Marriage in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Marriage in Dubai

Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 21:56

Hello,

So my husband and I got married this past June in America (he's British I'm American). Because of the time frame we were unable to get our marriage license attested and all the other necessary things needed to put me on a spousal visa here. It all seems like a lot of work and very time consuming to get me on a visa. What I want to know is would it be easier just to get married here as well. What would we need to do in order to have the marriage recognized. Will it be easier, quicker, less costly? Any help will be much appreciated. :biggrin:

Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 19:39
Sorry am I missing something here?? Why do you want to get married again if your original marriage is perfectly legal. Majority of the expat ladies out here have had to go through the process of having eveything authorised, attested and dear know what else. It just seems that you are making this harder than it already is, there are a number of companies who will do all this for you from start to finish. My DH left me a week after we were married!!! and I had around four weeks to turn everything else around. I set the certifiacte off to Milton Keynes to start with and then left the rest up to a company. It arrived here in plenty of time for me to get my visa without even having to do a visa run.
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 19:14
you could check with american or british embassy as the other person mentioned to see if they can marry you - many embassies here don't. Even if they do, you still need to go through the painful process of attesting your certificate since its issued by foreign government. And getting married in Dubai courts is out of question unless you are both muslim.
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 12:23
Getting married here would be difficult of you don't have a residence visa. However you could check with the American consulate and the British consulate to see what the fastest way would be and what papers they require from you to get married here without having a residence visa already. It sounds like you started the authentication process but didn't finish it for using the marriage licence internationally. It sounds like it is only authenticated by the Secretary of state in california. After that step you would need to get it authenticated by the department of state in Washington dc. Followed by the uae embassy in Washington dc. Then once the document is in the uae you would need to get the marriage certificate translated into arabic and have the ministry of foreign affairs stamp it. If all the above has been done and they are still refusing to accept the document go speak to someone in charge as there is a problem that needs their attention.
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 21:51
SisterScott, we have a marriage license from San Diego, California. Flat500, Thank you for your reply. Its very helpful. It does seem the easiest thing to do will be to get everything attested. Thank you all for your replies.
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 14:34
We are a British/ American couple who were married in Dubai and we still needed to get everything attested. We found that the only practical way to do this was to to use a company. So my advice would be work with the cerificicate you have and let the experts sort it out.
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 14:10
It looks like you will have to go through the attestation process from the beginning. True, it has to go through a chain of command, from start to finish. I second authexperts and you can pay for expedited service. As far as getting married here, I dont know but I've heard it too requires a lot of paperwork, medical exams, etc.
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 12:58
So what is it that you have that proves you're married?
Latest post on 02 August 2015 - 12:51
Yes we are already married in the US. I am not looking to get everything done by a company. I am really wondering if it will just be easier to get married here as well. It takes a lot of time to get all the stamps needed, and currently we are having an issue, as we need to have the marriage license attested, but its already attested on the document by the state of California. Sadly the government here is not accepting that it is attested, and no notary in the states will attest because its already attested. It is a bit of a dilemma you see.
Latest post on 30 July 2015 - 22:43
You're already legally married in USA aren't you? The easiest and quickest way to deal with your situation would be to get your US marriage attested by an authorized company. I can recommend http://www.authxperts.com/. It will cost you a few hundred dollars but they will deal with all the paperwork in USA and send it you via FedEx. All you have to do at this end is to get the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to authorize it (at a cost).

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY