Bounced rental cheque | ExpatWoman.com

Bounced rental cheque

Latest post on 04 October 2015 - 18:23

Hello, if a tenant's rental cheque bounces due to insufficient funds in their account, what is the course of action from a landlord's point of view. They say the funds are in their account now but as they are busy have not gone to the bank to sort it. What can my Landlord friend do about this.

Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 01:16
If none of the above works, she can tell the tenant it's a criminal offence to bounce a check, which can mean jail time. That's a bit harsh as first action, it can easily happen with anyone that he forgets to transfer founds by date. op: the check needs to be collected at the branch where it was deposited, by you personally. When the tenant confirms the funds, you can deposit the very same check again. There is no bank fee for you. The tenant will be charged by a few hundred dirhams extra for the bounced check, as bank fee. It happened to me personally, on both sides , had my checks bounced and had checks bounced as beneficiary too. (But I am not a criminal, lol)
Latest post on 04 October 2015 - 20:32
If none of the above works, she can tell the tenant it's a criminal offence to bounce a check, which can mean jail time.
Latest post on 04 October 2015 - 18:55
Your friend should be able to collect the returned cheque from her bank. I'm not sure if she can deposit it again, but the bank should be able to tell her. She may need to get a new cheque from the tenants and if they are not co-operative she can remind them about the eviction due to non payment clause in the law, as well as the bounced cheque law. The tenants will also have incurred a bounced cheque fee with their bank.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY