Can I return if my husband left Dubai with debt? | ExpatWoman.com

Can I return if my husband left Dubai with debt?

Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 14:05

My family and I were one of the many expats who left Dubai in 2009 with unpaid debts - this was not a decision that was taken lightly and I know that this post is probably going to gain me some angry comments, I fully expect them but I would ask you to please not judge me too harshly as the situation was not as cut and dry as just leaving debt behind. Having a young family and no income for over six months with no-one to turn to for help we had no choice but to return to the UK penniless and homeless (that is no exaggeration).
Everything we owned we had to sell to pay for our flights home and we left other family and many dear friends behind. Anyway, that's my brief explanation not an excuse - I know what we did was wrong and we live with the guilt daily. Dubai was and had been our home for a long time.

I will get to the point now - my husband left debts with the bank in his name. I had a card on his account in my name (secondary card holder so not my account/the credit was not signed for in my name although I did have to sign to say I received the card), I still have family in Dubai and one of them is terminally ill. I would really like to visit with my children (it could be the only opportunity we get) but am very concerned about what may face me at the airport - as I was sponsored in effect by my husband, would I also be liable for this debt? I have heard several stories of people being arrested at the airport for debt and do not want to put myself and my children in that situation however I really need to make this trip. If anyone has any advice/experience I would appreciate it.

Latest post on 20 August 2015 - 20:33
I think if you alert your bank that you are about to leave without paying your debts then they issue a travel ban . Once you have gone they have no way of getting their money till you come back . I may be wrong but I was under the assumption that to cancel your visa and leave your debts have to be cleared first too as they check at the airport .
Latest post on 17 August 2015 - 11:48
How about if you leave Dubai with a credit card bill/ loan but continue to pay it off once you have returned to your home country? I am transferring back with my job but won't be able to clear the debt for a few months. I would think that would be ok. Could you somehow check with your bank?
Latest post on 16 August 2015 - 22:44
How about if you leave Dubai with a credit card bill/ loan but continue to pay it off once you have returned to your home country? I am transferring back with my job but won't be able to clear the debt for a few months.
Latest post on 15 August 2015 - 15:58
Until the debts are paid you are at risk . I have a friend who left in similar circumstances in 2008 who's husband has been travelling through Dubai a number of times after checking it was ok to do so until the last time when he was arrested , went to court and has ended up with prison sentence and he will have to pay what is owed before he leaves Dubai ! I know this sounds cruel but I am glad he was caught and has to pay off his loans (although I am sad to hear he received a prison sentence).
Latest post on 13 August 2015 - 08:44
I wonder how many of the ones that left with debts are paying it off or trying to. I can't help but think that some of the rising costs here are part of paying it off.
Latest post on 12 August 2015 - 23:22
Until the debts are paid you are at risk . I have a friend who left in similar circumstances in 2008 who's husband has been travelling through Dubai a number of times after checking it was ok to do so until the last time when he was arrested , went to court and has ended up with prison sentence and he will have to pay what is owed before he leaves Dubai !
Latest post on 10 August 2015 - 13:33
Hi, just my opinion: 1) to be on the safe side, chck if there is anything filed against you. Also any lawyer can chck this. 2) Generally, the issue are usually no civil cases but criminal ones, means bounced chqs, esp any "security chqs" provided to the bank. Liable (for private chqs) is the signatory, who signed. So, if you were signatory on your husbands account and chqs, signed by you, bounced, then YOU are in trouble, not even the account holder 3) If there are civil cases, you find out via lawyer 4) All above sees you as signatory of the account. It has nothing to do with being his spouse. As of my experience, UAE does not apply "Family Liability".
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 19:32
Try these: http://www.detainedindubai.org/#!police-checks/c246s They might be able to help you and apparently their fees are reasonable.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 19:29
mrsmoo - as far as I am aware the debts have not been fully paid off. My husband and I split shortly after our return home, I should have mentioned this in my original post. However, I am not yet divorced so this would probably not make a difference. I had assumed that our visa's would naturally expire as they were not renewed by the sponsor whose company went out of business. It is cancelled in my passport so I think that I may have done this at the airport when we left? It is hard to remember exactly what happened. If it's cancelled on the passport then there is no issue with entering.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 19:21
Did you cancel your visas before leaving? I know your residencies have expired now but I think they need to be cancelled in the immigration system. if they are not cancelled you might not be able to enter the country without canceling your residency in the system. Residence visas automatically expire if you are out of the UAE for more than 6 months. So I think that it's automatically entered into the system. [b'>To the OP: [/b'> I would absolutely get a lawyer to help you with this because of the complexity and gravity of the situation. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact Ludmila Yamalova who does a show on Dubai Eye 103.8. She seems to do a lot of short Q/As on the show. I think people send in interesting questions/topics and she decides what to read on air. Or if you have the money (and especially because this is time sensitive), I would hire a reputable Dubai-based lawyer for a 1-hour consult on the phone. And lastly...no one has the right to judge you or your family for what you guys did. Good luck. An expired visa is not the same as cancelled visa.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 18:40
Did you cancel your visas before leaving? I know your residencies have expired now but I think they need to be cancelled in the immigration system. if they are not cancelled you might not be able to enter the country without canceling your residency in the system. Residence visas automatically expire if you are out of the UAE for more than 6 months. So I think that it's automatically entered into the system. [b'>To the OP: [/b'> I would absolutely get a lawyer to help you with this because of the complexity and gravity of the situation. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact Ludmila Yamalova who does a show on Dubai Eye 103.8. She seems to do a lot of short Q/As on the show. I think people send in interesting questions/topics and she decides what to read on air. Or if you have the money (and especially because this is time sensitive), I would hire a reputable Dubai-based lawyer for a 1-hour consult on the phone. And lastly...no one has the right to judge you or your family for what you guys did. Good luck.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 17:52
when you apply for a loan / CC in the bank , you always have to give them a details of one of your family members with a copy of official ID. since you had a CC shared with your husband hes supposed to provide the bank with your full details also. if the CC is not canceled and paid by the time you left UAE am afraid that yes they have your name in the immigration system. if the amount is very big and its worth , they do include the spouse name in the immigration am saying the above as i used to work in HR department , and we had cases where employees resign from overseas with high debt etc ..
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 16:35
lakesidelady - your pink visa page on your passport needs to have the red "Cancelled" stamp on it for it be considered cancelled. If not, then it's a much longer process to reenter the country.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 16:22
mrsmoo - as far as I am aware the debts have not been fully paid off. My husband and I split shortly after our return home, I should have mentioned this in my original post. However, I am not yet divorced so this would probably not make a difference. I had assumed that our visa's would naturally expire as they were not renewed by the sponsor whose company went out of business. It is cancelled in my passport so I think that I may have done this at the airport when we left? It is hard to remember exactly what happened.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 15:56
Did you cancel your visas before leaving? I know your residencies have expired now but I think they need to be cancelled in the immigration system. if they are not cancelled you might not be able to enter the country without canceling your residency in the system.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 15:43
Have you not paid off the debt in the last 6 years? Could you not pay it off and then travel? Were you on his Visa?
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 14:31
If your husband was the primary account holder of loans/credit cards, then you were/are not liable for his debt. Banks will normally only file a case if the amount is worth pursuing. However, it would be prudent to check with Dubai immigration if you still have your residency card number and they will advise you. I would personally not go to the police as any possibility of knowing you will come back, should it be an issue, may prove detriment.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 14:30
I would expect you to be held accountable for your husbands debts, until they've been fully paid. So as was suggested, try to find out. You don't want to find out at the airport. Don't take it personal, but I truly hope that anyone who's left this, or any other country, with debts, is expected to pay them before being allowed to return.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 14:17
The best would be to research the police register and see if any docket is open in your name. Engage a local lawyer to assist you with that. It is always useful to have a clear conscience, even if you need to come back to the UAE for any other reasons

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY