US citizen moving to Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

US citizen moving to Dubai

Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 20:17

Hello everyone,
I am moving to Dubai for work from California next week. With all the unknown about living in a foreign country I have lots of anxiety..Wanted to ask the US citizens if they know if as a US citizen we should contact the embassy or the consulate in UAE to register with them and let them know of the move?? Also does anyone know if there is any gatherings for the US citizens in Dubai that the consulate or the embassy puts together?

Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 15:07
SisterScott or anyone else, at what point did you need to show an authenticated US birth certificate? My husband's work said that we won't need them - just wondering when it's asked for? We had to have our marriage license attested....not birth certificate but I've heard that the birth certificate may need to be attested at some point...so far we haven't needed it to be.
Latest post on 09 September 2015 - 12:13
SisterScott or anyone else, at what point did you need to show an authenticated US birth certificate? My husband's work said that we won't need them - just wondering when it's asked for?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 05 September 2015 - 12:47
We moved to Dubai from Florida almost 4 years ago, and we love it here, probably not the first few months as we were missing family and friends, but we started exploring and checking out the amazing restaurants and the hotel life so we adapted pretty well. We have taken few trips to a couple of countries in Asia. So that's a plus. Our parents came to visit and loved it here as well. We had our baby in Dubai and everything has worked out great. As a matter of fact I personally don't want to go back home now as I feel a lot safer here, and it's safer for our child as well. We haven't really met many other americans, but we do have made new friends from all over the world and learned so much from other cultures. Overall it's been an amazing experience.
Latest post on 05 September 2015 - 05:27
On a good note, the US Consulate in Dubai now offers passport renewal, and name changes, too. Used to be that you had to send it back. There's only a 2 hour calling window during the day, and a 3 hour slot each day for appointments. When I called, it was two weeks for the next available appointment, not too bad. I think the tunraround was only 8 days. Back to other comments, I needed an attested marriage license for that (name change from old passport). I have also gone twice in the past to get extra pages. Note: 24 or 48 extra pages is the same price. Go figure! :)
Latest post on 05 September 2015 - 00:55
LOL @ humidity !! Just wait til it gets to 97 % :biggrin: Just a small point for anyone who's about to get their certificates attested, where you can it's handy to send off for copies - small price to pay for not having your precious papers covered in rubber stamps.. I don't know about the US but in the UK for a modest fee you can apply to the registering authorities for copies. As regards the AWA - I have met American ladies who have been very disappointed to find that their International organisation doesn't have a branch here any more. All we can say is that the licencing laws in the UAE are very strict and with regard to organised gatherings of expats there are a lot of rules and regulations. EW does not encourage any direct contact between members on the board because of internet safety as it is a public forum so best to take their advice and arrange to meet at one of their events. Welcome ladies :)
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 16:20
Hello BeaninDubai and welcome! We'd recommend you head out to one of our previous organised coffee mornings, they're a great place to meet fellow expats in your area and get used to being in Dubai... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_events_whats_on.aspx#SpecialEvent HTH EW Admin
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 08:45
Hello Cadoc, I too am from CA (SF specifically) and i have been here for 3 years but overseas for many more. I too would love to meet up with you and share any tips I might have. I am not a single lady but I have heaps of kids, animals and a spouse but I like to think I am still useful ;) although my newly teen daughter doesn't think so. There was an American Womens Group but it was shut down and we aren't allowed to talk about it. Not sure what will happen if we do! Leave a message if you want to meet up. would love to meet you as well..It makes me feel so much better knowing you ladies get together and share your experiences and advice newbies like me :) I dont know if it is allowed to share personal emails here?? I would like to give you ladies my email address if it is allowed.
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 08:40
Whereabouts are you moving to when you get here? I will be staying in a hotel for the first two weeks. May be at the Gloria hotel in Media city. I need to be close to work in Jumeirah.
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 08:34
Hi Cadoc welcome to Dubai! Its not everyday cali girls move here... its hard to convince them theres any better place to live! Where in cali are you coming from? Ive been here 7 years moved from orange county! If you need a meetup or any advice id be happy to help! OMG..Would love to meet..I am from OC as well !! I live in Irvine..Or I should say I used to live in Irvine. will be in Dubai next week. I will be working On Jumeirah across from the Montage Mosque ??? How would I find out where to meet the ladies from this site??
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 08:52
About walking and the weather, I actually find it much less horrible than I expected/was told! Granted I grew up in south Louisiana and came here via Egypt so hot weather is the norm for me - but my husband grew up in Abu Dhabi and warned me that it would feel like walking around in an oven lol! I actually find the heat pleasant - it feels like a dry heat with a breeze (again, granted I'm used to places with 70%+ humidity!), and whenever you start to get sweaty there's an air conditioned shop or metro or car to get into anyway! If you're from SoCal I doubt it would feel that much worse. It's nice to be out for an extended walk before 9 am and after 6pm. There are some really lovely parks!
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 01:47
You will meet a lot of American ladies at the coffee mornings and also amongst acquaintances once you get settled. Please please get your papers certified/notarized. We had to have our marriage certificate certified and it was dropped off at US embassy in Abu Dhabi and then it was mailed to DC and then back to here finally after a month or so. Annoying but it saves you time if done prior to move. edit: Just wanted to ask a question: What was your ultimate deciding factor(s) that made you & family make the move to UAE since California seems a lot better in many many MANY ways?! ;)
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 21:52
Whereabouts are you moving to when you get here?
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 00:05
Hello Cadoc, I too am from CA (SF specifically) and i have been here for 3 years but overseas for many more. I too would love to meet up with you and share any tips I might have. I am not a single lady but I have heaps of kids, animals and a spouse but I like to think I am still useful ;) although my newly teen daughter doesn't think so. There was an American Womens Group but it was shut down and we aren't allowed to talk about it. Not sure what will happen if we do! Leave a message if you want to meet up.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 18:25
Hi Cadoc welcome to Dubai! Its not everyday cali girls move here... its hard to convince them theres any better place to live! Where in cali are you coming from? Ive been here 7 years moved from orange county! If you need a meetup or any advice id be happy to help!
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:14
Thanks ladies...Well I dont have to worry about getting my marriage license attested since I am not married, however I had to get my diploma and my licenses attested for my work with Dubai health auth. and that took weeks to do!! I am happy there are other US ladies that have just moved there. I am leaving Cali next week and I am going to stay in a Hotel for the first two weeks.. Flgirl In response to your question my interests are working out, walking outdoors however I dont know if that is possible right now with the weather being so hot!!! I love going out to eat and exploring new places. I am hoping to be able to meet a lot of the ladies here and attending the monthly gatherings.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 13:10
You have to have your marriage license attested in order to get a resident visa. And the word on the street is that the US is the only embassy that will not do it locally - they make you request it alllll back home. My marriage license has to be attested by the State of Texas, The US State Department in DC, then go to the UAE embassy in Washington DC, then back to me, then to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dubai and THEN to Visa office...holy freaking moly!
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 13:49
Sisterscott is right about having the certificates attested, it certainly makes it easier if you need them. In addition to those mentioned make sure you have your qualification certificates attested too as these will be needed for your visa.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:26
I've been here one month and here are some pointers on things to do BEFORE you get here. Have your marriage license attested if you are married Have all of your birth certificates attested Scan copies of your passport, birth certificate, immunization records, marriage license, school records, etc. Get multiple passport sized photos Be prepared for things to take 3-4 weeks to get worked out.
Latest post on 29 August 2015 - 13:30
Welcome! I have just moved here from the US one week ago. I am finding the transition much easier than I had imagined. I live in the Marina and am SO happy with that choice. There was an American Women's Association here but their site seems to be shutdown. There are others groups of ways of meeting people. What are your interests?
Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 00:07
Dubai is probably one of the easiest places to move (in the Arab region) for someone who has never been. I have been here over 20 years and, compared to what it once was (and I miss), you will have no trouble fitting in. There will be a bit of an adjustment but, as pointed out, communication is no longer a real issue. Before you know it, time will have flown by and you'll be on this board helping others wondering where all the time went. Good luck.
Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 22:30
Thanks for your reply. Its nice to know that people who move there from here like living there. I am so nervous about this move since I have never lived elsewhere. I will check out the link you sent me. Hopefully there is gatherings in Dubai to meet other american citizens. :)
Latest post on 24 August 2015 - 22:00
Hi :) In 2010 we moved from Cali (Bay Area) to Egypt, and after 5 years there, we moved here to Dubai 9 days ago. Let me assure you that moving to Dubai is a much easier transition than moving to Egypt :D :D It's a city designed to host people like you: English-speaking foreigners who have a skill and can bring it here to work. It's very well-designed, comprehensible, professional and extremely safe. Pretty much everyone speaks English -- probably more so than in parts of Cali :). You'll never have trouble finding anything you need or being understood. You can enroll with the State Department: https://step.state.gov/step/

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY