Toilet troubles | ExpatWoman.com

Toilet troubles

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 16:30
Mines have been helping themselves to the fridge and napping in the guest room. I really don't know what to do. :biggrin: If you don't want them to use your toilet, just say no or may be you could drive them to the holier than thou ladies of this thread who have offered to open theirs on a daily basis.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 16:01
Personally I would allow them to use the bathroom, it must be awful to work such long hours and not have facilities to use. However.... I would check the toilet immediately after they used it and if they have left a mess, or dirtied my towels because they haven't washed their hands properly then I would point it out and make them clean up (obviously not the towel, but I would still point it out). If they have blocked the toilet then they, or their company must unblock it. I did it with my daughter when she was learning how to use the facilities correctly and I don't care if they are grown men, if they want to use my facilities then they have to be a good guest. You can point it out kindly and if they don't like having to clean their own mess, well, they'll soon either learn to do it right the first time or they will go elsewhere. either way your problem is solved.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 14:13
Mine have never asked to use the bathroom, so I guess they use the pool/park facilities instead but occasionally maintenance men etc. need to use the bathroom, before they go onto another call, so they do. Sometimes I have found people's phones on charge there too, which is a bit cheeky. When we had the pool put in, the company erected a temporary toilet in the garden for my workers and I had several arguments with people working on other houses coming into my garden to use it because they were not provided with toilet facilities and felt that they should therefore be able to use ours. I suggest you have a word with the companies your pool guy and gardener work for to agree the days and times they attend your house and also discuss the bathroom arrangements and the problems you have had. Then monitor whether they stick to the dates and times agreed. They must have some means of getting to and from your house; unless they are using public transport presumably they could stop at the community centre toilets before and after they come to your house if they are only there for an hour or two . However, we've all had days when we've needed to use the bathroom unexpectedly, so you have to make allowances for the occasional toilet visit.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 11:36
What awful, awful replies! Not going to be there for 8 hours? No, but they'll be going from house to house doing their job for 12 hours - with NO public toilet facilities - so where exactly to you expect them to go? These are NOT part-time workers, they are FULL time workers, that just happen to work part-time for various people! Going in the bushes is natural for them? Please get off your high horse, get out your ivory tower and join the HUMAN race. Shameful comments. I completely agree. He's a human being not an animal !!!!! Personally I feel the OPs problem is the fact he turns up every day and not the two days he is meant to be there. I agree GE. It is out of order to do it on the days they're not working there.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 10:56
I have never had an outside worker ask to use my facilities. The person who said that it would never be allowed in their home countries is absolutely right. I think they are taking advantage of the OP and possibly there is more to the story.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 10:52
What awful, awful replies! Not going to be there for 8 hours? No, but they'll be going from house to house doing their job for 12 hours - with NO public toilet facilities - so where exactly to you expect them to go? These are NOT part-time workers, they are FULL time workers, that just happen to work part-time for various people! Going in the bushes is natural for them? Please get off your high horse, get out your ivory tower and join the HUMAN race. Shameful comments. I completely agree. He's a human being not an animal !!!!! Personally I feel the OPs problem is the fact he turns up every day and not the two days he is meant to be there.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 10:33
What awful, awful replies! Not going to be there for 8 hours? No, but they'll be going from house to house doing their job for 12 hours - with NO public toilet facilities - so where exactly to you expect them to go? These are NOT part-time workers, they are FULL time workers, that just happen to work part-time for various people! Going in the bushes is natural for them? Please get off your high horse, get out your ivory tower and join the HUMAN race. Shameful comments.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 08:58
I wouldn't let them use my facilities. They are part time workers so they can manage it beforehand. Going in the bushes is natural for them, sorry to say that. In their country a woman would not let them in to use her facilities. In fact, I don't even know why they think that it is ok to ask you, you must have given them plenty of way. Do you make them a coffee too? I bet you do.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 07:27
I would let them use it once and then tell them they need to find alternate arrangements - like going before they start work. It is not a basic human right. It's basic common sense to go before you show up at work. They aren't going to be there for eight hours after all!
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 23:33
You're kind-hearted, indeed. I would NEVER let anyone use my bathroom, and if it is an absolute must, you would allow them only on the two days they are working for you. You can also teach them how to clean up after they are done, and have them spray Dettol, or whatever disinfectant/hygienic products you tend to use. Your house, your rules. Rest of the week, a big fat no. There is no sense in this, not justified, and IS dangerous. You are not supposed to put up with this at all.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 13:53
Whilst I agree that the OP should allow her gardener and pool service man to use the toilet, I feel that they are completely taking advantage of her kindness, which is not acceptable. They need to be there two days a week but they are knocking on her door every day just to go to the toilet. I am sure they work in other homes and can ask to use the toilet elsewhere too. It can't possibly be that they "have to go" every time they arrive at OP's house. I would be upset too if I were allowing them free use of my toilet and in return having it broken, soiled, etc. I would certainly expect them to leave it clean after using it. The second issue here is about strangers in the house. Some women (or even their husbands!) would not be comfortable having a man in the house while they are alone or with kids. Allowing workmen to use your toilet on the odd occasion is perfectly fine. Having them knock on your door every day and treating your home like a public loo is NOT fine. There are plenty of workers, like cab drivers, who sort out their own bathroom needs and the OP's gardener and pool cleaner are no different. They are adults, not children!
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 13:06
I totally agree that you need to give them access to your bathroom, but only on the two days they are meant to be working in your garden. I think that you really need to take control of the situation and explain that you only expect them two days a week and that is all you are expecting them to do. Anthing extra they feel they need to come a do, should be agreed with you in advance, no turning up on the door step unanounced. I agree! Set some rules, be firm about them that they should be strictly followed. Not entirely ban them from using the bathrooms.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 12:56
I totally agree that you need to give them access to your bathroom, but only on the two days they are meant to be working in your garden. I think that you really need to take control of the situation and explain that you only expect them two days a week and that is all you are expecting them to do. Anthing extra they feel they need to come a do, should be agreed with you in advance, no turning up on the door step unanounced.
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 12:46
OFGS! Have some humanity. How would you feel if you worked and your employer told you that you weren't allowed to use the bathroom? You're not even cleaning the bathroom yourself so what is your problem here? Perhaps you shouldn't employ a gardener and a pool boy if you cannot provide them basic human rights? Perhaps the below would be a solution for you... :\: http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/05/03/us-chile-retail-diapers-idUSN0237031620070503 http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/14/workers-wearing-nappies-over-fears-of-being-sacked-if-they-take-toilet-breaks-3924165/ I hope they pee and poop in your bushes. I second this! It's basic human rights. It's common decency to provide people who work for you a mode of excretion. Do we even have to explain this? It's common sense. I understand that your bathroom will be filthy but if you had an alternative then you can be picky about the cleanliness of the workers. However, you don't but that doesn't mean you don't provide them one. It's disheartening to know that servicemen don't even earn enough for the work they do and yet they are also being treated this way!
Latest post on 12 October 2015 - 11:12
OFGS! Have some humanity. How would you feel if you worked and your employer told you that you weren't allowed to use the bathroom? You're not even cleaning the bathroom yourself so what is your problem here? Perhaps you shouldn't employ a gardener and a pool boy if you cannot provide them basic human rights? Perhaps the below would be a solution for you... :\: http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/05/03/us-chile-retail-diapers-idUSN0237031620070503 http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/14/workers-wearing-nappies-over-fears-of-being-sacked-if-they-take-toilet-breaks-3924165/ I hope they pee and poop in your bushes.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY