My bl00dy gardener... | ExpatWoman.com

My bl00dy gardener...

Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 19:38

I have just got back from holiday to find that all my plants are dead. I pointed out to my gardener (before I left) that they were dying and suggested he move them into the shade (to which he said would not make any difference). I'm so p*ssed off, I loved my plants.

Can anyone tell me how to keep plants alive for next year please, do I put them in the shade or not? Any other tips will be welcome x

Latest post on 07 May 2016 - 19:52
This thread is one of many that MK68 has dug up (pun intended !! lol) seemingly for the sole purpose of discrediting a gardening company. She is obviously not aware of the strict cyber laws here regarding defamation. The posts have been here all weekend but really, the gardener's name should have been removed...
Latest post on 06 May 2016 - 11:18
This is an old thread from last year that has been bumped
Latest post on 05 May 2016 - 22:02
Hi MollyMooMoo Sorry to hear about your plants. As I only have a small patio, I thought four potted plants will do with some garden furniture. When we came back from leave recently, the Frangipani plant, now almost 2.5m tall was dropping its leaves and we thought it had died because of the heat! Of course not. I forgot that it's deciduous and the leaves drop and now its back to normal and flowering. I insert water retention gel into the soil as deep as I can into all the pots, and barks were previously on the top soil. Actually, one of the plants looked very untidy so I gave it a bald hair cut before I left on holiday and when I came back, all the leaves had appeared. I do hope and am sure some of your plants will revive after a while. Good luck. x
Latest post on 05 May 2016 - 17:10
MollyMooMoo I just came across this discussion and you're absolutely correct! Has nothing to do with the hot weather. Your gardener did a lousy job! Mine also but I knew it and had to pay a lady to come every evening and water my whole garden every night. (In addition to his watering in the morning) That was the only way for keeping my plants alive and it really worked. All the grass and plants survived! First of all who ever is coming to water our gardener is far from being a gardener. If you rely on them solely "unfortunately" you'll risk loosing your plants again. I'm currently looking for a "gardener" myself and I live at the lakes. If anyone can recommend one please let me know! Thanks
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 17:50
In fairness to the OP..............and her "gardener". both are handicapped by their mutual delusion that gardeners exist in Dubai. With a very, very few exceptions, these chaps are general labourers, ok for sweeping, hosing and clearing up leaves. The only successful way to garden in Dubai is to read up on it and either give very firm but simple instructions or do it oneself. My gardener is brilliant, I've been using him for years. He knows his stuff about plants and growing them in this climate, I was so pleased to find him!
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 17:03
How in earth can a thread asking advice on how to keep plants alive next summer turn into this? Its hilarious....... Thanks to the ladies who have given me helpful advice.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 16:32
In fairness to the OP..............and her "gardener". both are handicapped by their mutual delusion that gardeners exist in Dubai. With a very, very few exceptions, these chaps are general labourers, ok for sweeping, hosing and clearing up leaves. The only successful way to garden in Dubai is to read up on it and either give very firm but simple instructions or do it oneself.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 16:22
A post that is titled is "My ****** gardener" is a whinge!
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 15:57
For the first time ever my outdoor potted Christmas tree has survived the summer, hurrah! It normally gives up the ghost around late June. I was here most of the summer, didn't think it was too bad compared to previous years. ETA Sorry MMM, that's not very helpful for your question! Definitely shade, the more shade my plants are in during summer the better they last. All day direct sun frazzles them to pieces.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 14:13
Please stop whinging! It has been the hottest summer ever and I have been here 20 years so I know. I have heard a lot of people say their gardens have died while they have been away and I think it because of the severe heat. Think for a moment about these poor guys working outside in 50 degree temperatures. Has it really been the "hottest summer ever?" Or is it only anecdotal? I may have only been here for 8 years and never for the entire summer but June and the last two weeks seemed no different from previous summers and DH himself even said the summer wasn't too bad, and he was here for the majority of it. It's always very hot every summer. It always feels very hot well into October and we always get complaints on here! As for gardeners, I've been through four gardeners before I found one that worked well. You do have to be extremely explicit in your instructions and make your anger known if they do something wrong.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:50
Sam I've had so many gardeners who over water to the point where the soil gets a top layer of green mold and mushrooms start sprouting!! Molly here's a tip to find out if your plants are totally gone or may have a chance of coming back to life. Scratch a layer off the wooden stem with your nail (try it in several places) if it's green and moist under the plant is still alive.. If it's dry and woody everywhere it's most likely gone forever. Some people prune the plants back to make them grow more healthy and full, but I'm not sure when or how that's supposed to be done. For flowers it's before they season they bloom. Also you could buy some organic fertiliser from the garden centre (they have one package that looks really good) and just fertilise the whole garden. I have no idea what plant supplements actually work but from time to time I try new products, I'm not sure what is effective and what's not but I feel good after I feed my plants supplements. They have an iron liquid for plants that have yellowing leaves, the bottle lasts forever.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:42
Try and keep watering morning and evening just in case. As I said we were ready to bin everything until we were told to persevere
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:36
Scaralex I am not whinging, I am asking for advice, jez.....no wonder why I rarely post on here anymore. Thanks for all the positive comments on here.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 21:17
We were about to throw some of our plants out as under any other circumstances they would have been very definitely dead. Our friends gardener saw them and said NO you must leave and still water. Lo and behold, they are at long last showing some signs of re growth. I agree with most of the others, this has been a very long, hot summer and some plants which under normal circumstances would have lasted, have given up the ghost.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 19:24
We've also had more plants than usual die this year. It really is very difficult to keep anything alive. Watering during the day means instant evaporation and watering in the morning and evening is not enough. What to do? Don't be too hard on him, he probably wasn't having too pleasant a summer either!
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 18:37
Please stop whinging! It has been the hottest summer ever and I have been here 20 years so I know. I have heard a lot of people say their gardens have died while they have been away and I think it because of the severe heat. Think for a moment about these poor guys working outside in 50 degree temperatures.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 18:25
It seems to be so touch and go here, haha, and obviously depends greatly on the species of plant whether it will thrive in the sun or the shade. My dear gardener is currently intent on killing all my outdoor potted plants with over-watering! I think his handbook goes a little something like this: If the plant is wilting, add more water If the plant is turning brown, add more water If excess water is sitting in the saucer, add more water If water is bubbling over the top of the pot, add more water If half the potting mix is washed away due to previous over-watering, add more water If in doubt, add more water! :confused:
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 14:48
thanks Cowboy, I thought as much.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 19:59
I keep mine in the shade. And give extra water in the summer. Survival rate is 70% Some things such as tomatoes and seasonal flowers never make it. But mostly everything else survives. Some plants shed their leaves and look twiggy but still alive. Id say the majority are back to normal by October. Your gardener should have respected your wishes and even if they all didn't make it at least they would have had a better chance.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY