New to Abu Dhabi - Help required please | ExpatWoman.com

New to Abu Dhabi - Help required please

Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 17:47

My daughter (British/Irish) is relocating to Abu Dhabi. Shk. Khalifa City B (I think)

I'm trying to compile some information for her and would be grateful for any help from the E.W. ladies.

1) Info. on how to get a good housemaid (permanent - live in)

2) A good place to get curtains made.

3) A good vet

4) Places of interest for kids (12 & 8 yrs)

5) Good doctors/dentist/hospital

6) Good ladies hairdresser

7) Reasonable place for grocery shopping

Really appreciate your help

Regards,

L
:thinking:

Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 10:58
Your daughter will find a lot of the information that she required in the Explorer How to guide to Abu Dhabi, available in all the supermarkets over there.
Latest post on 05 September 2015 - 07:24
Back in 2004, I bought a lonely planet guide to Abu Dhabi/Dubai. That helped me a lot when I visited the first few times and finally made the move couple years later after that. I'm not sure if Lonely planet still makes that tour book for that city? I know it's a tour book company but it gives you a list of things and places you would want to go depending where you live. Museums/ Parks/activities/gyms for kids and adults are listed in there, too. Get a map of abu dhabi and read it until it's worn so you know where the landmarks are. Lulu and c4 were my favorite GO TO shops.
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 12:05
My daughter (British/Irish) is relocating to Abu Dhabi. Shk. Khalifa City B (I think) I'm trying to compile some information for her and would be grateful for any help from the E.W. ladies. 1) Info. on how to get a good housemaid (permanent - live in) 2) A good place to get curtains made. 3) A good vet 4) Places of interest for kids (12 & 8 yrs) 5) Good doctors/dentist/hospital 6) Good ladies hairdresser 7) Reasonable place for grocery shopping Really appreciate your help Regards, L :thinking: Hi LDC - Depending on where you live, there are many good Supermarkets: Lulu Carrefour Co-operative these have been the ones I've been using. You also asked about curtains - I went to Sedar a small local chain right with a large showroom, next door to Sofitel and opposite the Sheraton. They are very good, professional but quite pricey. In the end I went with a company called Flair who gave an excellent price and I was helped & advised by a great guy called John 050 122 7599 There's nothing else on the list I can help you with so good luck. Julz
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 11:56
I just can't put my hands on the receipt as I'm moving from a hotel to an apartment - I think about 340AED for a 3/4 head of foils and a cut & blow-dry. If you call them they will give you a rough idea of cost. Cheaper I think than UK but I've come over from London so I do think it's cheaper. Julz
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 11:47
I went to the Cosmopolitan Salon today and had fantastic service from the team, my stylist/colourist was Tina and she made a brilliant job of my hair - I'm all booked up to go back next month, highly recommend them. JulzD Morning Julz, how much was you colour at cosmopolitan? :)
Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 17:19
I went to the Cosmopolitan Salon today and had fantastic service from the team, my stylist/colourist was Tina and she made a brilliant job of my hair - I'm all booked up to go back next month, highly recommend them. JulzD
Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 10:06
Hi there LDC, I'm also very new to Abu Dhabi just into my 3rd week - good hairdressers: Cosmopolitan Salon (tourist area) in the building next to Al Salamah Hospital on Hamdan St 026777014 I'm heading there today, they use Wella products. Glamour Salon - 026263002 4th Street by Corniche Rd. Changes near Hamdan St in Al Markaziyah - 026341147 uses L'Oreal products I'm also looking for curtains & blinds so if you find anyone good, please let me know. Cheers, JulzD
Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 01:28
Thank you Lettie .... I appreciate your response.
Latest post on 06 August 2015 - 23:08
I am sorry that no one responded to your query. Unfortunately the Abu Dhabi board is very quiet and the fact that a lot of ladies are away for the summer also doesn't help. Unfortunately I am useless with regards to the questions you asked. I will try to answer some. 1. http://www.expatwoman.com/abudhabi/monthly_FAQs_Maids_6205.aspx 5. I use the doctors at: http://www.hsmc.ae/ The dentist I use is at: http://www.britishdentalclinic.ae/ I can't claim the above places are the best, just that I use them. Apparently Burjeel Hospital is very popular, but I have never used them (or any other hospital in Abu Dhabi for that matter). 6. I am still searching.... 7. Lulu's and Abu Dhabi Co-op are reasonable, but I prefer to use Geant as it is more convenient for me. Spinneys and Waitrose are both very good but expensive. I don't have any information on the rest. I can't claim my advice will help a lot, but I hope it helps at least a bit.
Latest post on 06 August 2015 - 21:07
Did I do something wrong?? I don't appear to have received any responses!! I thought the ladies of Abu Dhabi would have some of the information below. Perhaps everyone is still on vacation?? Would be grateful for any help and advise. Thank you and regards, :)