Malarone: where can I find it? | ExpatWoman.com

Malarone: where can I find it?

Latest post on 04 October 2015 - 11:06

Hi dear all,

I am looking for malarone or any other medicine against malaria different from Lariam (Mafloquine). I don't like Lariam as it has lot of bad effects on the liver, but at the Health Centre it is the only one they have available. Do you know if it is possible to find Malarone in commercial pharmacies in Doha, and if it is possible to buy it without medical prescription?

thanks
Eleonor

Latest post on 06 October 2015 - 06:09
I had heard that Malarone is now available in Qatar -- but I'm not sure where.It was not available in the country the last time I needed Malaria prophylaxis (2011). An alternative that is definitely available in Doha is doxycycline-- which has its pluses and minuses. I think you might need a prescription for it. It is an antibiotic. It makes you more susceptible to sunburn and you need to take it for almost a month once you're back - but it doesn't make you crazy. I have taken it a couple of times when traveling to Africa and I could not get Malarone, and did not want to take Lariam. More info about it: http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/Doxycycline.pdf