Do you regret it? | ExpatWoman.com

Do you regret it?

Latest post on 10 November 2015 - 09:03
I agree that most people who move from the UAE find it hard (although I did meet one person last week who preferred Qatar to Dubai!). I think it's the comparison that makes it hard - the places are similar and there are not a lot of things about Qatar that are better than the UAE. If you're moving from (eg) the UK or China the comparison isn't so obvious. Whether or not it's the right decision for you really depends on your current circumstances - why are you thinking about leaving where you are and what will you be leaving behind? It also depends on what your offer is in Qatar - finances and quality of employer make a big difference to life out here. Qatar wasn't my first expat posting but it was my first in the ME. We're moving on now and I'll genuinely miss the place - it's become home and we've had a great time here over the last 8/9 years. You do need to come with a positive attitude and be prepared to put yourself out there - if you spend your time comparing to what you've left behind then it will be hard. Treat it as an adventure and a way to make some money and you'll be fine.
Latest post on 09 November 2015 - 23:45
I left in July and wouldn't return even if hubby was offered double his salary. We are all different and need and want different things. I met people who like Doha and others loathe it, some just put up being miserable. I do think if its your first expat destination, then we don't know any better, but after being in the UAE, I personally compared everything. My hubby is normally the kind to just get on with everything, he also couldn't wait to get out..... Life for us is so much better in Abu Dhabi..... Good luck and just go with the flow..... hope everything works out for you.
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 13:59
I do have my moments - but mostly No ! I dont regret moving here . Like others have said - you make your life what it is . You can be happy or unhappy anywhere . Its a matter of choice .
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 07:53
Not meant to be negative, more to portray the Doha experience in a realistic way. You can be miserable at home, here or Timbuktu. Life is what you and your family make it. People come for the $$ or to further their careers (more the former than the latter in my experience) - and manage to be happy while they are here for the most part. But this isn't home and never will/can be - if you read the threads about the Kafala system on the Doha News website you'll be able to understand the lack of enthusiasm expats have for Qatar as a great place to live. Will I get out and enjoy myself this weekend, you bet. But not because I'm in Qatar necessarily, but because I can find/make my own fun nearly everywhere I've lived.
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 00:44
Thanks for the honestly everyone. Must admit has made me more scared not less as mostly seems quite negative but guess I can't say I wasn't warned!
Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 00:19
Do we regret it? No, not one bit. Amazing opportunity, lifestyle, and friends made. Would I do it again? Possibly, but with 20/20 hindsight would ask for a lot more money!
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 20:46
If moving from Dubai to there, no way. If moving from UK, possibly.
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 19:01
In my experience and in my industry, people come to the GCC mainly for the $$$. Some may benefit in employability from their experience here (oil and gas?). Do I resent this? No. It's buying me a lifestyle in my home country that I will enjoy. However, it is a symbiotic relationship. Qatar is paying for what I want when I leave. I am contributing to Qatar's progress while I am here. Should I be grateful to Qatar for this? Why? Is Qatar grateful to me for my efforts/input while I am here? All that said, it is unlikely you'll have regular contact with Qataris while you're here. You'll socialize with other expats mostly. You will learn a lot from other expat expats and your horizons will be broadened. good luck with your decision
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 12:40
Yes, without hesitation. One of the best decisions I ever made, both personally and career wise (although the latter was pure luck really). Notnewintown - are you in Qatar? Not that there aren't people who would give the same response about Qatar but it's a very different country and lifestyle to Dubai. I know several people who would answer 'no' for a Qatar posting and 'yes' for a Dubai one for example. Probably not many the other way round but the OP is asking about a job in Qatar. I was in Qatar and I intend to keep it that way.
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 11:54
Do you regret it? Not a bit! If you had the chance to do it again…? Yes!! For me this was possible it with low expectations, a lot of flexibility, openness to new experiences - every day! Qatar is an unique place and if you have the right attitude, it can be a success. With the wrong attitude it will surely be a disaster. Good luck !
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 08:34
Yes, without hesitation. One of the best decisions I ever made, both personally and career wise (although the latter was pure luck really). Notnewintown - are you in Qatar? Not that there aren't people who would give the same response about Qatar but it's a very different country and lifestyle to Dubai. I know several people who would answer 'no' for a Qatar posting and 'yes' for a Dubai one for example. Probably not many the other way round but the OP is asking about a job in Qatar.
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 22:01
Yes, wish we had done it years ago! It's an adventure!?
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:31
Thanks, good to hear
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 20:17
On the verge of saying yes to an opportunity in Qatar, very scary! If you had the chance to do it all again would you still move there? No. Never.
Latest post on 27 October 2015 - 15:53
On the verge of saying yes to an opportunity in Qatar, very scary! If you had the chance to do it all again would you still move there?