Will I ever get used to this | ExpatWoman.com

Will I ever get used to this

Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 15:30

1. Being indoors most of the time. Really, the whole life here is built around the malls. Even if you want to take a short walk, the city is not built for pedestrians and the sidewalk will most probably just end in the middle of nowhere. Usually very dusty nowhere.
2. Construction. When I look out of my window, I see 12 cranes around. No matter where you go, a crane will be an inevitable part of your view. Will they ever finish at least something?
3. Unprofessionalism. On little example: after getting a few calls a day about how he should apply for a credit card, my DH finally gave up and agreed. 1,5 months later after calling the bank every other day and being referred to some different person all the time, he was rejected without any explanations. Meanwhile, a colleague of his with a much smaller salary applied with the same bank (Emirates NBD) two weeks after my DH and successfully got his card. That’s just a little example, but the general trend is that no one is responsible for anything. And I suspect that changing banks will not really change anything, as it’s same people working everywhere.
4. Overpriced everything. Really, a restaurant puts out on a table a plastic bottle of 1.75 dhs water and charges 18 dhs for it. Without even bothering to pour that water in at least a nice glass bottle. And clothes… I just don’t get why clothes made somewhere in Bangladesh cost more here that in the UK. Isn’t Bangladesh closer to here?
5. Rent. Where else in the world would they want a whole year payment upfront? Also when your first DEWA bill comes, there is an interesting 5% your total rent charge you have to pay them just because you are a rentee. I understand in our home countries a landlord paying some tax when he rents his property out as it’s his income, but why should a rentee pay that tax here?
6. A strange feeling of not belonging to yourself. We are where my DH job is and there is some vague career prospects, and hopes for a better future, blah blah blah. Anyone out there got a promotion and a raise while being in Dubai? Anyone is enjoying the life here while managing to save at least a quarter of their salary?
I am really sorry that I sound so negative, but this is a cry for help! Does anyone have some advice on how to deal with all this?

Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:10
It takes time to settle into a new country, build up a social circle and find the interests that get you out and about. Dubai has so many nationalities and cultures to get used to, this is what makes it interesting. Service standards can be frustrating but you get used to it. If you are constantly getting calls from the bank ask them to remove your number from the marketing database and they wont call you again. Also don't give stores your mobile number or you will be bombarded with texts. The weather will start to cool down in the next few weeks and you will be able to enjoy the great outdoors. Have a look at the 'Meetup' groups to make friends and take part in new hobbies. As a developing Country the construction will be ongoing, but I have recently been on vacation in Europe and there are many construction sites there too, they are just concentrated into a smaller area here.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 10:29
You know it won't be forever. Take it as one experience and think about all the fun you will have remembering the different & peculiar Dubai times once you have moved on somewhere else. While you're here, try experiencing things you can't do back home. It will be a lot easier once the weather improves.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 10:24
Thanks ladies for all your wonderful suggestions and tips. We arrived in a really wrong time of the year- in June, but having put all my frustrations in writing made me realize that all I need to do is wait a few more weeks, which is not that bad. Being very outdoorsy, I find it not easy to stay inside most of the time, so I just look forward to a cooler season. My social life is getting better thanks to EW breakfasts, the credit card disappointment is gone, as we realized we don't really need one, I am working on my second book, since I have to do something while being inside :) I am planning to explore the city more, and to just try accept some facts about it. I miss home, and my husband really would like to go back (he feels worse than me here, and I just have to stay positive for him most of the time, except when I complain on EW forum) but realistically there is no future for us there, so we should just embrace our new life in Dubai. It probably will never be just love for me, but love-hate I can easily handle.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 17:23
1. It's summer. It's too hot to walk outside, that's why we have many air conditioned malls here. it's a necessity. In winter, you will be able to spend more time outdoors, and there are plenty of places to walk and let kids play. 2. UAE is 43 years old. We live in a country that is rapidly developing. Any big city will have construction. Amsterdam has been for many years, and it has no shortage of existing buildings either. This construction industry gives a lot of people jobs. From construction workers to consultants. 3. I never receive calls for credit cards. And why would you have to give in anyway? 4. Dubai can be more expensive compared to some countries. But not when you're from a Euro country. Even UK is pricey, regardless of what people from the UK say. When I am there my money evaporates. Always look at prices before ordering. I only order local water under a certain price, unless I want sparkling. Eating out is cheap in my opinion but I don't eat in restaurants that serve alcohol. And that makes a huge difference. 5. Many landlords are still under the impression people get their rent covered by companies that pay in 1 cheque. And with this being a place where people come and go, they want to cover themselves I guess. I haven't paid in 1 cheque though. Negotiate. 6. Saving money depends on many factors: Your salary package (what does the company pay for), how do you want to live, where do you want to live, what car you want to drive and whether you shop at Waitrose or Carrefour. And if you have kids, school fees can really take up a lot of your income. Dubai is really what you make of it. Understandably it's not particularly pleasant with the heat, and that's why many people leave in summer to escape it. But I had 5 out of 10 days rain in Holland. Also keeps me indoors unless there were as many indoor malls as there are here lol. Cheer up, things will get better. Have you been able to meet with other ladies? Have you tried the coffee mornings EW arranges?
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 17:12
Hi OP, In spite of not originally being from the UAE, I’ve lived in Dubai all my life so this really is HOME for me… and I’m going to try and make you feel better about your time here… - Whereabouts do you live? I’m assuming with the amount of construction around you that you’re probably in newer parts of Dubai. The area around you is developing and very soon will have amazing infrastructure that will help you get around much easier! The whole life here is not built around malls… there’s lots of non-mall things to do. Yes, the days are hot… but the evenings are gorgeous and there are lots of free/cheap things to do in town:  Take an abra ride  Walk by the beach (there’s 7km of track for if you’d like to exercise of just walk)  Walk through the old souq area which is open air and always filled with curious finds  Visit the many museums in Sharjah (did you know that there are around 14… and the entrance fees are all under 10dhs!)  Visit the public library and go through the ‘English section’  Volunteer with programs such as Volunteer in Dubai which will get Take an abra ride  Walk by the beach (there’s 7km of track for if you’d like to exercise of just walk)  Walk through the old souq area which is open air and always filled with curious finds  Visit the many museums in Sharjah (did you know that there are around 14… and the entrance fees are all under 10dhs!)  Visit the public library and go through the ‘English section’  Volunteer with programs such as Volunteer in Dubai which will get you out and about and meeting people and all for a worthwhile cause - Being a developing country they will always be constructing something new or wonderful… which is great because that’s whats fueling the many jobs we expats have here… so for me personally I hope they never stop constructing! - I think the biggest reason why your husband was not eligible for a credit card could be because he hasn’t been in the country long enough… most banks would require at least a 3 month salary certificate/bank statement before being able to issue one… perhaps his colleague has been around longer? But yes, I agree that the professionalism and customer service levels in this country need lots of improvement. The government has now created many channels through which you can report back on your customer services feedback and more often than not you will get a favourable response! - Wow 18dhs a bottle you’ve obviously been eating at restaurants inside ‘hotels’ which have surcharges for everything. My suggestion would be to find more restaurants that are out of the hotel network! I’d love to suggest some if you let me know what sort of cuisines suit you fancy. Also, keep a look out for deals… get an Entertainer book for fine dining and BBOGOF offers… once you get your EmiratesNBD card you’ll be eligible to 20% discounts in many restaurants! - Clothes are expensive here if you compare the standard UK/US brands with locally available brands… you want cheaper priced clothes? Shop at the likes of Splash, Iconic, Max, etc. Or do what I do… go to the typical high street stores, try on the clothes and then buy the same clothes online from the parent store! Even with getting it couriered here still works out cheaper! Yes clothes made in GAP are mostly from Bangladesh… but it also means that you are paying for the designs being sent to Bangladesh, getting tailored there, then getting sent back to the US for packaging/marketing before it gets sent to country of sale (here)! - Rent, yes absolute madness! I have no idea when this whole culture of upfront payments started… to be honest while growing up here we always just paid upfront by cheque (but then I lived in accommodation that was only AED 9,000 for a whole year… sigh good old days!) The culture probably developed because most companies would pay for expat accommodation and it often came as a single payment? I’m not sure of this but just guessing! Anyway, it’s all part and parcel of being a rentee! - I think that feeling of ‘not belonging’ will soon pass once you make some friends. Start going to gym, expatwoman coffee mornings, craft classes or simply start socializing a bit more with people in your DH’s office… doesn’t have to be over a brunch sort of events… you could actually just invite people home for a home cooked simple meal… but trust me once you make friends you will ‘belong’! I’ve been here all my life and I know a lot of people here… every single person I know has grown in their careers and prospered… and also managed to save money. Some more than others (but probably because they lead more frugal lives). Why not try and use the location to your advantage. Being here you have access to visit some lovely places for really cheap – India? Sri Lanka? Maldives? Greece? Cyprus? Jordan? Far East? Eid holidays coming up… 5 whole days… plan a getaway!
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 16:12
Innon, in 6 very short weeks you'll absolutely love Dubai. You'll be outdoors, barbecuing, off road in the desert, camping, eating on your balcony or in your garden every evening, picnics on the beach & your social calendar will mean you are so busy every weekend you won't have time to see the cranes! You've arrived in the worst possible month, things can only get better. Next summer you'll be glad of the malls for some respite and a movie - for now take the next few weeks to get your bearings driving around and figuring out how to get to some of the green spaces the previous posters have mentioned - so you are all set for the cooler weather. Check out dubaicalendar.ae for some fun things to do that won't break the bank (concerts etc) and remember that dubai caters to the top salaried scale and the bottom too, there are SOOO many delicious restaurants where you can come out with change from 50 AED for 2 - just get out and about and find them! Things can only get better now! :)
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 16:05
I agree with most parts, apart from the indoor part (except the hot summer months ). Where do you live? There are areas you easily can walk and spend a lot of times outdoor. October -May, I rarely put a foot in the mall, apart from the cinema and grocery shopping. We are able to live here because of the construction (DH work), so I worry for the day it stops. There are restaurants that are very reasonable, try some Lebanese or Indian restaurants that aren't in a mall or hotel.
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 15:44
Hi Innon I gather your newer here or are really missing home? 1. Try heading to mamzar park, zaabeel park, kite beach, the walk jbr, etc. There are a lot of nice places to go for a walk that dont involve the mall! My husband and i go for walks a few times a week down the street and get a tea and walk home. 2. Construction.. well were in a quickly developing country. can't do much about it sorry. 3. I find this super annoying as well, but every once and a while just have to laugh it off. Every country has different business styles. With some people you have to yell and then suddenly you get your way. Others you have to beg. Treat it like a game ahaha. 4. to avoid overpriced clothes try shopping at companies that have middle east designers such as ICONIC. 5. for rent, it sucks i agree. 6. I have lots of friends who got promotions and raises, but many people i know had to straight up tell their boss they wanted a raise or promotion. keep you head up.
Latest post on 27 August 2015 - 15:41
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I agree with every single point. I used to love the UAE back when I didn't live in Dubai. Then I moved here and realized how different this city is and that they're always progressing. Everything is overpriced and every move you make you need to pay for it. I miss the simplicity of everything when everything was genuine and people were real. Some people I've met here are really shallow with their lives revolving around brunches or which material thing to buy next just to be able to flaunt it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY