Attestation of Marriage certificate- HELP!!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Attestation of Marriage certificate- HELP!!!!

Latest post on 13 October 2015 - 21:09

Hi Ladies,
I'm in need of advice:

My husband and I are British Nationals but were married in the city of Prague in the Czech Republic. Our marriage certificate is a Czech document with an English translation and an appostille stamp to show that the marriage is legal.

I am currently in the process of attesting my documents in preparation for taking up a post in the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and the marriage certificate is causing me a lot of difficulty.

The UAE Embassy in London have advised me that I need to get the document legalised first from the Czech embassy in London (not the FCO UK) before sending it to be legalised by them- but I am struggling to find out how to do that- useless website, no info. I am thinking that if it has already been legalised in Prague, should I not just send the document then to be attested by the UAE embassy or must there be a process whereby the document is legalised first at the Czech Embassy in my home country???

I am so confused and if you could help me seek clarification in this situation, I would be so grateful.

Latest post on 18 October 2015 - 17:32
I never bothered doing mine, it was too much hassle & have had no issues at all with anything. We're both British & got married in the US. All documents changed into married name, easy.
Latest post on 18 October 2015 - 14:16
Headache right? :P Since you are still in UK, follow Rawla's suggestions. My experience is a bit different because we are already here in Dubai. We got married in Cyprus. They were all very helpful, the Paphos town sent our marriage certificate to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs themselves. Then I called the recipient in MOFA in Cyprus and they advised me to arrange DHL to pick it up at her office (and pay 5euros), then DHL sent it to me here in Dubai. Voila! :P So I suggest also to try calling the marriage officials in the the city/town in Prague where you got married and if they could do the same for you? Unless you want to visit Prague again ;) When you get here in Dubai, you still need your attested marriage certificate to be attested more lol, you need to go to: 1. Dubai Courts for translation only if it's not in English. 2. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of UAE. 3. Ministry of Justice It's a lot of steps but worth it when you accomplish it by yourself, agents doing this are so expensive!
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 21:32
Thanks all. Can't tell you how grateful I am for some clarity!! Really does make me wish we'd got married in UK!!! But then again, it's nice to have the incredible memories of our 4 day party with 70 of our nearest and dearest in that magical city!! Yes, I had thought about just getting married again but not feasible with time frames! Just can NOT get hold of anyone at CZH embassy- all just automated info which doesn't help me at all!! Thanks- will keep trying! X
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 17:34
I'm a Malaysian & my husband is a Brit. Got married in Kuala Lumpur. As my husband will be my sponsor for visa, I called my consulate on how to go about it. We were told to get our marriage certs & translated copies attested by the MOFA in the country it was registered, then send the attested copies to the UAE embassy in Kuala, Lumpur to be stamped for certification. Infact, just this morning my husband took the already attested documents in KL to MOFA in Dubai to get it "attested". Paid AED 150 for each copy. So AED 600 in total. All we have to do now is fill in my application etc for a visa.
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 16:03
Why don't you just get married again?
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 10:54
The attestation process doesn't vouch for the contents of a document. It is done simply to ensure (attest) that the documents are not fake, so the appostille stamp that you have doesn't count, unfortunately. Since the marriage certificate was issued by the Czech authorities, they have to vouch for the authenticity of the document. Normally, this is done by the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). They will stamp the document and state that it is genuine. Since you probably don't fancy a trip to Prague to do this (or do you? ;) ), you can approach their Embassy in the UK. An embassy is a representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They may be able to stamp this document (for a fee), or send it to the MOFA in Prague on your behalf. If they can't do this for you, then unfortunately, you will have to either go and do it in person in Prague or send it through courier. All of this is a standard procedure that countries have for attestation of documents, but in your case, you may find that there is not a lot of information available in English. I suggest you call the Czech Embassy in the UK and ask them what you need to do to get your marriage certificate attested. Once that's done, the next step is to do the UAE bit, which can be easy or not so easy depending on whether your marriage certificate is ONLY in Czech or has English translation as well. If the document is in Czech AND English (i.e. does not need to be translated), once it has been stamped by the Czech authorities, all you have to do is take it to the UAE Embassy in the UK, have them stamp it as well (for a fee) and you're done... until you get to the UAE. When you arrive in Dubai, your final step is to take the document to the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs for it's final stamp! Phew, right? If the marriage certificate is only in Czech and has no English translation, then, unfortunately, there is an additional step before you take it to the UAE Embassy. That step involves getting it translated by a registered translator (can't just be any translator off the street) and then having it stamped by the Ministry of Justice as well (this ensures that the translator is bona fide). You then take your original and translated marriage certificates together, to the UAE Embassy for their stamp, followed by the UAE MOFA stamp when you arrive in Dubai. Makes you wish you just got married in the UK, doesn't it? Good luck and I hope it all gets sorted quickly.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY