Jumeirah Islands | ExpatWoman.com

Jumeirah Islands

Latest post on 09 September 2015 - 23:01

Hello please can anyone share knowledge/insight into life in Jumeirah Islands and also Meadows (5-8). Are these good areas? What are the positives/negative?
I have searched but can't seem to find anything recent.
Many thanks
Deb

Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 17:49
We moved to JI 3 years ago and agree the villas are tired and do have maintenance issues. We have a fairly good landlord but end up paying for any maintenance. Water does stop suddenly and it seems to happen every week and then is ok. Our cluster is due to the main pump not working. Guys come out to fix the problem but it always seems to be a quick fix. I suppose we just get on with it because we look past the problems. I do love the paths to walk around and the landscaping is supposed to be getting better. Access in and out is quick and easy and it's peaceful. But I couldn't recommend moving in unless the villa has been upgraded. Also AC and DEWA are expensive. So would I move out? No because it has become home but I do think there are better options.
Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 11:51
For JI it really depends which cluster, and even which villa, I think. We were there 4 years and only twice had water cut off (once with plenty of warning from DEWA) and another time because of our own pump failing. But other people in other clusters seemed to have water problems every day. Overall EMAAR (who run Meadows) do a much better job than Nakheel. I agree about having kids in JI - even though there is so much nice open space I never felt comfortable having my kids play outside much because of the way a lot of people drive. Meadows is nice but much more built-up than JI. I think Meadows 5 good because you're closer to facilities like Town Centre (shopping centre). Not sure about 6-8...
Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 11:02
Thank you so much for the valuable information regarding Jumeirah Islands. Very much appreciated. Please can you advise how often does the water stop and for how long? I can imagine that would be a huge problem!! Crazy how that can happen in this kind of development! Once again thank you all x
Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 16:48
If you have kids I would say the Meadows or Jumeirah Park maybe a better option. Jumeirah Islands is lovely but I really don't think it's very kid friendly. I would never allow my kids to play outside in the cluster as people would whizz around it. This goes for the main road too (regardless that Nakheel but speed bumps in a few years ago). Also, as Nat has mentioned, the water to the villa's are randomly cut off for no reason without warning. I can't tell you how many times that happened when I was in the shower with a head full of shampoo. The villas are considered quite old now so things do go wrong more frequently than a newer build. Having said the above the positives are; there are 2 nice play parks, tennis courts, a clubhouse (licensed with a gym and swimming pool). Lovely to walk / cycle around the main lake. Close to Spinneys, SZR, Ibn Battuta Mall and the Marina. Plus the skyline at night from the club house is amazing. Security used to be cr*p but they have just brought in a new company who are very good. If your heart is set on JI, ask to join their FB page (NOT Nakheels one). It is purely for the residents who live there and you will get honest feedback. Hope this helps and best of luck x
Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 12:36
Friend of mine moved there, lasted a year and moved out!!
Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 12:10
there is lot of issues in JI, lot of cut of water, also if the landlord have not maintain the house, there is lot of problems. I stayed 6 years there. Most of house have not been maintained. also people have huge bill of Dewa due to leak from pool or irrigation system that you can not see until you see the bill....
Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 11:27
Have you looked at Jumeirah Park? It is adjacent to Jumeirah Island and the villas are newer and also really nice, but not really as grand as the Jumeirah Island villas, but definitely similar or even better standard than the Meadows. Jumeirah Park also have a good sized community centre. The prices are better value as well.
Latest post on 10 September 2015 - 08:50
Jumeirah Islands - built by Nakheel - slightly newer villas - prices start at 300K. Every villa has their own private pool. There are lots of paths to walk and some children's area but to use the community swimming pool you have to join Jumeirah Islands Club. Two access routes in and out. The security gates are a bit hit and miss (not that crime is really a problem here!) Meadows 5 - 8 - built by Emaar - slightly older villas and a more mix of sizes and prices. It is possible to get villa's for 250 plus. Most villa's don't have a private pool but the communities do have very good community pools which are free to use and have a life guard on duty all the time. Security at every community entrance and they are good at giving directions to your villa etc. Both communities are good and I suggest you go and see the style of villa's and decide what you like - I think it will come down to personal preference. If you an find an upgraded villa in Meadows you will get a newer kitchen and possibly bathroom - these are generally the areas that let Meadows down. I have friends in both communities who love where they live. For me, the community facilities in Meadows clinch it but we are all different and it will depend on what your priorities are. Edited to add - both of these areas are very good areas to live in!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY