summer camp tragedy - sprinkle your kindness | ExpatWoman.com

summer camp tragedy - sprinkle your kindness

Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 12:03

End of July 2015, every parent’s worst nightmare happened to a Belgian couple in Dubai, they lost their (only) son Benjamin due to a tragic incident during Summer camp. Don’t ask me what happened because I don’t know. I don’t know the family (I met the mom once during an event) but the story touched me very deeply and reason I share with you is explained below.

Benjamin’s parents now have to face the cruel unimaginable reality of continuing their lives without their precious sweet little boy Benjamin.

Anne, Benjamin’s mother, has been a Dubai blogger for a couple of years on Lifestyle & Fashion, and has very recently started blogging again, as writing (also about her pain) helps her in coping. It is amazing what a warm and positive person she is.

I would like to ask all EW readers a favour, and visit Anne’s blog website and her Instagram/Facebook page, and either follow her posts, like her posts, send her a kind message/words of encouragement, give her a virtual hug, whatever you feel like doing. We will not be able to give her Benjamin back but we can share the kindness with her that comes from our heart.

As you can read in her blog posts, Anne likes to spread the message, and build a network of support so feel free to share her posts via your social network. Also if you know grieving parents who lost their child, please forward the links to them too.

[b]Blog link[/b]: [url=http://www.lifestyle-oasis.com/]link[/url]
[b]Dedicated Instagram page for Benjamin:[/b][url= https://instagram.com/whereigoyougo]link[/url]
[b]Instagram Lifestyle Oasis blog[/b]:[url= https://instagram.com/lifestyle_oasis/]link[/url]
[b]Facebook page[/b]: [url=https://www.facebook.com/lifestyleoa]link[/url]

Many many thanks, warm regards.

Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:47
What puzzles me is why someone felt the need to drag up this old post. It's sad enough as it is, but it happened over a year ago. Let the family go on with their lives and try live in peace. Stop guessing about circumstances.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 10:07
why are people commenting when they are saying "i don't know the full story".. ? One of the men on trial made heroic efforts to try to save the boy while others looked on, largely because of the Good Samaritan law here... There was a lot of discussion about this case on a facebook group and if I remember correctly it was pointed out that the mother has closed her blog and no longer posts online. There are very few people if anyone that knows the full story and yet you comment and telling not to comment if not knowing the full story. LOL !! I was quoting the only thing I do know - as told by a number of people whose children were there...But that's all I know.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 08:20
why are people commenting when they are saying "i don't know the full story".. ? One of the men on trial made heroic efforts to try to save the boy while others looked on, largely because of the Good Samaritan law here... There was a lot of discussion about this case on a facebook group and if I remember correctly it was pointed out that the mother has closed her blog and no longer posts online. There are very few people if anyone that knows the full story and yet you comment and telling not to comment if not knowing the full story.
Latest post on 30 May 2016 - 00:48
why are people commenting when they are saying "i don't know the full story".. ? One of the men on trial made heroic efforts to try to save the boy while others looked on, largely because of the Good Samaritan law here... There was a lot of discussion about this case on a facebook group and if I remember correctly it was pointed out that the mother has closed her blog and no longer posts online.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 12:19
thanks Silvstet. For the 2 children that you know that died during sports lessons, can you elaborate on that? something we as parents can learn from it, should pay attention to? I don't really want to write any details, as both had Dubai parents and their might be people on this forum that recognise them. All I can say 1 was during supervised sport and it was a freak accident that could not have been prevented, apart from not doing the exercise and the other one was sport related on holiday, also supervised. The only thing I learned from this is all activities involves risks and find the best instructors you can get, I'm sometimes over protective, which I don't feel good about either.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 11:02
thanks Silvstet. For the 2 children that you know that died during sports lessons, can you elaborate on that? something we as parents can learn from it, should pay attention to?
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 09:41
I know the mother has not been on social media for 6 months because she needs time to grief. But leaving her a message on one of her links will still be good. It is just horrible, and it keeps crossing my mind. The painful thing is, it does not come into the news here (very tiny small article in Gulfnews), and the organization is still operational as to what I read. I read somewhere that the court for this case was held yesterday. For those who want to read more, this is the only thing I could find online: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7102427/Brits-in-DFubai-blood-money-threat.html Terrible, so heartbreaking, so painful. Absolutely heart breaking, but we also don't know exactly what happened. I unfortunately know 2 children that has died in freak accidents related to sport, during supervision. We don't know if it was neglect or if it was something that couldn't be prevented. I feel for those guys that worked there as well, the way they are exposed in the newspaper and to be asked for £ 20,000 each as blood money. I would think more blame should be on the company than the staff. Obviously don't know the full story. My children are soon at that age that they could do similar summer jobs, I would be really reluctant to let them if they can be personally responsible for what might be an accident. I am shocked by this reply. How could drowning not be their fault. Is it the 5 year old boy who is to blame himself? If you are not making people accountable for what they are responsible for, how cruel is this world. And yes the company is the most responsible, I agree, but the staff present there as well. And you should indeed be reluctant, young unexperienced staff should not be supervising and organizing sports events for vulnerable little children. These guys were in their 20th and 30th and seemed to be experienced sport coaches, I don't know enough about the story, but accidents can happen even during the best supervision, I will leave it at this as I find this incident absolutely horrific and don't want to ruin this thread, as I mentioned it's also a worry as a resident in UAE, that you could be charged blood money etc. May Ben rest in peace and I'll not write anything more here, as its truly destroying anyone with children knowing something like this can happen to anyone of us, also as I mentioned I know two other children that has died in very tragic circumstances and they were both during sport lessons :-(
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 09:26
I know the mother has not been on social media for 6 months because she needs time to grief. But leaving her a message on one of her links will still be good. It is just horrible, and it keeps crossing my mind. The painful thing is, it does not come into the news here (very tiny small article in Gulfnews), and the organization is still operational as to what I read. I read somewhere that the court for this case was held yesterday. For those who want to read more, this is the only thing I could find online: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7102427/Brits-in-DFubai-blood-money-threat.html Terrible, so heartbreaking, so painful. Absolutely heart breaking, but we also don't know exactly what happened. I unfortunately know 2 children that has died in freak accidents related to sport, during supervision. We don't know if it was neglect or if it was something that couldn't be prevented. I feel for those guys that worked there as well, the way they are exposed in the newspaper and to be asked for £ 20,000 each as blood money. I would think more blame should be on the company than the staff. Obviously don't know the full story. My children are soon at that age that they could do similar summer jobs, I would be really reluctant to let them if they can be personally responsible for what might be an accident. I am shocked by this reply. How could drowning not be their fault. Is it the 5 year old boy who is to blame himself? If you are not making people accountable for what they are responsible for, how cruel is this world. And yes the company is the most responsible, I agree, but the staff present there as well. And you should indeed be reluctant, young unexperienced staff should not be supervising and organizing sports events for vulnerable little children.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 15:05
I know the mother has not been on social media for 6 months because she needs time to grief. But leaving her a message on one of her links will still be good. It is just horrible, and it keeps crossing my mind. The painful thing is, it does not come into the news here (very tiny small article in Gulfnews), and the organization is still operational as to what I read. I read somewhere that the court for this case was held yesterday. For those who want to read more, this is the only thing I could find online: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7102427/Brits-in-DFubai-blood-money-threat.html Terrible, so heartbreaking, so painful. Absolutely heart breaking, but we also don't know exactly what happened. I unfortunately know 2 children that has died in freak accidents related to sport, during supervision. We don't know if it was neglect or if it was something that couldn't be prevented. I feel for those guys that worked there as well, the way they are exposed in the newspaper and to be asked for £ 20,000 each as blood money. I would think more blame should be on the company than the staff. Obviously don't know the full story. My children are soon at that age that they could do similar summer jobs, I would be really reluctant to let them if they can be personally responsible for what might be an accident.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 11:27
oh my god. this is so heartbreaking, horrible beyond words and comprehension. visited this woman's blog and nearly had a nervous breakdown myself. dignity, grace, and courage in the face of such unspeakable loss - she is an inspiration in the most heinous of circumstances. this company is still operating!!! they hold swim classes and other sports classes, including babyswim -- will NEVER give them my business and will warn others against the same. i wish this woman some measure of peace in her grief.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 09:30
I remember when this happened last year. It really made me rethink sending my children to summer camps - at least where swimming is available. They were going to one - not the one in the story - and it was so chaotic, I wouldn't have been surprised if something had happened there. It was staffed by filipinas and some young college-age kids and there were more than 15 young kids to each staff member ... a disaster waiting to happen. If there is one lesson to take away, be very, very careful where you send your kids this summer.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 09:17
I know the mother has not been on social media for 6 months because she needs time to grief. But leaving her a message on one of her links will still be good. It is just horrible, and it keeps crossing my mind. The painful thing is, it does not come into the news here (very tiny small article in Gulfnews), and the organization is still operational as to what I read. I read somewhere that the court for this case was held yesterday. For those who want to read more, this is the only thing I could find online: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7102427/Brits-in-DFubai-blood-money-threat.html Terrible, so heartbreaking, so painful.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 08:06
I got access denied?
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 07:56
I'm deeply ashamed to say that I don't think i'd be able to read this just yet...I can only marvel at the strength of this lady and wish I had half as much. I'm afraid to even open the link. What a coward :(
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 04:21
What an awful thing to happen. No parent should have to go through such plain. What sort of incident was it so others can be cautious?
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 20:31
What a beautiful boy. God bless Anne and her husband. Wishing them the strength to cope with their loss.
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 19:05
How terrible, and she is being so very brave. I hope she has lots of support and friends around her to get her through the difficult times ahead. thinking of her. x
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 18:36
I have just read her blogs and I have to say she is one brave, dignified and special lady. I am not a religious person, but, if I were to imagine what an angel looked like her son, Benjamin, would be it. Good bless her and her husband.
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 17:37
Awful, her pages are full of dignity and grace for having suffered the worst possible loss. I was here all summer and this was not reported anywhere is that normal?
Latest post on 12 September 2015 - 12:18
My God, incredibly painful. What a beautiful soul she is. perspective Thank you for sharing

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY