Why does it not feel right | ExpatWoman.com

Why does it not feel right

Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 10:35

Today I got a maid for the first time ever, because the windows in the house got really dirty and also I don't feel like cleaning this week. The girl barely speaks English, and I am sitting at my desk (working from home today) and just can't stop feeling bad for her. What is happening in her home country that she felt like coming over here and slaving for a few dirhams a day? It just doesn't feel right for some reason, besides my husband and I have been doing the cleaning ourselves and it never takes us more than 2 hours a week to make everything look nice.

Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 08:23
Our maid washes our cars and windows, and yes, she needs a step to do it. She's perfectly happy doing it, because I pay her well and treat her good. Berberis, I do agree though, with agency maids it's different. They get paid **** for long days. So in your case just be nice to her and give her a good tip. But in the end always remember that she's here because she cannot provide for her family if she wasn't. Sad, but true, so all we can do is treat them with respect and pay them decent salary (or tip).
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 22:21
They are here to earn money to send home to their families. For many of them, they are in good homes, have good conditions, and are well paid, in comparison to what they could be earning in their home countries. (I realize there re those who do suffer t the hands of cruel employers but I don't really think this is the norm). For they most part, they are happy to have employment, I think - everything is relative. We should not always view things from a western perspective.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 17:07
It is sad sometimes to think the sacrifices they make (kids grow up back home without them etc)- so I make sure to tip well and be nice. I always feel for the poor take out food motorcycle drivers - driving in heat, fumes and dangerous conditions. I always tip them very well. It doesn't bankrupt me and it makes a huge difference for them! I know a number of people who keep their longtime maids long after they need them, or even if they have gotten older and not as able to complete all of their previous duties- it is the decent thing to do- as they need a job and likely a whole community back home relies on them. A 50 + maid with a bad back is going to go home with little money saved and a whole lot of expectations and work thrown at them more often then not. Giving them a bit of job security for a while is a nice thing to do. They don't have the security networks a lot of us do.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 16:18
Most of these ladies are happy to have a job and an income. I feel bad for the ladies that come to dubai believing they will work in a hospital as a midwife or nurse and discover the agency in their country has sent them to another county to work in a house or in a cleaning company.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 12:17
Our maid cleans our cars once a week. No ladder involved though sarahlou ;) When she is not working or if they need a mid week wash I do it. No big deal, I grew up in a house where all chores car washing, mowing the lawn, cooking, cleaning etc were divided equally with no gender differences. I'm raising my children the same. Everyone has different expectations. Whilst our maid cleans our cars I wouldn't dream of asking her to change one of my children's nappies or clean up their sick. That's in my job description, not hers :\:
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 12:08
Yesterday itself I saw a mid-aged house maid cleaning a car. It doesn't feel right and, like you said, is heart breaking. I guess the best that people can do is to treat them with all the respect and give them the recognition that they deserve. take care xxx I am happy seeing mid aged and older maids working here, as unfortunately many send them back when they get a bit older. My neighbour have had their maid for 15 years, now when the kids has moved she is still with them, never seen her clean a car, but surely it's not so bad letting your maid clean the car sometimes if there isn't much else to do.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 11:45
Well said Cheeky Monkey. Berberis, if you feel bad treat her with respect and pay her a decent tip if she does a good job. I don't feel sorry for my maid. I empathise with her being away from her family (as I was at her age) and respect her for working hard and supporting her entire family on the salary she earns.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 11:35
Why do you feel bad for "these women"? If anything you should admire them and feel happy for them. They really aren't any different from any other expat leaving their home country to better their life. What is the difference between me washing my 4x4 or doing my windows and paying another woman to do it? Give them credit for goodness sake, they are not vapid weaklings! Yes, it may be a job that we wouldn't want to do (but who hasn't had one of those and stuck at it because they needed the money?!). But EVERY job has dignity and every job needs doing, be it CEO or road sweeper so there is an opening for cleaners / maids / home helps whatever you choose to call them. These ladies have chosen to work at whatever they can do to make money rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves. Isn't that what we all do? I look at teachers and wonder how the heck they can do that job. I'd rather clean... horses for courses and all that! ;) Some are educated, some are not, some speak excellent English, others none at all. Maybe some could (and maybe deserve) a better job. I have heard of people all over the world with diplomas and degrees doing jobs far beneath them. That maybe unfair, but life isn't fair is it? I do think that they are often treated badly, that is not nice, but you can be treated badly and underpaid in any job or any relationship... These women aren't moaning about that, they are just getting on with it. They don't want your pity. All you can do is treat every person kindly, pay them a fair wage and you've done your bit.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 11:14
Yesterday itself I saw a mid-aged house maid cleaning a car. It doesn't feel right and, like you said, is heart breaking. I guess the best that people can do is to treat them with all the respect and give them the recognition that they deserve. take care xxx I dislike seeing the maids standing on a ladder cleaning the big 4x4s. I know I will get shot down for this but I think the man of the house should be doing that or take it to the carwash.
Latest post on 07 October 2015 - 10:52
Yesterday itself I saw a mid-aged house maid cleaning a car. It doesn't feel right and, like you said, is heart breaking. I guess the best that people can do is to treat them with all the respect and give them the recognition that they deserve. take care xxx

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY