Car Insurance for 18yr old Daughter | ExpatWoman.com

Car Insurance for 18yr old Daughter

Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 15:50

Hi Ladies

I have an 18yr old daughter who has a UK driving licence, can anyone shed light on how to insure her to drive our car, we asked our current insurers who said they do not insure drivers as young as this. I was hoping we wouldn't have to take out a separate policy for her.

In all honesty I'd rather she didn't drive here at all but hey, she knows best :cry:

Thanks x

Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 15:45
Get her a uae driver license, you don't need to insure her if she drives your car after obtaining a uae driving license. Your insurer will cover her automatically , but in case of an accident if she's at fault you will have to pay 10% of your car fixing cost in addition to the excess and that's it. All of us (me & my brothers) drove here as minors, one of my brothers is only 21, he's been driving for 3 yrs now, he had his share of minor accidents. All the cars he uses are registered under my name, one is insured by AXA & 2 are with RSA , claims were straight forward. All those under 25 or those with a driving license less than 1 year have to pay the 10%. Just keep in mind that her driving license should be renewed yearly until she turns 21 then she gets a 10 yrs driving license. Hi thanks for all the replies. I checked with RSA and this info widkedangel is exactly right..... I now have to decide if I can pluck up the courage to let her out there :\:
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 15:12
Don't forget to check your special conditions on the policy though, as ours says the following:- 2. Young and new drivers All regular drivers below the age of 25 or with less than 12 months driving experience need to be declared on the proposal form and named on the policy schedule. As well as the 10% extra to pay
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 14:55
Just to add the policy says "driver & passengers" insurance, it doesn't say car owner. As a minor she cannot insure her own car easily but as she's not the owner of the car, she falls under the "driver" clause in any policy.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 14:49
Get her a uae driver license, you don't need to insure her if she drives your car after obtaining a uae driving license. Your insurer will cover her automatically , but in case of an accident if she's at fault you will have to pay 10% of your car fixing cost in addition to the excess and that's it. All of us (me & my brothers) drove here as minors, one of my brothers is only 21, he's been driving for 3 yrs now, he had his share of minor accidents. All the cars he uses are registered under my name, one is insured by AXA & 2 are with RSA , claims were straight forward. All those under 25 or those with a driving license less than 1 year have to pay the 10%. Just keep in mind that her driving license should be renewed yearly until she turns 21 then she gets a 10 yrs driving license.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 10:39
There is an insurance brokers here called insurance market. ae http://insurancemarket.ae/ They have been really helpful with me and knew what they were talking about. Maybe try ringing them and see if they can assist.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 16:09
I found the thread, thanks for that. My issue is really with the age, has anyone had experience with insuring their teenager to drive their car on a UAE licence converted from own country licence? Thx Going by what you've said then, if she has a UAE license, you may have to ring round a few companies and see if any of them will insure her. We're with Zurich and they're pretty good.
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 16:04
I found the thread, thanks for that. My issue is really with the age, has anyone had experience with insuring their teenager to drive their car on a UAE licence converted from own country licence? Thx
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 15:59
thanks for that, I will look, I spend ages on this site sometimes and haven't noticed it before, trust me to not look just before I post :biggrin: I have had her license converted though so she is a full driver if that makes sense....
Latest post on 31 August 2015 - 15:56
If you search for a previous thread this was discussed on detail just yesterday. Most insurance companies will not insure anyone without a UAE license in a private car. They are only allowed to drive a hire car on their UK license. I have a feeling that if you try and go down that route your daughter will either be too young, or not held her license long enough. These reasons may help you stop her driving out here :) My 30 year old DD thought about it, but once she had been here a day or so quickly changed her mind.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY