Activities for children are expensive | ExpatWoman.com

Activities for children are expensive

Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 14:16

I want to enroll kids in some different types of activities. But everything is so expensive here. We are moderate income group and there is no complaints for that but I would really like to have proper class for swimming or abacus. Having one kid is possible but not for more. On top of that registration fees and uniforms add up, and the term fees is already very high.

I hear many parents put kids in at least one or two activities if not more. how they are able to manage it? It will cut into our savings for sure and as its not classed as necessary expense it will be cut out. I feel this way my kids at a disadvantage compared to peers.

Is there any way around this if anyone has found a cheaper class or some tips would help especially, I feel bad to even put this down but I think I may not be the only one like this. :(

Latest post on 29 August 2015 - 01:39
if your budget is on the lower side, i would seriously consider spending only on activities that my children really have an aptitude or desire for. Its incredible how many activities that children here take, it is impossible to excel in most of them, simply because they do not have the time to practice or rehearse or excercise the various skills.
Latest post on 28 August 2015 - 17:36
check out al Jalila culture center for children , they do sometimes organize free children activities , beside other activities that you have to pay for. i think they do offer discounts if you are enrolling siblings http://www.ajccc.ae
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 16:51
SevenSeconds, don't panic... there are lots of activities that happen in Dubai for children that don't cost an arm and a leg... you just need to look around for them... some suggestions include the following: Al Nasr Leisureland in Oud Metha http://www.alnasrll.com/rates.php Swimming classes, for example, if a group session is as cheap as 50dhs per session They also offer karate, tennis, squash, ice skating, etc. Or the Body & Soul Health Club in Al Ghusais http://www.bodyandsoulhealthclub.com/ They also do swimming and other activities... they also have a promotion going on now for summer for membership for the whole family...
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 16:15
Unless they are very poor at swimming, do they need extra lessons? As school will offer swimming as part of the curriculum and most school lessons are pretty good. As Slivstet as said, just bundle their bikes in the car and if you don't have outdoor space take them to the beach or the Nad Al Sheba cycling track or for a swim to some of the public pools (Mamzar, Mushrif Park) or the indoor Shk Hamdan Swimming Centre where it's less than 20 AED for a swim.
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 14:43
Yes activities are another mortgage! Shop around; if they want to do swimming for example, check a few different companies, as prices do vary. Take advantage of afterschool activities the school organise; as they are mostly free. Get them in to cheap things you can do together without having to pay for a lesson each time, running and bike rides are good.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY