Been here a month, and... | ExpatWoman.com

Been here a month, and...

Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:32

I have backed into a parked car.
Found a mouse in our villa.
Our kitchen has exploded from incorrectly installed gas lines by the builder/contractors.
I have gained 10 pounds.
My husband got food poisoning.

Seriously - when does the madness end! We have loved being here but things have been extremely difficult!

Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 20:16
Much better y'all! ;) Thank you all so much!
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 19:37
I hope you have settled now sisterscott and things are going your way finally :)
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 19:07
Sounds like you've settled in just fine, SS. ;) Think of all the stories you'll have to share with your visitors!
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 15:12
You are nearly at the end of the first month hump so you can start smiling now! We have just moved back to Dxb (coincidentally to JVC) after being away for 3 years and I know exactly how you feel. Kids and my visa still in process after 2 months, thus negating a live in maid. Doh! Arrived the day before Eid from Muscat with overheated dog into a brand new villa which had not had air one running for 3 months. Maids room on second floor was the only one working so sent dog there but had to turn on a master tap (which was obviously off for a reason) only to create a leak in the master bathroom thru the concrete floor above. 5 weeks of my only holiday consisted of being up at 7 am with no internet or TV waiting for workers not to show up and sitting around all day for them. The day they finally finished everything, I got a call from work asking me to start the next day, ergo no holiday! Leave home at 6:30am and cannot use a gate which takes me 2 minutes to get out as they gave it roped off (even though I have the access card for it and they do not have security in either guard house) but have to drive to the other side of the compound and then back to the opposite side to get to street 1 to exit. Oh, and if I could drive under or over Al Khail to get to Al Khamilla street it would take 4 minutes to get to work rather than the 10 minutes it takes me to go up one street, u-turn twice to come back to where I started. You will make friends soon and everything will get better (not normal but better). Let me know if you need a break and a catch up one Thursday afternoon... Feeling much better these days! Settling in makes me really calm. haha. OMG the JVC entry/exit issue is just insane. INSANE. That new mall opened and it takes just as long to get there as it does to drive to MOE. Let's get together! Maybe I need to attend one of these coffee meetups.
Latest post on 08 September 2015 - 21:24
You are nearly at the end of the first month hump so you can start smiling now! We have just moved back to Dxb (coincidentally to JVC) after being away for 3 years and I know exactly how you feel. Kids and my visa still in process after 2 months, thus negating a live in maid. Doh! Arrived the day before Eid from Muscat with overheated dog into a brand new villa which had not had air one running for 3 months. Maids room on second floor was the only one working so sent dog there but had to turn on a master tap (which was obviously off for a reason) only to create a leak in the master bathroom thru the concrete floor above. 5 weeks of my only holiday consisted of being up at 7 am with no internet or TV waiting for workers not to show up and sitting around all day for them. The day they finally finished everything, I got a call from work asking me to start the next day, ergo no holiday! Leave home at 6:30am and cannot use a gate which takes me 2 minutes to get out as they gave it roped off (even though I have the access card for it and they do not have security in either guard house) but have to drive to the other side of the compound and then back to the opposite side to get to street 1 to exit. Oh, and if I could drive under or over Al Khail to get to Al Khamilla street it would take 4 minutes to get to work rather than the 10 minutes it takes me to go up one street, u-turn twice to come back to where I started. You will make friends soon and everything will get better (not normal but better). Let me know if you need a break and a catch up one Thursday afternoon...
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 08:16
Well this makes me feel MUCH less crazy! Driving shouldn't be an issue to me as I'm American! hahaha...except for the roundabouts the rest of the traffic and driving I am totally used to. I've just got to get my MOJO back! Thanks for letting me whine and I'm glad you guys have come out the other side of it! I really do love all of the things this place has to offer - I just need some friends and for someone to give me a break from mommy hood long enough to get a mani/pedi and haircut. haha you're American and you used the word 'roundabout' - seems like you're "assimilating" My husband is American and he says 'circle' He used to say 'pacifier' but now says 'dummy' SCORE! That's funny, way to spot! I am guessing sisterscott is from TX or OK judging by her wording. Where are you from, SS? hahaha! Beebers I'm from Texas! I too was thinking what is a roundabout !! lol OMG moving there next week I dont know whether to laugh at what I am reading here that has happened to everyone or to CANCEL my ticket and just stay at home here in Cali !!! lol May God look after me..I am hoping to meet you ladies as I do not know anyone in Dubai :(((
Latest post on 04 September 2015 - 05:24
"y'all" and "I needed a xanax" gave it away LOL I'm an honorary Texan, lived there many years and probably will again one day :)
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 22:23
Well this makes me feel MUCH less crazy! Driving shouldn't be an issue to me as I'm American! hahaha...except for the roundabouts the rest of the traffic and driving I am totally used to. I've just got to get my MOJO back! Thanks for letting me whine and I'm glad you guys have come out the other side of it! I really do love all of the things this place has to offer - I just need some friends and for someone to give me a break from mommy hood long enough to get a mani/pedi and haircut. haha you're American and you used the word 'roundabout' - seems like you're "assimilating" My husband is American and he says 'circle' He used to say 'pacifier' but now says 'dummy' SCORE! That's funny, way to spot! I am guessing sisterscott is from TX or OK judging by her wording. Where are you from, SS? hahaha! Beebers I'm from Texas!
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 08:59
Reading everyone's' experiences it seems being new to a place increases the possibility of things going wrong. In my first month, a taxi rear ended my brand new car the day I got it. When I first tried the electric oven it exploded, blowing me physically right across the kitchen, I called the agent and he suggested I had turned it on wrongly! Then it rained so hard the living room turned into a paddling pool as the balcony doors did not close to the floor, all my new furniture was ruined, a few days later the building caught fire in the middle of the night leaving us sitting on the pavement watching the place turn into an inferno, what was left of our things from the flood was lost to smoke damage! But after that nothing too drastic happened in terms of house and belongings disasters for the next few decades!
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 07:13
Well this makes me feel MUCH less crazy! Driving shouldn't be an issue to me as I'm American! hahaha...except for the roundabouts the rest of the traffic and driving I am totally used to. I've just got to get my MOJO back! Thanks for letting me whine and I'm glad you guys have come out the other side of it! I really do love all of the things this place has to offer - I just need some friends and for someone to give me a break from mommy hood long enough to get a mani/pedi and haircut. haha you're American and you used the word 'roundabout' - seems like you're "assimilating" My husband is American and he says 'circle' He used to say 'pacifier' but now says 'dummy' SCORE! That's funny, way to spot! I am guessing sisterscott is from TX or OK judging by her wording. Where are you from, SS?
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 00:23
we landed here in 2008, I also had food poisoning..... things do go wrong anywhere in the world.... its just bad luck...we live away from our home countries, and everything can be different, ( im from the UK, and think thats place can be crazy at times). If you are new here, it takes time to get it together..... I have an awful crease mark on my forehead from frowning over time.... take it all in you stride and at times just deep breathe.
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 21:54
Well this makes me feel MUCH less crazy! Driving shouldn't be an issue to me as I'm American! hahaha...except for the roundabouts the rest of the traffic and driving I am totally used to. I've just got to get my MOJO back! Thanks for letting me whine and I'm glad you guys have come out the other side of it! I really do love all of the things this place has to offer - I just need some friends and for someone to give me a break from mommy hood long enough to get a mani/pedi and haircut. haha you're American and you used the word 'roundabout' - seems like you're "assimilating" My husband is American and he says 'circle' He used to say 'pacifier' but now says 'dummy' SCORE!
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 21:50
Well this makes me feel MUCH less crazy! Driving shouldn't be an issue to me as I'm American! hahaha...except for the roundabouts the rest of the traffic and driving I am totally used to. I've just got to get my MOJO back! Thanks for letting me whine and I'm glad you guys have come out the other side of it! I really do love all of the things this place has to offer - I just need some friends and for someone to give me a break from mommy hood long enough to get a mani/pedi and haircut. haha
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 09:46
I think its hard here for everyone at first. Many people have said to me that 'the first year is the hardest'. I am in month 9 now, my first 5 months were crazy and I spent most of it angry! Now I have settled down a lot and got used to the 'inshallah' way of life. Although I did drive up the wrong side of the road yesterday and had to reverse back onto a congested road and then speed through a red light....Driving takes some getting used to!
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 09:31
It gets easier! In my first week I managed to drive into the side of a bus! I had never driven on the right hand side of the road! Then my husband went to work away leaving me with our 4 year old daughter in this terrifying and unfamiliar place. The school announced they weren't ready to open so I had 2 extra weeks to try and fill my daughter's days. Then I got lost trying to get her to her school induction and ended up 2 1/2 hours late! I ended up hiring a taxi to guide me there! Since then I have dealt with ant invasions, cockroach infestations, learning the heat can actually melt pictures on T shirts (and can undo glue on anything in the sun!), A/C that suddenly packs in, extractor fans that blow sewage smells INTO the bathrooms, floor drains that back up... BUT In two years I have encountered no end of friendly people, discovered the two amazing contrasts to this place - from glam hotels and restaurants to the rich historical culture of Dubai in the old part of town. I've learned the only way to be happy is to laugh about everything.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 10:34
Welcome to Dubai! Things will get easier. To me your stories are just 'life'. I have reversed every brand new car i have ever owned into either signposts or trees within 3 weeks of owning them! Hire cars or second hand cars seem to be OK! I don't think anything has ever exploded on me apart from the water dispenser. But I have had several apartments and houses where water comes pouring through the ceiling both here and in my home country. I managed to put on 2 KGs in weight last weekend! .... hard work at the gym has got rid of it now though.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:33
Moving next week...May be I should bring with me some stomach meds !!! lol
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 13:05
My husband and I have said that hopefully the craziness will end and that we will laugh about this later...but sheesh! The backing into someone - in my defense the vehicle we were given to drive has a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE blind spot. A car was parked on the street where normally no cars are parked. I backed right into him. Luckily it wasn't a Ferrari, but a Honda....so I had to go to the policy station. I live in JVC and our villa is nice but it's newly built and I've heard of this phrase "Dubai Engineering". It's funny to me that no one has been in the least surprised that our stove/oven blew up! It blew up y'all. Like baseboard flew off, the grate hit the ventahood (extractor) and it singed the hair off my husbands arms and face. Terrible experience! I just really needed a xanax after it happened. I mostly love it here but these few things that have never happened to me have happened in one short month. Plus I quit nursing the baby...and Aunt Flo came back after 2 years and that has sucked....and I just really need someone to come get drunk with me one day! hahahaha
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 18:02
Hmm. I just call that "Tuesday" Kidding but can sympathize. it will pass. and makes for great stories and a laugh over a glass or two, once the initial vent is over :)
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 16:29
oh dear!!! at least you've all experienced all sorts of different services so you know who to call next time? <clutching at straws>
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 14:33
I have been here going on week 2 now. On my 3rd day some one put a cigarette down the trash chute and caught the bin on fire. They didn't know that straight away so they evacuated the whole building as all they knew was that there was a fire somewhere. It made for a very interesting day! I can't say much else exciting has really happened thus far. I think I am actually adjusting well all things considered. I guess the hardest thing for me is discovering that the simple (but NECESSARY) stomach medicine I have to take costs nearly 10 times more here. That was enough to cause some serious stomach upset. Welcome and hope things improve! :o)
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 13:17
It sounds like a crazy month. Things will get better. You have the wonderful winter weather to look forward too. I can't wait till its desert season again. Your house sounds really scary what neighbourhood did you move to?
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:48
maybe the worst has already passed??!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY