the dogs in the winter ,- 40*c some days ,the little Chickadees follow me down the drive buzzing back and forth in my face wanting their daily nosh. This little fellow won't battle to find a home what with the personality you describe but be very picky when deciding on his "new mom" . There are all sorts of unsavoury people out there who will tell you what you want to hear to get hold of the little one just to sell it on...... *Taps nose* Absolutely understand, Nomad! Now that I feel like I have a 'vested interest' in this little guy's future, I am even more determined that he should either get back to his real home OR have absolutely the best new forever home. I'll definitely be on my guard when screening potential adopters anyway!
Latest post on 16 August 2015 - 17:13
Awww ... thanks, guys. *Blush* CouchPotato: I do feel like I've been adopted! Or something like that. He's definitely enjoying the picnics, that's for sure. My biggest concern -- still -- is that he's bored (as well as missing his home and/or playmates). But so far, so good, I guess! Nomad: I am definitely one for chatting to the birds (and 'assigning' them personalities and all that!). DH used to call me the Mad Bird Lady of Brentford (way back when) because of my slight, er, obsession with them. I used to put all sorts of treats out for the different t!ts and robins and so-forth (and would have 'decoy' feed for the squirrels too) ... I even used to order meal worms once a week as a treat. The robins were so used to the exact day the meal worms arrived, that the cheeky things would fly through the skylight and hop on my dining room table if they felt the food was late. *Whispers* I do miss English birds! ;) So the hunt continues for the owners! Everything is burbling along as usual in the garden, and I can hear our little screechy guy chatting away right now ... so it's all good. Keep spreading the word! Thanks, everyone. x
Latest post on 13 August 2015 - 08:34
Sounds like he has adopted you LadyB and is enjoying your picnics! :P:birthday:
Latest post on 12 August 2015 - 19:14
Oh LadyBee I love your updates........I though I was the only do lally who named and chatted to the birds. When I walk the dogs in the winter ,- 40*c some days ,the little Chickadees follow me down the drive buzzing back and forth in my face wanting their daily nosh. This little fellow won't battle to find a home what with the personality you describe but be very picky when deciding on his "new mom" . There are all sorts of unsavoury people out there who will tell you what you want to hear to get hold of the little one just to sell it on......
Latest post on 12 August 2015 - 09:18
Day 15 of the Lovebird Diary. Call me weird, but the birds which hang out in my garden every morning definitely come with personalities; even the 400-odd sparrows have their quirks. Perhaps the 'scariest' -- to our little Lovebird -- are the two/three crows that stop by every three-to-four days. I call them Avon, Stringer and Wee-bay (if you've watched 'The Wire', you'll understand what I mean!). But as of this morning, while all the *other* birds scarpered for heavy foliage when the Barksdale crew arrived, the Lovebird stood his ground. He just set himself up on the corner of a marble table where I place brekkie, and chirrupped and pecked away at his feed. The crows were ... surprised. Anyhoo, it's Day 15 and everything's continuing on merrily. Apple is a #1 food, but baby carrots aren't a particular favourite. He picks out the sunflower seeds from the mix -- bird junk food, I call it! -- but has a good graze on the budgie mix at least. And he likes raisins ... but not cranberries; red peppers but not green. Picky little guy! Still waiting for an owner to claim this little cutie. Please continue to spread the word, especially using the maid tom-tom! If we haven't heard anything by back-to-school -- while I am now desperately attached to him -- he will need a new home (thankfully, adoption offers have been steady at least). Thanks, everyone. :)
Latest post on 08 August 2015 - 19:40
Thanks so much ... not sure adoption is the way to go yet, but if by the time the holidays are over no one has come forward, that might be an option. They'll have to catch him first though! He lets me get quite close, but isn't at the hopping-on-my-finger stage. ;)
Latest post on 08 August 2015 - 18:51
I've posted on all the lost and found pet sites I can think of on your behalf and the only responses thus far have been from people wishing to adopt him, as opposed to his actual owner. Sorry!
Latest post on 08 August 2015 - 07:12
Oh, bless! That's sweet, but despite being a card-carrying RSPB member (and a great lover of birds), not sure that I'm the person for the job! For one thing, he *has* to have been in an environment where he had toys and a varied diet, and affection and play with other birds (or even a mate! Wow ... what if he has a mate back 'home'? This breed is so monogamous and adore their partner -- if they have one -- I would hate to think the 'other one' is bereft!). We're totally cool with him being safe and happy (we hope!) and well-fed -- well, as well-fed as he can be, based on my Googling! -- but I'm still on the look-out for his real family. You don't, surely, just let a little cutie like this fly away ... at least, I'd hope not (though the evidence on abandoned dogs/cats in Dubai isn't crash-hot). He's 'chatting' away as I type now. Noisy little thing (sorry, neighbours!), but hopefully that means he's in a happy place. :)
Latest post on 07 August 2015 - 20:06
Sounds to me like he/she has found their " real home ".....;);)
Latest post on 07 August 2015 - 17:57
Bumping to keep it on Page 1 (sorry, but needs must!). Day 10 of The Lovebird Diary. He (or she -- I still have no idea really) is still here. He's basically moved into our gazebo and is 'holding court' there for most of the day, squawking away at the top of his voice. He bounces over the garden furniture, waddles on the ground, hops up and down and all around, has a drink and a play in his water bowl, has a nibble at the food I've put out for him ... he's not a pet, but he's a pet to someone, I think! In the early mornings when I feed all the other birds that descend on the garden, he's right in there too. The other birds (mostly sparrows, bul buls, and some wood pigeons and collared doves) are used to him now, so at least he's getting some social contact. No news from anywhere or anyone about having lost this precious little guy. He is just adorable though! Hoping that his family come back from holidays (or something!) in the next few weeks. We'll miss him, but he deserves to be back at his real home. Keep spreading the word! :)
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 08:53
Day 7. All chirruppy on our home front. Our little visitor is quite at home now, hanging out with the other birds in the garden, entertaining itself by swinging on tree branches, having a sing-song, eating food etc ... Maybe it doesn't want to go home? It still hasn't ventured too near me (though I've been within two feet of the bird, to refill his water bowl), so if its owner IS out there (somewhere!), your little Lovebird is safe and well, and seems quite happy. No response from anyone on social media. Guess we'll be playing the long game ... or accepting our new resident. Please continue to spread the word to anyone you know. If you have maids/helpers, ask if they know anyone who might have lost/mislaid a bird in their care too! Thanks, everyone. :)
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 08:45
Bumping up .... Day 5: it feels like we now have a permanent 'member' of the garden. This is NOT a problem -- he chirrups away, eats the food I leave out for other birds (plus a bit of apple!), and there is no danger from predators so far ... but I grow ever more worried that he is being missed at his real home, and that his owners may not even know he is missing. As I mentioned above, maybe his owners are away and a helper is 'in charge' and he/she doesn't know what to do to find this bird (which we've established is a Fischer, not an African, due to his eye markings/colouring). I've posted everywhere to alert people that this little guy is here. No response yet. I know it's still summer holidays, but SURELY someone knows where he belongs! No matter (for now). We'll keep feeding/watering him/her until hopefully we get a response back.
Latest post on 31 July 2015 - 18:09
Ad placed on Lost & Found in Classifieds. Tried to upload photo but it was too big and reducing the MB size made it impossible to tell it was even a bird! Sorry. Gave full description however. PS. The bird has now 'taken up residence' ie has been in the garden all day now (not just for breakfast). I'm sure it's missing its home! Hope the owner or whoever is looking after it sees the ad. My biggest concern is that its owners are on holidays and whoever is looking after it may not read EW or Facebook (or, if a helper, might not know who to contact or what to do). :(
Latest post on 31 July 2015 - 07:42
Thanks! I'll try and take a photo ... er ... tomorrow! I was planning on trying to snap one today (day 3) but my camera battery was dead (silly me). He/she obviously now 'knows the routine' and is showing up when all the other birds do, so ... pretty sure it'll be back tomorrow. And yes, I'll make sure I take a pic when that happens. Such a cutie. I'm sure it's a pet (not a random stray) and am worried for it, because they are generally pets not wild out here. In the meantime, it looks like a Fischer lovebird (or perhaps an immature African). Green body, yellow breast, and red (perhaps going to turn black eventually) head. Thanks, admin. :) .
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 09:56
Hi LadyBee, If you manage to get a picture today, upload it to our classifieds (http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_classifieds.aspx) and we'll do our best to help try find the owner. EW Admin

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY