Has anyone brought a Filipino maid here on a work visa recently? | ExpatWoman.com

Has anyone brought a Filipino maid here on a work visa recently?

Latest post on 17 July 2016 - 15:35
I did this a few months ago and it was a nightmare. As the maid has worked in the Gulf before, the Philippines Authorities will not just let her leave to Singapore or HK, she needs to have a sponsor there ie a family member. We tried it without the sponsorship and she was turned back at immigration. So the process which worked went something like this: her sister went to the Phils embassy in HK and filled out a form for her to visit her in HK. A copy of this was given to the maid who was then allowed to leave the country to HK. I fedexed the UAE tourist visa to a hotel I had booked in HK, along with a copy of the HK DXB ticket. The maid also needs to show she has sufficient funds to leave the country, so we sent money Western Union, and she bought her own flight ticket with this money, as it was getting complicated trying to arrange it with a travel agent in Manila.It was very challenging, long winded and expensive, but it worked out. Note once you get her into Dubai on a tourist visa, she has to leave the country to change the status to a work visa (day trip to Muscat). Anyway, hope this helps! Hi BigA Thanks for your detailed reply! So you sent her money for her to buy her own ticket from PH to HK, and you purchased her ticket for HK to DXB and sent it to her? I'm trying to bring my nanny over through Thailand - will she need to show money at Philippines airport to spend in Thailand? Then I will buy her ticket for TH to DXB once I know she's cleared Philippines immigration. Do you think that will work?
Latest post on 17 July 2016 - 14:32
I did this a few months ago and it was a nightmare. As the maid has worked in the Gulf before, the Philippines Authorities will not just let her leave to Singapore or HK, she needs to have a sponsor there ie a family member. We tried it without the sponsorship and she was turned back at immigration. So the process which worked went something like this: her sister went to the Phils embassy in HK and filled out a form for her to visit her in HK. A copy of this was given to the maid who was then allowed to leave the country to HK. I fedexed the UAE tourist visa to a hotel I had booked in HK, along with a copy of the HK DXB ticket. The maid also needs to show she has sufficient funds to leave the country, so we sent money Western Union, and she bought her own flight ticket with this money, as it was getting complicated trying to arrange it with a travel agent in Manila.It was very challenging, long winded and expensive, but it worked out. Note once you get her into Dubai on a tourist visa, she has to leave the country to change the status to a work visa (day trip to Muscat). Anyway, hope this helps!
Latest post on 05 July 2016 - 03:31
Hi Ladies, I was in the same boat two months ago. As a Filipina, even I found the entire process a bit complicated. I eventually opted for an agency. I would recommend maids.ae. We just came in to their office, interviewed 7-8 ladies, chose one and had her in our home the next day. You do have to pay the downpayment on the same day.
Latest post on 03 July 2016 - 15:34
bump! I would like to know too. Our maid is coming as a company amploye, all her papaers are ready, and the consulate here is giving us this agnecy nonsense. We are contemplating getting her here via Thailand or Singapore, but dont want to waste money on air tickets unless it will work?
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 09:22
Hi Have you found a solution to your situation?Even i have plans to bring a maid from philipines and would like to know if you have succeeded in bringing yours.Pls update here if anything.
Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 15:38
Yes that's what we're thinking of doing but just wanted to know if someone has done that recently? I guess I book a return ticket to Hong Kong. Then a one way to Dubai from HK. Do they need to show a hotel booking too in HK? And what happens when they come here and need to register with the Philippine embassy - is there any issue then?
Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 13:49
Try flying her to dubai via Hong Kong (Cathay pacific)
Latest post on 05 October 2015 - 13:35
I was not aware just how difficult the process is until now. The maid is in the Philippines - she has been in Dubai before but working for another family. We already have her work visa (spent the AED 5000+ on that) as we could not bring her on a visit visa. Now when she went to get her OEC over there, they tell her we have to go to the Philippines consulate here to get approval etc and now when I started looking into it more carefully, I realize that it's virtually impossible. I believe earlier you could do it through and agency but the one I contacted now have said that there is nothing they can do. I believe the only possible way is if she can get a 'tourist' visa to another country like Singapore or Malaysia etc and then she flies from there to Dubai on her Dubai visa. Has anyone successfully managed to do this recently? Any tips/guidance would be much appreciated!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY