Who pays - landlord or tenant? | ExpatWoman.com

Who pays - landlord or tenant?

Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 00:26

Hi, the underground water tank in our villa leaked for some time without us realising and as a result we have ended up with a 9000 AED bill. Two problems were identified (a) the float valve was not switching off the water supply once the tank was full and (b) the overflow alarm was faulty and did not alert us to the problem. In this case, who is responsible for paying the water bill, landlord or tenant? The villa is by Nakheel in JVT - is there any warranty on it that would enable us to recover some of the costs from Nakheel? Thanks a lot!

Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 10:25
If your name is on the Dewa bill you will unfortunately have to pay that bill. You should be able to read your meter, I know some that do it weekly to detect any unusual consumption early on. The landlord should pay for the repair of the tank and if the villa is under warranty they get the money back.
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 09:41
Tenant would be responsible for the dewa water bill. Landlord would typically be responsible for fixing the water tank floater (even thou it's a really cheap part) and the overflow alarm.
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 09:27
I hate to say this, but it will probably be you. Underground leaks are a common problem in JVT and most people don't realise they have one until the DEWA bill comes in. All of the villas there are now out of their 12 month warranty period so you won't be able to recover any costs from Nakheel.
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 08:34
What does your tenancy contract say? I think minor repairs are usually paid for by the tenant, but major repairs are paid for by the landlord.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY