Have I been scammed? | ExpatWoman.com

Have I been scammed?

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 06:27

I took my car into the approved dealership/ repair place yesterday because it needed a service and the engine was making a high pitched noise. We've had to do quite a few repairs to it recently so decided to get a quote from the dealership to buy it from us. The repair guy said he thought I needed a new alternator but said I should drive round to get the quote before he did any work on it. I left it with the dealership and came back 45 mins later. They told me the battery had gone flat in the time (mo problems before) and 4 system error messages were now flashing. As a result they offered me quite a low price for it. Am I being paranoid or is it possible they tinkered with the car and then offered me a lower price??! It is the approved dealership of a well known brand so hope I'm being paranoid rather than scammed.

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 18:27
Well yes, because your alternator charges the battery and powers the electrical system. I've never known an alternator to make a high pitched noise - that's usually a loose fan belt. Alternators usually take time to die and the car struggles to start a few times before they conk out.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 16:49
When my alternator went on my car my battery went flat too so it could be that they were telling the truth and it is just unfortunate. Really do not think it is something to get the police involved in.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 08:50
I would tell them that I would be informing the police and the DED. I would inform them for advice.
Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 07:24
Its all possible here in Dubai. People are back to the desperate money-grubbing of 2007 but it's a lot less obvious now.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY