Moving home - husband staying for 6 - 12 months | ExpatWoman.com

Moving home - husband staying for 6 - 12 months

Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 18:25

Hi, we have decided it's time to return home, and one of the options we're considering is for the children and I to go ahead and my husband to stay here for 6-12 months (to keep a salary coming in as it will likely be difficult to find work from here before we leave). Obviously this is not ideal, and we haven't decided anything yet, but wondered if anyone on here has had similar ideas and/or knows someone that has actually done it?

Any thoughts, tips etc very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 11:22
Hi, It is a big decision to return home. We tried it once and ended up back here since we didn't know many people in UK and the weather was so cold! I am in a similair situation at the moment,as my husband is working on a project for which he needs an investor.... Things are expensive here,villa renewal,visa renewal etc. We have decided to try and plan so we want to back,rather than having to. Go with what your heart tells you. Probably not very helpful,but with parents getting older etc it's a hard one....
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 21:22
Hi Lakegirl, we are planning this too for next year to coincide with my dc starting secondary. DH will stay a year more here to finish his contract and save a little more. Plenty of people do this. I'm not expecting it to be easy but we feel very strongly that we don't want our children to be teenagers here. Reality beckons after the bubble of Dubai and I fear if we don't go next year we never will ? My children understand the plan and the logic behind it. I think if your children are older it's easier. We are hoping that DH will come home every 6 weeks max and with Skype etc etc hopefully it won't be too bad.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 21:10
Thanks, Norak, I wish you all the best as well! Silvstet, thank you, too - hopefully this won't happen to us (should we go this route)!
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 20:40
I am preparing right now for the same thing. After 20 years here, I am preparing to return home with my two adult children in the hopes of trying to reintegrate them with family, friends, community,and also enable them to be more independent (job/further education) so that I can return. I am preparing for a year away. Insha allah, it will work out as I feel we are just spinning our wheels here and getting nowhere. If you decide to do it, I wish you well.
Latest post on 10 October 2015 - 19:50
Yes I know someone that did this and the husband didn't secure a job after 6 month, so the whole family moved back to Dubai again.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY