Moving back to UK next year and desperately need an 11+ tutor for my son | ExpatWoman.com

Moving back to UK next year and desperately need an 11+ tutor for my son

Latest post on 12 September 2016 - 10:11
There were examples of 11+ in a couple of UK papers a few days ago asking "Could you pass 11+?" - if anyone is interested to see what the exam is like. I failed some of the "pattern " tests. Coaching at least lets kids know what to expect and makes them more confident in the exam room. If they practice the format it can only help them. Also article said they have aim for 90% mark because it also depends on the number of places available and not on the actual mark so the very best only get places. Exams in themselves are often not "fair" anyway.
Latest post on 12 September 2016 - 00:11
Wiltshire also still has grammar schools. Currently Teresa May is wanting to open more grammar schools up and down the country. Our eldest narrowly failed his 11 plus, to the surprise of his teachers ,but this may have been partly due the fact that most of the other parents had engaged private tutors for the sole purpose of getting their kids to pass !! We didn't get the memo and I only found out about it afterwards !! lol To be honest I feel like it's a form of cheating and if your child doesn't already have the required academic levels they will struggle keeping up once they get to the school..managing to pass the 11plus is only the beginning so it's best if they do so on their own merits, in my opinion..
Latest post on 11 September 2016 - 16:40
Hi ladies, Just a reminder that sending personal information such as emails and phone numbers is not allowed on our forum. To advertise or look for a service please feel free to use our free classifieds at : http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_classifieds.aspx. EW Admin :)
Latest post on 29 July 2016 - 09:57
I've been teaching in a London prep school for the last four years and moving back to dubai next week to teach. I have taught in Dubai before too. I am very familiar with the 11 plus process and gave tutored year 5 and year 6 kids after school in preparation for common entrance and 11 plus exams. I was also head of English at my old school too. Let me know if you are still looking for a tutor :-) Hi I'm looking for a tutor for my sons. Can we please talk?
Latest post on 17 February 2016 - 07:54
Lots of places don't have 11+ - Kent does, Sussex doesn't, Hampshire doesn't, Surrey doesn't, Essex and Buckinghamshire you do. Surrey has grammar schools in both the Kingston and Sutton boroughs.
Latest post on 16 February 2016 - 18:59
Lots of places don't have 11+ - Kent does, Sussex doesn't, Hampshire doesn't, Surrey doesn't, Essex and Buckinghamshire you do. Some London Boroughs you do but otherwise most are in comprehensive system. Tests are school specific rather than an 11+ - so tutoring may be difficult if they don't have past papers. Where there are 11+entrance grammars these are usually optional extras. Don't assume grammar is better - there are some grammars with selective intake where the results are statistically much worse than those from better non selective comprehensives. I am thinking Kent coast in particular. Many comprehensives are up with the very best and results look worse because they take children of all abilities including those with special needs. Our eldest two did fine from a comprehensive - 6A's at A level, and 4A's at A level respectively. Our youngest wanted to board so went privately and will get much the same as she would have from the comprehensive - it is not necessarily the quality of teaching you are paying for.
Latest post on 25 October 2015 - 06:50
I've been teaching in a London prep school for the last four years and moving back to dubai next week to teach. I have taught in Dubai before too. I am very familiar with the 11 plus process and gave tutored year 5 and year 6 kids after school in preparation for common entrance and 11 plus exams. I was also head of English at my old school too. Let me know if you are still looking for a tutor :-) I am also looking for the same tutoring for mine sitting the 11+ next September ..... can we please talk?? Thanks
Latest post on 14 August 2015 - 00:53
Please make use of our free classifieds to offer your services as or find a tutor: http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_classifieds.aspx - thank you in advance. EW Admin
Latest post on 14 August 2015 - 00:49
I've been teaching in a London prep school for the last four years and moving back to dubai next week to teach. I have taught in Dubai before too. I am very familiar with the 11 plus process and gave tutored year 5 and year 6 kids after school in preparation for common entrance and 11 plus exams. I was also head of English at my old school too. Let me know if you are still looking for a tutor :-)
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 21:23
Hi, I am a maths teacher, can help with tutouring
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 19:39
Schools in Dubai are more than willing to,administer tne tests in Dubai but I found that the grammar schools would not allow tests to be sat abroad. Private schools will generally send tests to Dubai.
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 16:14
My son’s current school are happy to contact the schools in question. They are mostly in the Home Counties of London. Ordinarily, I would not tutor him for entrance tests but he has fallen behind and I don’t want him to miss out on a lovely school because of this. The local state schools are not that great but I will consider and apply to them too. If anyone can recommend a tutor for a few months just to get him back on track, I would really appreciate it.
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 14:09
Just a word of caution. If you are talking about 11+ for grammar school entry then I know the Midlands grammar schools will NOT let kids sit tests in Dubai. For entry in Sept 2016 they need to sit a test sept 2015 in UK. As an overseas student they can sit in UK in Jan but kids who sat in sept have priority. This is def the case for Midlands, think applications for sept 2016 had to be made last month. I guess other areas may be different. Private school entry tests can often be done in Dubai through the school. You can buy preparatory question books from WH smith in UK. As a teacher, I believe it isn't good to tutor kids for entry tests. Often the kids who are heavily tutored then find it difficult.
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 12:10
Sorry I thought you meant in the UK. Have you tried this one in Dubai http://www.carfax-dubai.ae/en/
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 10:59
Hi there, Think my post was not very clear.... We are still in Dubai and will move back next summer. In the meantime I need a Dubai based tutor to tutor my son before he sits the 11+ exams for the UK schools. He will probably sit them here via his current school....
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 10:45
Try Kip MacGrath, they have tutoring centres all over the UK, we used them when we moved back last year. They were excellent. http://kipmcgrath.co.uk
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 08:42
Just for a couple of months to tutor specifically for 11+ in the UK. Really, really need someone who knows what they are doing!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY