Picky eater - should I put my child in nursery meal plan? | ExpatWoman.com

Picky eater - should I put my child in nursery meal plan?

Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 17:01

Hi ladies,
My 3 year old DD is a VERY picky eater. She eats a lot, but only her favourite things (pasta/eggs/oats). Getting her to try something new is a an almost impossible task, she refuses anything she hasn't eaten before, even pizza! This is for a year now.

Her nursery is offering a fixed meal plan, and I'm considering enrolling her, perhaps this will break her pickiness? I'm worried she'll just refuse the food and go hungry all day!

Any advice from other moms of picky toddlers?

Latest post on 31 May 2016 - 11:13
It depends how stubborn she is. One of my boys would try new foods rather than starve but the others would refuse a meal and not eat at all if they don't like it - they were like that in nursery and are still the same as teenagers. One of them has sensory issues, so textures of food are a big thing for him and the way they taste to him is probably different from how they would taste to me - and may well be very unpleasant. If your daughter is the type who doesn't eat and then gets whiny and lethargic, you can expect to have a few conversations with the nursery staff about it. However, it might be worth asking the nursery if you can trial the meal plan for a week or two and see how it goes rather than commit to a full term? If it gets her eating widely or even a few more foods then it's worth a try but not eating lunch for a full term would be painful for all concerned.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 22:58
Can I ask which nursery your child goes to? Looking for one also for my daughter that will have meals..
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:23
It takes a child a huge number of tries before a new taste is accepted (something daft like about 20 !!) so I think the mistake we all make is giving up offering too soon...but it's a pain when they keep refusing... Seeing other kids eating around her may make all the difference so I'd give it a try... http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/health_info/child/20033.pdf
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:11
I know the situation, my niece eats the food items only which she likes and rejects all the other .We even visited the doctor, he said that she lacks vitamins and we were asked to provide some vitamins for our picky eating child, he also insisted to provide milk supplements for her. http://goo.gl/dWEFDY
Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 18:01
You can give it a try My son is the same he is very picky he only eats certain home cooked meals. He eats well but he is very picky with textures and he will never try something new. He doesn't even eat sweets or chocolate. When he went to FS1 we didn't have the option to send food from home, his meals at school were never touched. Last year in FS2 they changed the policy and we were allowed to send food from home, but again he didn't touch it. I gave up and I started to give him a big breakfast at home then some snacks for the drive back home. But many children start to try new stuff when they see other children eating them. I'd give it a try and see how it goes
Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 17:05
Sounds bad I know, but I would enrol her and hopefully once she sees the others eating and she's feeling hungry, she'll just get on with it. Something similar helped with my grand daughter when she wouldn't eat the food provided at a party. She felt left out and hungry so by the end of the afternoon she was trying everything they provided.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY