Arabian ranches - no car | ExpatWoman.com

Arabian ranches - no car

Latest post on 11 October 2015 - 19:10

Hi ladies

I am thinking of moving to the Ranches. I currently live in a flat and haven't needed a car as everything is in walking distance - mall, supermarket, park etc.

I also have a 1 year old.

For those that live in the Ranches, do you think I would feel isolated without a car?

I was hoping that in a villa with more space I might not feel the need to go out as much as I do now (nearly every day).

Your thoughts?

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 17:29
Thank you so much for your responses ladies!! Have worked it out with hubby and i think after your comments, it will be better to get a car! Thank you :)
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 17:13
Yes, you do need a car for Ranches 1. Even if you live close to the shopping centre (which has a limited range) you will not want to doing all your shopping on foot dragging a one year old to and from the shops in 40C weather for half the year. You will also find yourself restricted in your choice of everything if you are solely dependent on the local amenities; not only food and household items but also medical and social. If you are staying long enough to get your child into nursery you will need transport to and from there twice a day. Yes, you can use taxis but you are dependent on the skill and care of the driver every time and their ability and experience varies significantly. Once your child is old enough to be invited for playdates they will not necessarily be within comfortable walking distance of your house. The bus service is not that frequent and only goes to and from Mall of The Emirates; it always goes in the same direction around the Ranches, so it's not practical for 2 way journeys around the Ranches, as you have to go via MOE to get all the way round.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 14:47
I don't know the Ranches well at all but my concern would be about my child. What if you needed to go to the hospital urgently (I dont know where the nearest one is) How would you get there? I got a car as soon as I had a child. I never needed one before as I could get taxis wherever I needed to go
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 14:42
I am surprised so many tell you that you need a car. There is a bus stop not far from Al Reem, occasional taxi somewhere outside the Ranches or to Motorcity will still work out cheaper than buying a second car. In the cooler months, many use their bikes to the mall and even the golf club. There are supermarkets that deliver groceries as well. Very nice outdoor areas for children in Al Reem.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 13:40
Its doable if you don't want the hassle of driving and extra cost of a car. Taxis are easy to get. They arrive within 10 mins of calling during non peak hours. There is Uber and Careem as well.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 13:35
I've noticed there is a bus that goes from Ranches to Mall of Emirates quite often and then probably on to somewhere else. From MOE you can take Metro. You would need to live quite near the bus stop/s in Ranches. Buses are good - clean and cool but crowded on Fridays. I don't know how easy it is to pick up a taxi in Ranches - but you can always get a taxi back to Ranches. Or perhaps you could consider private car with driver for 1 or 2 days/half days a week?
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 09:32
If you rent in one of the houses in alma that have a back gate onto the street you will be within a very close walking distance to the community centre. Other communities may be more isolated, especially reem as it's so far out (will definitely need a car)
Latest post on 11 October 2015 - 22:54
You definetely need a car unless you live just next to the stores/services and satisfied enough with their products and prices!
Latest post on 11 October 2015 - 20:48
Hi ladies I am thinking of moving to the Ranches. I currently live in a flat and haven't needed a car as everything is in walking distance - mall, supermarket, park etc. I also have a 1 year old. For those that live in the Ranches, do you think I would feel isolated without a car? I was hoping that in a villa with more space I might not feel the need to go out as much as I do now (nearly every day). Your thoughts? Hello, I live in the Ranches and to be honest I cannot imagine living here without a car. The shopping center is there but be careful everything is much more expensive and some of the things have not enough turn over so they are outdated. You can lways use a taxi but you will certainly feel isolated A
Latest post on 11 October 2015 - 19:44
Thanks for your input cymraes :) It was actually Al Reem I was looking at!
Latest post on 11 October 2015 - 19:37
I lived at Ranches for two years, yes you need a car if you are 500-1000 meters or less from the shopping centre! The Al Reems etc are a long way from everything - but pools and play areas are always close

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY