Potentially moving to the UAE and a bit scared... | ExpatWoman.com

Potentially moving to the UAE and a bit scared...

Latest post on 16 September 2015 - 13:47
Life here is what you make it and as others have said, many friends and family will be queuing to visit and you can always have your mum here for a few weeks when you have the second child. If you are a sociable person you will make new friends in no time, everyone here is in the same boat and as expats can build up a circle of friends really quickly, especially as you have children as you will meet other mums through various kids groups. The UAE is safe, OK the traffic can be a bit mental but the weather is great (apart from the two hot summer months) and you will be able to spend a lot of time outdoors with the children. One thing to think about though would be the cost of having a second child here. Maternity cover and child birth can be very expensive so if your husband is getting medical cover with his job then check to see if you and the children will be covered and if maternity is covered too. You have nothing to lose by moving here and trying it. If you don't like it or would prefer to be back closer to your family you can always move back. This is the second time we have lived here (we don't have children so moving around is easier) but last time my husband really didn't settle and wanted to go home to the UK, After 4 years of wet windy weather he decided that Dubai was a good place to live after all and we came back,
Latest post on 16 September 2015 - 00:27
I've been here over 7 years, no young children thou. There is a brilliant network of mums and kids. Im not saying it's easy to move, you need to want to try it. Yes I can at times real abit lonely, but its not to often, we have means to contact family as and when. The UAE is very safe, much safer than places in the UK. I love my life here.... As I hear their are brilliant hospitals to give birth in. I have found hospitals are far better here and we get looked after much quicker. So no complaints at all. Hope it helps.
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 00:18
Hello:). I just thought I'd tell you that I had exactly the same feelings before. I have a 2 years old son and would like to have the 2nd someday and also I had to give up my career to follow my husband's job change. Traffic here is mad in my opinion but it is pretty safe like others said I think. Also thousands of expats have given a birth here:) Things are still not settled for me yet and starting new life in a different country is a bit tough but I'm trying to be positive. It's funny that the conversations with people here always start with "Where are you from?". This place is that international. You can meet so many kinds of people. How many people can get this opportunity? You will be very far from your family, but hey, you have the internet! Also you can always go back home if you really want to. Life is short, you should enjoy! ;)
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 22:59
Thanks ladies, that's really helpful. It's a big decision but I do have a bit of time to think about it. From your replies and those that I received on another forum, I definitely feel better about potentially having a baby there. I've just got to get over how my parents will react... ?
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 16:45
Hi OP, The UAE is very, very pro breast feeding so please don't worry about that. The government maternity hospitals in particular are very pro-natural birth and very much encourage ladies to BF so that may be one option for you to consider for No2. Being away from family is never easy and is something we all have to deal with as expats. Many spend their summers 'at home' to see as much family as possible and if nothing else, you'll have a great holiday destination and will soon find you have friends and family queuing up to visit! It's not easy but it is just part of life as an Expat. Moving here doesn't have to be the end of your career so don't view it like that. It can also be the start of different options for you, maybe doing something you hadn't thought about doing before. Or just having the opportunity to be at home with your children. Life in the UAE is very much what you make it, if you put the effort in you'll soon have friends from every corner of the world, and it really is a brilliant place for children to grow up. Nobody can pursuade you though, it has to be something you want to try, or you'll never settle or be happy here. Good luck with your decision :)
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 15:02
I have lived here for 9 years and feel far safer here than I do in the UK The Police and other security agencies are on the ball when it comes to any dodgy activity and you will read in the local news here that anyone engaging in that sort of behavior will be imprisoned or deported with immediate effect.Some hospitals do have British midwives :-) so no need to worry about that. As for family being so far away, many of my friends had their Mums over for the first few months to help with the babies and many ladies have maids. Breast feeding is actively encouraged and some of the malls have lovely rooms for feeding mums. Some of the ladies toilets here are far more superior than those at home My ex Husband and many of my friends at home are military and we have lived in places where we had to be very security aware yes there is crime in the UAE however I have never witnessed or been a victim of it. The powers that be in the UAE make sure we are all safe
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 14:30
Hi there, I'm not strictly speaking an Expat, well not yet anyway. My other half is negotiating a job offer at the moment and I have really mixed feelings about moving. I'm excited by the prospect of living in such a diverse and multicultural place, but I'm scared for a number of reasons. Secondly, expanding our family. We already have one child under 2 and I'm hoping to get pregnant again within the next two years. I'm worried about giving birth so far from home. I have no idea what the system is like there and wouldn't have family and friends to help me when the baby came (mind you I currently live 3 hours away from my family anyway- it's just easier to get in a car than on a plane). I'm also worried about things like breastfeeding...I know that the UAE government have tried to encourage it, but its hard enough in public places (even without a cover that the baby will try and pull off). Thirdly, I'm scared about how my family will take it, My mum flips out whenever I go anywhere remotely exciting, despite the fact that I'm an adult and whilst I know I've got to make my own choices, I really don't want to make life harder for my parents. I think the hardest thing is that I really don't know what I want. This is a very exciting opportunity for my husband and ever since we got married, my career has gone by the wayside... I've made sacrifices so that he can progress for the good of the family. I've been happy doing this and I know I want an interesting life, but I also want to feel secure. I know this is a bit of a wingey rant and not really a question, but I'd be keen to hear from other people in the same boat, or people who have been living in the UAE for some time and could offer me advice on the concerns listed above. Many thanks :-)