Driving | ExpatWoman.com

Driving

Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 21:05

Hear that it is a nightmare - is that right or a bit of an exaggeration? My husband's italian so used to some pretty dodgy driving anyway! If it is that bad how do people get around? I imagine it's too hot and maybe too dangerous for cycling if driving is really that dire. I hear public transport is not up to much either.

Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 12:38
Hear that it is a nightmare - is that right or a bit of an exaggeration? Driving in Dubai, personally has been okay so far. Of course, you'll get the occasional drivers who would just cut lanes, but I guess you get that anywhere anyway. What really annoys me, are those people who would walk without a care and cross roundabouts! ROUNDABOUTS!
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 18:34
Thanks hoobs, he's from Sicily and I have to close my eyes in the car when he's driving there as everyone seems to become a lunatic when they get behind the wheel so perhaps it won't be too much of a shock!
Latest post on 18 November 2015 - 11:58
Its all very relative . Im in the minority as I think Doha is traffic heaven ( compared to where Ive driven before ) If your husband is Italian ( again , depends which part of Italy ) he will probably think its a breeze driving here .
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 00:17
To put it in perspective... I find driving on the M25 a piece of cake now, after 3 years in Doha!!! And previously I was too terrified to go on it unless absolutely necessary...
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 19:18
Sorry! I didn't notice that you were talking about Qatar! But at least you have a couple of responses now.
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 12:53
Blue413 is talking about Dubai which is night and day compared with Doha (I've lived in both cities - including during the construction of the metro in Dubai). Driving in Doha is very bad, and getting even worse almost on a daily basis. If you are at all nervous on the road, you'll find this traffic turning your hair gray. As for cycling? You'd have to have a death wish. Cyclists have no rights here and there is no margin for on the roads. Pedestrians are often seen as targets - but that's more an issue around the fact that the municipality does not consider walking as a viable option/activity except within parks. Do I drive here? Yes, but I am able to pick and choose when I do so for the most part. I leave for work at 5:30 am to avoid most of the single vehicle idjits. However, I have to contend with the minivans and buses loaded with labourers and lower paid workers, including the drivers who drive like they do "at home" which apparently means they don't have to obey basic traffic laws or common sense. A friend installs an airhorn on each new vehicle he has acquired over the years - it helps. If you do decide to drive, practice on Friday mornings when the roads are mostly quiet (especially if you go out early) so that you can figure out where you are, and where you need to be, landmarks and viable routes. I did that when I first arrived nearly 20 years ago and it is the same advice I give newcomers so that they're "only" dealing with the morons on the road rather than trying to also figure out where they want to go at the same time. I have also driven in Europe (including Italy) and Mexico for extended periods - they are tame next to these bozos.
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 11:08
Exchange current vehicle for a Challenger tank Remove seatbelts and indicators Never drive anywhere but the fast lane and tailgate all other drivers If you miss your exit just cut across all lanes Use your mirrors for makeup only Park wherever you feel like Always cut in line Then you will be fine :lol:
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:55
Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:45
Blue413 is talking about Dubai. Qatar is different, and more dangerous. More Landcruisers driven by reckless drivers over there.
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:35
Thanks that's really helpful. I am used to London traffic so hoping it won't be too much of a shock. Knowing that it is doable is a definite relief.
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:12
I'm from a smallish town in the UK and until I came here I didn't drive an awful lot, just lots of journeys of 15 minutes or so to the next town to work and back......so driving here came as a shock! It just is so different. If you are used to driving on huge roads with people with little or no consideration for anyone but themselves then you will be fine. But I have become accustomed to my new normal and I quite enjoy driving in Dubai. It is rarely boring and has actually made me feel like I am a better driver. I am a lot more aware of everyone else on the road and have become quite a mind reader! Walking anywhere much is not an option, the buses and metro are reasonably limited and so I say just get on the road. Expect to get hideously lost time and time again and learn to embrace it. Good luck.
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 19:45
So many views and not one response. :(