New to Dubai and feeling awful! | ExpatWoman.com

New to Dubai and feeling awful!

Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 10:15

Hi ladies

I moved to Dubai with my fiance about a month ago and for the last month we both have been feeling exhausted. I, in particular, have zero energy to exercise (I used to do it every day while back in London!) and just feel nauseous most of the time, as if I am having motion sickness. I can't work out if it's the heat, the aircon and, most importantly, if it will pass! I also got terrible breakouts all over my face but I understand that is quite common (as is hair loss) when you first move here.

I am really worried that my body is unable to adjust to the heat... I have wanted to move to Dubai for ages and now that I have it seems to be going horribly wrong :(

Anyone had similar experiences when they first came here and did it get better?

Thanks!

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 14:27
So OP... Does any of the above posts make sense to you or did you just give up and went back to London?
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 12:36
Heat, humidity and dehydration can play havoc with your body. The humidity often causes breakouts with me so I have to alter my skin care regime and use different products when it is super humid. heat and humidity make your feel lethargic but it is best to try and exercise a little and you will soon adapt and start o feel better. The motion sickness feeling could be down to dehydration, make sure you drink lots of water and if you are exercising then make sure you put re-hydration salts or electrolyte tablets in your drink as you loose salts really quickly here. Maybe have a medical with a doctor just to be sure nothing else is going on.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 09:55
Hi. I had the same fatigue and acne when I first moved here. it takes a while for your skin to readjust, and you may have to try some different skincare brands to find what works best for you here. Back home my skin was sooooo dry, and here its combination. Make sure you drink a lot of water, and I actually advise you drink the lowest sodium water possible. Al Ain is a good brand. About 8 months after moving here I got kidney stones and was told by the doctor it was a combination of too much coffee, too much coffee at restaurants/cafe's as they use tap water that is "double filtered", but the sodium all gets through the filters! Fake beers are advisable to ensure you dont get kidney stones and to replace sodium and sugars in your body. For your AC problem, your AC machine may be dirty inside and blowing infected air at you. Try getting it cleaned, and also crack open a window a little to let in cleaner air. This way you have some circulation. Don't worry, things will look up soon!
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 06:04
Although the motion sickness symptoms definitely sound pregnancy related, for those just feeling fatigued, please remember to not only drink water but to also replace their salt and other minerals as this climate drains you of these. My parents who moved here in the 70s were prescribed salt tablets daily as were most expats in those days but this is now generally forgotten and the more water you drink, actually the more fatigued you will feel as you flush the remaining salts out of your system. Drinking Masafi which has a higher sodium content will help or drinks like Pocari sweat. Hope you feel better soon!
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 00:37
Sorry you are feeling so ****, I think personally what made me feel terrible when first getting here was just being so overwhelmed with the move. Depression and anxiety can come in many forms and effect you in different ways. I also struggled with the heat but you do get used to it trust me. Have you any friends or family here or it is just you and your partner? Maybe see of you can join a group and find a workout buddy so you can motivate each other.
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 20:17
Air pollution might also be a big factor in how you feel. I usually check the air quality before exercising outdoor and it's been particularly bad over the past 6 months... You can check the aqicn website to get a generally up-to-date & realistic snapshot for the air quality (focus on the sensors that measure the pm2.5 concentration as it's the most health damaging) aqicn.org/city/uae/dubai/zabeel-park
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 12:51
Make sure you drink plenty of bottled water(preferably spring or mineral rather than filtered drinking water) Dehydration is a common problem with new arrivals (including myself) many of your symptoms could be attributed to that. The tap water is said to be drinkable but I wouldn't drink it unless I didn't have an alternative and bottled water is cheap and easily available. If you are sure you aren't pregnant you could get medication easily from the pharmacy to assist with the dizziness and motion sickness that then causes the symptoms of nausea.
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 10:10
Welcome to the sandpit! ;-) I can understand what you are going through as I went through the same as soon as my feet hit the ground here. Constant fatigue, lack of energy, zest for life zero, all I felt like doing was eat and sleep. Then a thyroid diagnosis made me realize it wasn't really 100% Dubai that created this feeling in me but a genuine disorder as well. Now, that's not to say the constant AC, awful air quality or just simply the lack of fresh air did not have an affect on me. You can either fight it or do something about it. After fighting it for 2-3 years I finally gave in and chose the latter. Wish I had done it earlier. There are tons of things to do in Dubai and the surrounding Emirates, it will take time for you to find where you belong, to create a tight circle of friends, to build up a routine. Once you accomplish all those, it will become so much easier. I experienced breakouts as well, no hair fall though and rather interestingly both my hair and nail grow like crazy here! Nonetheless, we have invested in some water filters for our shower (MoE sells them) and cleaned the tap filters everywhere, also stopped drinking the tap water as it was too full of metals that can cause mood swings, fatigue, etc... Respiratory illnesses are of abundance here, in my family we all had pneumonia within 6-12 months of arriving (plus bronchitis, throat infection, sinusitis, asthma) so as a precaution we take vitamins now, try to eat healthily, pay attention to personal hygiene a bit more (always sanitize hands after travelling on the Metro, etc) and touch wood, been illness free for a couple of years now. You can swim, cycle, run, play tennis, volleyball, netball, hike, do water sports, go to the gym, do tons of different classes (if you tell a gym you've never been and are thinking of signing up they'll give you a free trial class winkwink), train for challenges like the Desert Warrior, do crossfit, polefit, twerking, burlesque, pilates, yoga, zumba, martial arts....the world is your oyster! Everyone is in the same boat trying to find exercises that suit them which in return has generated a very wide variety of interesting and most importantly fun activities that were not available 10 years ago to this extent. You can find most also offer ladies only groups if that is your preference. If you are worried it might be something more serious, run some blood tests for thyroid, vitamin B&D, full blood count, oh and that pregnancy test everyone is talking about :-D Your body will adjust, give it time. But more importantly give yourself time and your mojo will be knocking on the door. :biggrin:
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 18:19
It's very likely your body is adjusting. When we moved here 3 years ago in November I had a flu non - stop the whole winter, hair fall and bad skin as well. Though I come from a very cold and wet place I had never been sick more than in the first year here. Your body is attacked by viruses unknown to it, there are people from all over the world here. So if you're not pregnant or seriously ill with time you will feel better.
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 15:40
I don't want this thread to turn into a law followers vs law breakers thread. So let's leave it at that. OP, you might want to try a pregnancy test, or try getting out into the fresh air more and not stop coupled into an apartment. Actually it's probably the dirty, hot air that is making her feel ill. Hopefully, to OP will start to feel better in November when the weather cools down a bit.
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 15:11
I know someone who gave birth to twins here when unmarried - but that was several years ago!
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 15:00
Perhaps you should try doing a pregnancy test? Breakouts, no energy, nauseous... You can buy one over the counter from any pharmacy, no questions asked. If you're not pregnant, it could just be down to the upheaval you've gone through in your life (moving countries is stressful!), plus the heat won't help, the different water & food, probably a different routine. Lack of fresh air could also be responsible, or an ear infection for example. Maybe give it a few more weeks and see how you feel once you've settled down a bit more and the weather has cooled, then find a good GP if you still don't feel right. Welcome to Dubai by the way! bye: Gosh, if you could be p[regnant, I would be trying to find that out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because you are living in an illegal relationship and being pregnant when you're not married could really give you something to be exhausted about. Please don't panic the poor girl. I moved here pregnant and unmarried. When I was seven months pregnant, I got married at the Jebel Ali church. People frequently read too much into this.
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 12:23
Perhaps you should try doing a pregnancy test? Breakouts, no energy, nauseous... You can buy one over the counter from any pharmacy, no questions asked. If you're not pregnant, it could just be down to the upheaval you've gone through in your life (moving countries is stressful!), plus the heat won't help, the different water & food, probably a different routine. Lack of fresh air could also be responsible, or an ear infection for example. Maybe give it a few more weeks and see how you feel once you've settled down a bit more and the weather has cooled, then find a good GP if you still don't feel right. Welcome to Dubai by the way! bye:
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 12:17
Living 24x7 in air conditioning I find makes my bones ache. As soon as it is cool enough to turn off the air con and just use the ceiling fans I am sure you will feel better. Cool showers a couple of times a day also can help. Perhaps you will have to adjust your makeup and cleansing routine to suit the new climate. I have found since moving here, many, many years ago, I have been unable to use any foundation on my face. It would have to be an extremely special event for me to wear a full makeup these days. Also, the I find, the less you do, the less you want/can to do. I am in between maids currently and waiting for new maid to arrive so am doing everything myself - working full time, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc - the first week I thought I would die, but now I am actually feel great and have loads more energy than I have had for years. Don't fall into the trap of sitting back and having someone do everything for you. Exercising outside during the summer months is impossible. You will need to find a gym - there are plenty of ladies' gyms around and exercise in a/c. Swimming is a good alternative for exercise if you are lucky enough to have a pool with your villa. Some hotels and also the ladies' clubs have female only pools which are great. You may need to rethink your exercise routine and adjust it to suit the climate. One month is not a long time and I think you need to give yourself time to adjust to the new environment. Life can be very good here if you give it time and allow yourself to acclimatize.
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 10:27
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. As you have been here a month - it may not just be the conditions here don't suit you. Perhaps you could see a doctor - but a recommended one?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY