Time off in lieu | ExpatWoman.com

Time off in lieu

Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 15:38

Is is usual/unusual in the UAE for employees to get time off in lieu when they travel outside the region on a Friday, hence missing half their Dubai weekend? This situation must be very common given the difference in weekends between this region and other parts of the world.
Hubby is travelling next week over the Islamic New year holiday and Friday, so missing out on two days off (not for anything like the first time).
It seems to be totally accepted at his place of work that there is no time off in lieu, but I am not amused!

Is there a norm in the region or does it depend totally on the company/organisation concerned?

Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 16:49
At DH's level it's expected that he will make these sacrifices. If he needs to travel on the weekend, such as not flying back from overseas meetings until Saturday and still going into the office the next day, that's the way it rolls. The compensation is, well, his compensation. It's normal at senior level. But DH does make sure that more junior staff underneath him don't lose too many weekend/holiday days due to work and is always checking that they get their time in lieu.
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 16:25
I'm sure it's totally normal, especially at senior levels. Just tough on families!
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 15:50
I'm sure it's company policy. Dh never gets a day of when he's travelling (or working) on public holidays or in weekends.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY